The All In One Source Bitwig Information & Speculation Thread

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5

Would this host be useful if you're not into bleep blop tweeng twong doing-some-random-crap-here wobble wobble music?

By the looks of it, I would guess not.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

Well do you really want a response? Or do you just want to trash it?

Here's a list of people that use Live from ableton's website: https://www.ableton.com/en/pages/artists/artist_quotes/
I'll add Trent Reznor to that. You'll notice not all of them make bleeps and bloops. Bitwig is pretty much a Live reboot.

Thomas's "watering" file might not be interesting for you to listen to straight through, but that's the kind of stuff movie sound effects are made from.

It's no good for bands that you would need to do lots of takes and editing with, though. You could use it like a tape machine if you felt like it though. Record straight through or do a couple punches.

spaceman wrote:Would this host be useful if you're not into bleep blop tweeng twong doing-some-random-crap-here wobble wobble music?

Never go full retard...

Tom or other beta testers - I think this might have come up at some point but I can't find it: If memory serves, effect-plug-ins can accept midi input directly on a track and not need to have midi routed from another track. Can anyone elaborate on how this works?

For example you've got a synth plug-in followed by stutter edit or the finger or some effect that can be triggered by midi. Do both devices get midi across the whole keyrange? Or can you specify which devices receive midi in what range?

spaceman wrote:Would this host be useful if you're not into bleep blop tweeng twong doing-some-random-crap-here wobble wobble music?

Welcome to the bleep bloop hipster world. Are you new to this world?

Echoes in the Attic wrote:For example you've got a synth plug-in followed by stutter edit or the finger or some effect that can be triggered by midi. Do both devices get midi across the whole keyrange? Or can you specify which devices receive midi in what range?
All devices on the same track receive all MIDI sent to that track.

The prevent certain devices or plugins from receiving unintended MIDI notes you would need to use the container devices and filter the MIDI events. The various container type objects provided with Bitwig make this pretty easy to do for any device / plugin.

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

Totally not.
Some Bleep Blup Bömp musicians were highly offended, also some other groups like the Boom Booom Booooom s and the Prak Klack Friggledi-Furtschs.
I guess there will be a big discussion after the release about this ;-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

ZenPunkHippy wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:For example you've got a synth plug-in followed by stutter edit or the finger or some effect that can be triggered by midi. Do both devices get midi across the whole keyrange? Or can you specify which devices receive midi in what range?

The prevent certain devices or plugins from receiving unintended MIDI notes you would need to use the container devices and filter the MIDI events. The various container type objects provided with Bitwig make this pretty easy to do for any device / plugin.

Peace,
Andy.
Got it. Thanks Andy. Sounds like it will be much easier to set up a combined instrument/effect keyboard layout than before. This is a setup I love to do, like having a keyboard instrument on the first four octaves of a keyboard and then on the top octave have the effect triggers like effectrix/the finger.

In most DAWs you need two tracks in this situation. I used to use Kore to have this behavior in one track. I'd have to set up the instrument and the effect on separate channels within Kore, routing the audio from one to the other, set them both to receive midi and limit the zones.

Cool.

ZenPunkHippy wrote:

Peace,
Andy.
I thought you could not do keyboard splits yet?

The Live instrument rack is so sweet this way... key and/or velocity ranges... with hard cuts or fades...

So what about this hardware device in Bitwig? Does it work with plug-ins like how Ableton live's external device works well for sending midi and receiving audio to/from plug-in channels? Probably not since there is no multi-out eh?

Early betas did not recognise MIDI channels but the latest builds have added the following options to the "Hardware Instrument" device:

MIDI Output device
MIDI Channel
Audio Input channel
I thought you could not do keyboard splits yet?
Not sure where you got that from, it's been working for a while using the Note FX / Note Filter method. At this point I don't think it's possible to split by MIDI channel.

Here's a screen shot of a keyboard split using the built in poly synth.

"Note Filter" on the right is inside "Note FX" for the poly synth. Each synth in the Instrument Layer device is assigned a different range of notes. In this case the top synth is only playing bass notes (0 - 48). The next 2 instrument layers play higher notes, hard panned left / right. Unique effects may be assigned to each instrument since each layer is basically a complete device chain.

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

Good stuff.

By the way, it looks like 8dio have been preparing for the bitwig release:
http://8dio.com/instrument/catmosphere/

I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when reading your post! :hihi:

Did they sample rihanna for those?

ZenPunkHippy wrote: Here's a screen shot of a keyboard split using the built in poly synth.

"Note Filter" on the right is inside "Note FX" for the poly synth. Each synth in the Instrument Layer device is assigned a different range of notes. In this case the top synth is only playing bass notes (0 - 48). The next 2 instrument layers play higher notes, hard panned left / right. Unique effects may be assigned to each instrument since each layer is basically a complete device chain.

Peace,
Andy.
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the info... Not so nice as the Live Instrument Rack which has those great fade controls on it so you can blend split points and not just have hard transitions... The Live Rack also has the Chain Select option. I just love the ease of use of Live Instrument Racks.

Ouch. That's kinda harsh. :neutral:

Some of these products do have a more narrow focus but there's no doubt that the EDM market for software is really big, popular. But ya, there's a certain context there for sure. I'm demoing Tracktion 5 currently and it's a really great music production product for the money (I mean, really, really nice) but it fails pretty badly for me in my typical mixing context. The vertical fader stacks and layout architecture don't work so well in that context as opposed to a more conventional mixer layout.

But that's obviously not it's main intent or scope so that's not exactly a fair observation without the proper context. Bitwig might be similar, great at it's main job, not so good at some other things.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”