Did KVR Scare the Reaper Peeps Away?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The part that says you weren't able to be productive due to the vast set of options. It was because you decided to adventure there, not because the options were there. The options set in REAPER is not the problem, the problem is feeling the need to venture there when there's no need actually... and setting REAPER as guilty for it...

- Mario

Gotta add to this... sorry.

Reaper DEFINITELY can be used straight out the box, with out tweaking.

It can be intimidating at first, but my 60 yo father is up and running with Reaper (his first recording program experience) and he simply sticks to what he needs to record multiple tracks and then mix down and export. He does what he needs to do in Reaper and that's it.

I use Reaper for video post work and I love the customization tools, because it speeds up my workflow. Plus, I recently found out about Vordio http://vordio.net which allows for exporting from FCPX to Reaper and again... it's all about speeding up what can normally be a lengthy processes.

Anyway, these days I see and hear Reaper being recommended to a lot of newcomers. When it comes to value for dollar spent, Logic and Reaper are still really hard to beat (I'll add the obligatory IMO). Although I don't know about Tracktion, I'm assuming this one will be probably added to that conversation too.

Oh and for the record... My main choice is Live, but I work PT, Logic and Reaper. My favorite out of those last 3 is PT, but unfortunately I don't like their recent upgrades (which are just catch-up updates, accompanied by a large price - again, IMO).

It's funny, but threads like this about Reaper ALWAYS end up in the same way. People pointing out the cons of Reaper, and other people trying to explain that it isn't in any way more complicated to do stuff than in other DAW's. :) Wonder why the human mind is so unable to accept that brains are ticking in a different way. Why even bother? If you don't like Reaper or any other DAW, just go looking for alternatives, as simple as that. I had to do after i used Reaper for a while, because it just didn't tick with me. And, as some already said, why would i bother with something i don't tick with, i want to make music, and not waste my time over tools i am not able and willing to use.

mabian wrote:The part that says you weren't able to be productive due to the vast set of options. It was because you decided to adventure there, not because the options were there. The options set in REAPER is not the problem, the problem is feeling the need to venture there when there's no need actually... and setting REAPER as guilty for it...

- Mario
Yup, I admitted that it was my problem not Reaper. I was just curious to look under the hood and didn't realize that I was spending too much time in tweaking things. Not all of it was useless though, some really helped me getting things done quickly.
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

I was definitely overwhelmed by the choices that Reaper offers, but the need to play was more urgent than the adventure in the deep closet.
This could also be the reason that I can't yet get used to the workflow and the overall feeling of the beast.
The extension are intriguing and I've got the tutorials which showed the enormous potential of this DAW.

I need to take off from playing in order to get to know it, and it could be a good thing both ways.
Maybe if we paid more for it, the criticisms would be less. :wink:
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

chk071 wrote:It's funny, but threads like this about Reaper ALWAYS end up in the same way. People pointing out the cons of Reaper, and other people trying to explain that it isn't in any way more complicated to do stuff than in other DAW's. :)
You've seen nothing until you try to talk about Logic in any capacity :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

Someone needs to mention the "go make music" aspect :hihi:

Oh and I'm right in the middle of edumacatin' myself better on studio one. Perfect timing :hihi:

Well, first of all, nobody said that you could NOT work with Reaper out of the box. Of course you can. But out of the box, it's not ideal for everyone. And many of the reasons why some people don't like it's workflow are things that can not be changed through the options.

I use Reaper. It's my number two application after Studio One. I use it personally and at work. I don't have a beef with Reaper at all. It's extremely powerful and efficient in many ways. But to ignore the fact that not everyone's problems can be solved through the options is unfair. There are features that people might want that aren't there either. Such is life. Name a host where that isn't the case.

I'm just addressing the comments that I see frequently here and elsewhere that say that you can make Reaper fit you, or that you can make it anything you want, when that is in fact, not totally true. Some Reaper users will insist that my attitude on it is somehow a hatred for Reaper, or some kind of bias. But not much I can do about that.

I'm very excited to see that they added stretch markers. I need to go check them out. It's a feature that I enjoy using in other hosts, so I am curious if they have added anything that would stand out in this area.

Brent
My host is better than your host

koolkeys wrote:But to ignore the fact that not everyone's problems can be solved through the options is unfair.
Not only that. Arguing that all your problems can be solved through the options or configuring the menus is also unfair. What if i don't want to configure for hours before i get started. Or even worse, what if i am a beginner who doesn't even know what he wants.

Also i think knowing and accepting the quirks people have with Reaper can only be good for the development of it. Arguing like "But it isn't in any way more complicated than in other hosts" because one personally feels so is not really productive, considering the cons people list are always the same.

hibidy wrote:Someone needs to mention the "go make music" aspect :hihi:
:o

Stark raving insanity, but it could just work ...
... space is the place ...

reaper peeps?
a fondant covered halloween treat?

They're delicious when microwaved.
Ableton/Propellerheads/Cockos Reaper/Logic/Renoise/U-He/Tone2/NI/DiscoDSP/Fabfilter/Xils Lab/Reveal Sound/112dB

noiseprovesnothing wrote:They're delicious when microwaved.
good point, a peep doesn't afford time for a full wave
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

chk071 wrote:
koolkeys wrote:But to ignore the fact that not everyone's problems can be solved through the options is unfair.
Not only that. Arguing that all your problems can be solved through the options or configuring the menus is also unfair. What if i don't want to configure for hours before i get started. Or even worse, what if i am a beginner who doesn't even know what he wants.

Also i think knowing and accepting the quirks people have with Reaper can only be good for the development of it. Arguing like "But it isn't in any way more complicated than in other hosts" because one personally feels so is not really productive, considering the cons people list are always the same.
As a former Reaper user, I really have to agree with this, and as a developer, I would say this is the likely culprit in why Reaper's development has slowed to a crawl... There's nothing wrong with Reaper, but it never fulfilled the promise of being better than any of the other DAWs on any metric, like myself and others thought it would back in the v1.0 and v2.0 days... Reaper is stuck at being 90% of the Cubase experience at 1/10th the price, and now they seem to be making a half-hearted attempt to be a generic Ableton as well, but they're way too late to that party...

It adds complexity to accommodate so many possible configurations, and I think it's safe to say that Reaper has hit the point of no return where any time they touch the code it's going to break something, because they can't simultaneously test all 1,442,782,553,777 possible combination of options every time they change one line of code.

The only real fix at this point would be to make Reaper5 a stripped down, non-backwards-compatible fork of Reaper4 minus all the legacy cruft and getting rid of all but the most sensible set of options, but I don't see that happening.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”