Did KVR Scare the Reaper Peeps Away?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Did the past implication that every DAW question on KVR gets answered with "Reaper" drive the Reaper fans away? :hihi: It's a little strange that Reaper added Elastic Audio markers in it's recent update, a rather large feature and a 5-6 year old feature request, and nobody has even mentioned it here yet.

Is this the new bizarro world KVR where everything is opposite of the regular space time dimension? :lol:

Guess we're just fed up with praying to the deaf. ;)
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My sales thread @ Market Place
My website with lots of free stuff:
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

chokehold wrote:Guess we're just fed up with praying to the deaf. ;)
:hihi: I know the feeling. :lol:

I did some low latency tests yesterday with Reaper and my other workstation, at 16 samples, 0.8 ms latency, with a moderately large project (39 tracks, 51 mixer channels) with plugs, while also recording 16 mono tracks on top of it, with no issues at all. All while recording Camtasia video at 1680 x 944 resolution and also recording Camtasia's audio to a 44/16 file via the on-board audio card's mini jack.

But if you try to contextually explain that to some of the EDM crowd, that many people (and many recording and mixing sessions) don't use virtual instruments at all, they sometimes don't really hear it. :) All they seem to know is ... "I can't run 7 instances of Mega Monster Super Synth at 128k bufers so obviously this workstation sucks and is not suitable for 'pro' work." :hihi:

Anyway, Reaper and my other daw passed the super duper low latency tracking and overdubbing test with flying colors.

REAPER FTFW, yay! :P

Yay, stretch marks! And stretch markers, too. ;)

LawrenceF wrote:[...] All while recording Camtasia video at 1680 x 944 resolution and also recording Camtasia's audio to a 44/16 file via the on-board audio card's mini jack. [...]
Related tip (for OS X): Screenflow also includes a great low-level audio driver for recording whatever audio comes out of your system. And since the demo version watermarking only affects the video, it can be a great *free* tool for some audio workflows. (It's worth every penny for the screen cap stuff, btw.)

Yes. I have a White MacBook and when I was flipping back and forth with Bootcamp a lot I bought Screenflow. It's a really great application, and it's a good deal less expensive than Camtasia. :(

And to your point (at least back then when I was doing both), yes, OSX core audio seemed to handle all of that a lot better than Windows audio. I haven't tried Camtasia on Mac but I would guess that it maybe also works a little better on OSX for that kinda thing.

Anyway, back on topic... Reapers "stretch markers" work really well. Good for Cokcos.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Camtasia for Mac is just about the same price (~90€) as ScreenFlow, also there's a bundle deal here where you can get Camtasia for Mac along some others for $49 only. ;)
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

Could they be making music instead of pontificating on KVR? :roll:

LawrenceF wrote:Yes. I have a White MacBook and when I was flipping back and forth with Bootcamp a lot I bought Screenflow. It's a really great application, and it's a good deal less expensive than Camtasia. :(

And to your point (at least back then when I was doing both), yes, OSX core audio seemed to handle all of that a lot better than Windows audio. I haven't tried Camtasia on Mac but I would guess that it maybe also works a little better on OSX for that kinda thing.

Anyway, back on topic... Reapers "stretch markers" work really well. Good for Cokcos.
Yeah, Core Audio is a pretty awesome framework. And so is Core MIDI. But the other part of it is that Telestream are top class at their stuff; Screenflow is arguably just their cheap consumer grade spin-off product. ;)
And as for pricing, again: for audio workflows, just use the demo. And perhaps find out why it's worth buying for all the rest - or not.

But REAPER stands for Rapid Environment (+some more), so following the logic of that name, Reaper users should finish first and have more time to spend on KVR, so... :)

Reaper users are also busy using new instruments/plugins,
purchased with their savings.
Cubase 7, and Sonar X2 upgraders, not so much... :)

Lately I am having a strange and annoying problem in Reaper. Using latest 4.4 with WASAPI at 48K/24b. Doesn't happen frequently but quite annoying. The issue is, every once in a while suddenly the tune starts stuttering for no reason. I have tried the following and it works but not all the time:
1. Closing and opening Reaper the song
2. Change from 48K to 96K
3. Changing from 24bit to 16 bit works
4. Just open Device preference page and close

Has anyone faced this issue?
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

It now stutters when I cycle a section on a heavy mix. Never did this before this latest update.

Weeper has its own forum, they are all moaning there....which is nice.

Kriminal wrote:Weeper has its own forum, they are all moaning there....which is nice.
Guess it's posts like this one that make me not want to mingle with outsiders.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”