The PyDAW thread!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

codec_spurt wrote:Anything, in what ever small way, can lead us from the cancer that is windows, I am all for.

When I use the word 'cancer', I use it in its broadest term.

I despise windows and microshit at the deepest level. They are evil.
Agreed.
codec_spurt wrote:Almost as much as google.
They do promote and develop a lot of open source software and make the #1 Linux distro in the world (Android). They're not perfect, but they are a company comprised of some of the best and brightest Linux geeks in the world.
codec_spurt wrote:Of course you won't win Jeff old boy, but you will go down fighting.
Nonsense, I will definitely win... Microsoft will collapse, Android will become the dominant consumer OS, and I will be years ahead of most other audio software vendors who will then need to make the choice to either migrate their applications to traditional desktop Linux or Android.
codec_spurt wrote:Now feel free to tell me about how all those plugins would not work if...
Speaking of plugins, check out my latest plugin addition (2nd image):
https://sourceforge.net/projects/libmodsynth/

I had forgotten how much I missed additive synthesis :D
codec_spurt wrote:jeffh, I wish you a successful new year at least.
You too, brother :)

jeffh wrote:It looks like KVR made it after all, so it's time to summarize the temporary PyDAW thread in the temporary forum:

* PyDAW got super-mega awesome in recent releases
* Those who would like to translate PyDAW to their local language can now do so by following these instructions: http://sourceforge.net/p/libmodsynth/di ... /4a7f4d52/
* I'm spending some serious time writing actual music, so releases may be less frequent in coming months, but will eventually rebound.

I dont know if you have seen before it got deleted, but indeed I have picked the wrong file, so it seems to be working quite nice now, and I like what I see, great work, not really my kind of workflow, but very nice indeed. Great work!

BTW I started to translate it (around line 1050 for now) if you want to take a early look here it is.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-r7iT ... sp=sharing

pc999 wrote:I dont know if you have seen before it got deleted, but indeed I have picked the wrong file, so it seems to be working quite nice now, and I like what I see...
Cool :)
pc999 wrote:not really my kind of workflow
Was there anything in particular that you were struggling with or wishing that you could do?
pc999 wrote: BTW I started to translate it (around line 1050 for now) if you want to take a early look here it is.

Awesome, I'll test them in my Portuguesa VM when I get home from work tonight.

That document isn't public, I get this:

Code: Select all

You need permission

Want in? Ask the owner for access...
I'd just make it public read-only, this is open source software after all, no secrets here :D

jeffh wrote:
pc999 wrote:not really my kind of workflow
Was there anything in particular that you were struggling with or wishing that you could do?

It is more a question of habit/taste than anything else, and I really need to spend some more time with it because, I have seen a lot of new stuff I hadn't a chance to try , but time is a little scarce as I am starting some projects to see if I can earn some money.

Anyway nothing particular it is mostly 3 things that at first are a bit more discouraging:

1) the workflow isn't that much streamlined, opening and closing of the measures/item/squares to edit them, or the need to mark them as a group before edit them, or needing to confirm the name of the item before opening it.

2) I grow used to more "visual feedback", like multi-track midi editing, for someone like me who have a harder time keeping focus on something it can be very helpful to have as much info available as possible in any given time .

3)I really like well integrated midi controllers, I come from playing guitar, the less mousing the happier I am :D, I need to see how to program them.

But hey, I do complain about that stuff to big companies who have big full time teams working on the DAWs.

This is a really great work :tu: :!:

jeffh wrote:
pc999 wrote:
That document isn't public, I get this:

I'd just make it public read-only, this is open source software after all, no secrets here :D

Sorry, I though I had it public, I really need to pay more attention to these things, but don't worry I do review the translations and I have a very nice knowledge of my own language, so it will be a good translation, I do spend more time thinking if a given term is audio-universal enough to be translated or not, than translating it :hihi: .

Edit (a few more translated lines):

Cool, I tested it in my Portuguese VM, and it looks good so far... Thanks for your hard work :)
pc999 wrote: 1) the workflow isn't that much streamlined, opening and closing of the measures/item/squares to edit them, or the need to mark them as a group before edit them, or needing to confirm the name of the item before opening it.
Fair enough... Some of that workflow and grid-like MIDI sequencing exists as it is because future plans for Monome support, etc... There are a few shortcuts to speed up the item/region workflow though(just in case you didn't already know about these):

1. The 'item count' spinbox in the item dialog allows you to add multiple items at once
2. right-click "Auto-unlink Selected Items" makes copies of the select items that aren't "ghost items" of the original items...
3. You can copy an item by clicking on it, hitting CTRL+C, then ALT+V to paste it to the end of the region (or the item dialog has a 'paste clipboard' and 'paste clipboard to end of region' button).

...but I do understand how somebody could dislike it as a matter of taste, it is meant for some very specific workflows that may not suit everyone...
pc999 wrote: 2) I grow used to more "visual feedback", like multi-track midi editing, for someone like me who have a harder time keeping focus on something it can be very helpful to have as much info available as possible in any given time .
Visual feedback is actually something I've been looking into lately; I started working on a spectrum analyzer, a scope, and a VU meter last week... I'm not opposed to adding multi-track MIDI editing, but that one may be a bit tricky to implement, but I will look into it...
pc999 wrote: 3)I really like well integrated midi controllers, I come from playing guitar, the less mousing the happier I am :D, I need to see how to program them.
You mean, like being able to assign MIDI CC buttons to the transport play/stop/record buttons, etc..? I was already looking into it :D
pc999 wrote: But hey, I do complain about that stuff to big companies who have big full time teams working on the DAWs.
Me too, I'm known all over the world as "The Great Complainer" :D

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
pc999 wrote: BTW I started to translate it (around line 1050 for now) if you want to take a early look here it is.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-r7iT ... sp=sharing (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-r7iTtMI7C0MDRxdXFnVU0zekU/edit?usp=sharing)
Oh I was also going to apply for that. It looks like you beat me to it. :D

I know this is still a WIP, but as I skimmed through those files I noticed quite a few translation and technical mistakes in the structure of those files. Please don't take offence, I just want this to be successful. :wink:

In case you need help translating, proofreading or checking the files just say.

jeffh wrote:
Cool, I tested it in my Portuguese VM, and it looks good so far... Thanks for your hard work :)
I think the hardest part is being done by another :hihi: .
pc999 wrote: 1) the workflow isn't that much streamlined, opening and closing of the measures/item/squares to edit them, or the need to mark them as a group before edit them, or needing to confirm the name of the item before opening it.
Fair enough... Some of that workflow and grid-like MIDI sequencing exists as it is because future plans for Monome support, etc... There are a few shortcuts to speed up the item/region workflow though(just in case you didn't already know about these):

1. The 'item count' spinbox in the item dialog allows you to add multiple items at once
2. right-click "Auto-unlink Selected Items" makes copies of the select items that aren't "ghost items" of the original items...
3. You can copy an item by clicking on it, hitting CTRL+C, then ALT+V to paste it to the end of the region (or the item dialog has a 'paste clipboard' and 'paste clipboard to end of region' button).

...but I do understand how somebody could dislike it as a matter of taste, it is meant for some very specific workflows that may not suit everyone...
pc999 wrote: 2) I grow used to more "visual feedback", like multi-track midi editing, for someone like me who have a harder time keeping focus on something it can be very helpful to have as much info available as possible in any given time .
Visual feedback is actually something I've been looking into lately; I started working on a spectrum analyzer, a scope, and a VU meter last week... I'm not opposed to adding multi-track MIDI editing, but that one may be a bit tricky to implement, but I will look into it...
pc999 wrote: 3)I really like well integrated midi controllers, I come from playing guitar, the less mousing the happier I am :D, I need to see how to program them.
You mean, like being able to assign MIDI CC buttons to the transport play/stop/record buttons, etc..? I was already looking into it :D
pc999 wrote: But hey, I do complain about that stuff to big companies who have big full time teams working on the DAWs.
Me too, I'm known all over the world as "The Great Complainer" :D [/quote]

Seems good :D
stormpack wrote:

Oh I was also going to apply for that. It looks like you beat me to it. :D

I know this is still a WIP, but as I skimmed through those files I noticed quiet a few translation and technical mistakes on the structure of those files. Please don't take offence, I just want this to be successful. :wink:

In case you need help translating, proofreading or checking the files just say.

Thanks and none taken, still the first time I am translating a full software suite. I do know and expect to be quite a few errors at this stage (I become a typo master while on PC ) and I really appreciate any help (and I will probably need some), feel free to add/correct anything. I think that tomorrow or the next day I will have it done (at least the first pass), it would be quite good if you could contribute.

Anyway could you point me some of those mistakes? I am doing a more free form translation than a literal one, keeping some words in english (like "faders" instead of "potenciómetros deslizantes") approaching it to what is more usual to hear everyday in this stuff (at least around here). But would be good to know if I am making major mistakes that I will not catch later or if I am giving it to much of a personal touch, or even if it would be good to put everything in pt-PT (I am a bit on the fence on that one).

Nice to know about others PT users around here :wink: .

Edit: I will take a look to see if it is possible (and how) to grant you access to the file to be easier to collaborate.

pc999 wrote: Thanks and none taken, still the first time I am translating a full software suite. I do know and expect to be quite a few errors at this stage (I become a typo master while on PC ) and I really appreciate any help (and I will probably need some), feel free to add/correct anything. I think that tomorrow or the next day I will have it done (at least the first pass), it would be quite good if you could contribute.

Anyway could you point me some of those mistakes? I am doing a more free form translation than a literal one, keeping some words in english (like "faders" instead of "potenciómetros deslizantes") approaching it to what is more usual to hear everyday in this stuff (at least around here). But would be good to know if I am making major mistakes that I will not catch later or if I am giving it to much of a personal touch, or even if it would be good to put everything in pt-PT (I am a bit on the fence on that one).

Nice to know about others PT users around here :wink: .

Edit: I will take a look to see if it is possible (and how) to grant you access to the file to be easier to collaborate.
Thanks! I'll send you a PM with the details. :)

Awesome, I really appreciate it guys :)

Hi,

It is taking a bit longer than I expected, sorry.

Anyway Stormpack showed me this program that should make things easier http://www.poedit.net/download.php (sorry no linux or wine)

But he is also concerned because the charsets is not UTF-8 or ISO-8859-1, fearing it may lead to bad conversions (and inside the poedit it shows some strange conversions), anyway here it is what is done for now if you could check (please check the one with a (2) which is continued in the Poedit)

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

Looks good :)

BTW, just in case you weren't sure how to install a locale file, it's pretty simple:

pydaw@pydaw-VirtualBox:~/Transferências$ msgfmt -o pydaw4.mo "Language pt-PT (2).po"
pydaw@pydaw-VirtualBox:~/Transferências$ sudo cp pydaw4.mo /usr/share/locale/pt_PT/LC_MESSAGES/
[sudo] password for pydaw: 
pydaw@pydaw-VirtualBox:~/Transferências$
After you do that, next time you start PyDAW it should automatically pick it up if pt_PT is your PC's locale...

It looks like most of it is translated now, and I haven't seen any problems with charset yet... It looks like I'll probably be doing a release this weekend, I'll include the Portuguese translation, unless you'd like to work on it some more before I start including it in the packages...

I noticed that PyDAW's download count has been sky-rocketing lately, and I thought to myself "I must have gotten some free publicity from some kind of publication or artist"... Some quick Google-Fu confirmed it:

http://en.audiofanzine.com/electro-sequ ... 17344.html

...and also I have now been packaged in Arch Linux:

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/pydaw/

I'm not sure who is responsible for either of those, but if it was one my fellow KVRians, I just wanted to say thank you, and I owe you some sort of alcoholic beverage :D

PS: In light of the aformentioned publicity, I'm going to suspend work on the album to do a few more releases with big, exciting stuff in them...

jeffh wrote:Looks good :)

BTW, just in case you weren't sure how to install a locale file, it's pretty simple:

pydaw@pydaw-VirtualBox:~/Transferências$ msgfmt -o pydaw4.mo "Language pt-PT (2).po"
pydaw@pydaw-VirtualBox:~/Transferências$ sudo cp pydaw4.mo /usr/share/locale/pt_PT/LC_MESSAGES/
[sudo] password for pydaw: 
pydaw@pydaw-VirtualBox:~/Transferências$
After you do that, next time you start PyDAW it should automatically pick it up if pt_PT is your PC's locale...

It looks like most of it is translated now, and I haven't seen any problems with charset yet... It looks like I'll probably be doing a release this weekend, I'll include the Portuguese translation, unless you'd like to work on it some more before I start including it in the packages...

That is great and I am ok with you putting the translation on it, the Poedit that stormpack showed me (thanks :tu: )actually have a Linux version that we can take out of the software center and it is even better than the windows one with a (automatic?) pt-pt dictionary, made life a lot easier to catch the big errors. Certainly it still have some but I think that most of the work is done.

Anyway I am summiting it to stormpack for review, but I believe it is good enough to go public.

You can get the latest version in the same place (at least I think the link is the same, but in case it is not)

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

Nice to work with you guys.

Great work guys :)

The .po files are now compiled and packaged automatically every time I build PyDAW... They're stored here:

https://github.com/j3ffhubb/audiocode/t ... locale/src

Periodically I will run the src/pydaw/update_translations.py script that will update all .po files from the PyDAW source code with any new strings I've added... Then you can just download the .po file, update it, and give it to me either here or on my Sourceforge forums...

The pt_PT translation will be in the next release either tonight or tomorrow (I hope).

The big feature of this forthcoming release is that I replaced the A/B tab with a "Wave Editor" tab(that can also be used to A/B). It can already do the one thing that Audacity still can't do: run effects in real time (really :D). For now, it's pretty basic and only does effects, fades and start/end changes... Eventually, it will be multi-track, support recording audio, and all sorts of cool editing actions...

Audacity is a great piece of software, but some of the shortcomings (like no real-time effects rack) are probably never going to be fixed... I'm aiming to make PyDAW's wave editor the new flagship Linux wave editor :pray: :hyper: :love: :cry: :D

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”