The All In One Source Bitwig Information & Speculation Thread

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5

Hey Guys, thought I join again for the final days - my recent job is done so I have more time again... ;-)

As for the group tracks: they were there, but as I understand it the BWS guys were not satisfied with the old implementation and want to do better. So it was taken out several betas back for the time being, but will be back for sure.
Not in 1.0 though...

As for tags: they are fixed ATM, but for my personal taste very usable and well selected. You have an instrument type as well as a lot of descriptive tags:

MultiVSTOutput: Planned yes, Date no.

If you send me a UAD card I'm happy to give it a go ;-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

ThomasHelzle wrote:Hey Guys, thought I join again for the final days - my recent job is done so I have more time again... ;-)

As for the group tracks: they were there, but as I understand it the BWS guys were not satisfied with the old implementation and want to do better. So it was taken out for the time being, but will be back for sure.
Not in 1.0 though...
That is so strange to me. I didn't realize there were that many ways to do group tracks. Just a bunch of tracks that fold up to one. And audio bus with a tidy graphic. Trigger all clips within. What is there to be happy/unhappy with? Anyways, I was happy to see a record button on the group track though, which I'm hoping means that we'll be able to record enable all tracks in the group simultaneously. Something I always wanted in the Live group tracks.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
ThomasHelzle wrote:Hey Guys, thought I join again for the final days - my recent job is done so I have more time again... ;-)

As for the group tracks: they were there, but as I understand it the BWS guys were not satisfied with the old implementation and want to do better. So it was taken out for the time being, but will be back for sure.
Not in 1.0 though...
That is so strange to me. I didn't realize there were that many ways to do group tracks. Just a bunch of tracks that fold up to one. And audio bus with a tidy graphic. Trigger all clips within. What is there to be happy/unhappy with? Anyways, I was happy to see a record button on the group track though, which I'm hoping means that we'll be able to record enable all tracks in the group simultaneously. Something I always wanted in the Live group tracks.
Well, that is the user perspective. ;-)
For the developers, It has to work well internally and in the overall System/GUI/Logic/PDC etc.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi

For me it's quite exciting to see how they'll improve on group tracks. They seem to have improved a lot on other basic DAW concepts after all.

ThomasHelzle wrote: MultiVSTOutput: Planned yes, Date no.
Damn. This is such a bummer. In my own humble opinion they probably should have prioritized this over some other feature because this will definitely put off a lot of people. I'd probably be a good thing to put this on the feature description on the homepage in the VST section. If there's no demo and people buy BitWig blindly there will probably be tears and a lot of bitching over this :)
ThomasHelzle wrote: If you send me a UAD card I'm happy to give it a go ;-)

Cheers,

Tom
:D :D :D In hindsight, UAD ain't really worth it tho, basically an overpriced dongle, I dread the day this card stops working.

ThomasHelzle wrote: As for tags: they are fixed ATM, but for my personal taste very usable and well selected. You have an instrument type as well as a lot of descriptive tags:
Thanks for this. I hope user selectable tags will be added some day, because they CAN be really useful. For example in Alchemy you can give presets 1-5 stars and then sort presets according to this rating. Other uses could be how well some sound fits some genre etc.

sl1914 wrote:
ThomasHelzle wrote: As for tags: they are fixed ATM, but for my personal taste very usable and well selected. You have an instrument type as well as a lot of descriptive tags:
Thanks for this. I hope user selectable tags will be added some day, because they CAN be really useful. For example in Alchemy you can give presets 1-5 stars and then sort presets according to this rating. Other uses could be how well some sound fits some genre etc.
Yeah, I'd love stars too! :-)

Cheers,

Tom

tooneba wrote:touchpad is one of the worst HUD in the history. comparing with mouse is a joke I know. mouse is one of the best invention in the history.
This is such a narrow minded view.. sure, if I'm sitting at a desk and have a typical studio experience then of course I am using the friggin mouse but the point is that these new semi-powerful/usable tablets that are cropping up all over the place can actually be used to make music while commuting, sitting outside having a picnic, while enjoying a nice cold beer on a terrace, while waiting for the bus/train/flight etc.

Even when sitting in a cramped environment where it's tricky to pull out a laptop and use it's trackpad/mouse-joystick thingy that some use it is more feasible to use the actual touch screen for basic inputs like notes on a piano roll.

You just need to experience it first hand a couple of times to appreciate it. If it's not your thing then fine but don't underestimate the popularity of jamming out a few ideas while in a situation where it's impossible to use a mouse or a laptop.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Clip launching and step sequencing w/ Panorama
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpSVzXm4TZU

Hi,

So are Nektar's Panorama controllers the best control surfaces for Bitwig Studio ?

or are there better options ?

Hey again Thomas.

Cool find on that old video Echos, I dunno how I missed that all this time. The fact that they had a button with a similar icon as the one that shows returns and also another mute button on the group track seems to indicate they were experimenting with some other routing options. Guess we'll have to wait and see if they end up adding anything beyond Ableton's implementation. I hope it doesn't get too complicated though.

Having fixed tags is a bummer for me. Most of those tags don't really gel with my own way of thinking of sounds. You can't even add your own custom tags to samples and stuff in the browser? I was thinking of organizing my drum library with "808," "909," "vinyl," "acoustic," etc. I thought about that back when I saw the sampler originally, it seems to have three fixed fields to define what you can browse through and I was thinking a real implementation of tagging would mean you choose however many tags you want. Maybe that is just some simplification to avoid having a whole nother gui panel or something though.

bmanic wrote:
tooneba wrote:touchpad is one of the worst HUD in the history. comparing with mouse is a joke I know. mouse is one of the best invention in the history.
This is such a narrow minded view.. sure, if I'm sitting at a desk and have a typical studio experience then of course I am using the friggin mouse but the point is that these new semi-powerful/usable tablets that are cropping up all over the place can actually be used to make music while commuting, sitting outside having a picnic, while enjoying a nice cold beer on a terrace, while waiting for the bus/train/flight etc.

Even when sitting in a cramped environment where it's tricky to pull out a laptop and use it's trackpad/mouse-joystick thingy that some use it is more feasible to use the actual touch screen for basic inputs like notes on a piano roll.

You just need to experience it first hand a couple of times to appreciate it. If it's not your thing then fine but don't underestimate the popularity of jamming out a few ideas while in a situation where it's impossible to use a mouse or a laptop.
I was talking about best HUD as pointing device, but you narrowed the use situation and are trying to do personal attack? Nice try. I would try to recommend wacom graphic tablet and leap motion because it's so useful in a specific situation. Good luck on your using them as main HUD.

I beg to differ. The mouse is evil and should be banned. Or binned.
Studio One, OS X 10.0, M-Audio Oxygen 25 keyboard.
Old websites:
http://www.bitwigtutorials.net Free Bitwig Studio tutorials
http://www.macableton.com Free Ableton Live and Mac tutorials.

Regnas wrote:
kennyda wrote:
Regnas wrote:... And how is Bitwig on CPU, friendly or foe?
Seems ok, but have you got a specific test?
Nothing specific in mind.
But I would like to know if I can run Bitwig on a low-end PC.
Yes, it runs on an iMac. Boom boom!

I'll think of a comparison test and see what I can come up with. Seems ok to me though. Seriously, my iMac is only core 2 Duo, not much to shout about these days. An i7 is twice as efficient.
Old websites:

sl1914 wrote:I saw a screenshot about selecting tags when saving presets. Can some beta tester tell whether those tags are fixed or user definable?
They are fixed as far as I know.
Old websites:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”