The All In One Source Bitwig Information & Speculation Thread

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5

pc999 wrote:
ThomasHelzle wrote:
I'm eyeing the Nectar P6 myself. Claes showed me at the party how it works and it's really awesome with the big colour display where you really see what you do in Bitwig and can do real deep editing remotely. I'm not 100% convinced of the keys (I seem to have a weird taste with keyboards - I only ever liked one, the Doepfer LMK 3 1.0 LOL) but otherwise it's quite tasty and seems perfectly connected with BWS.

Cheers,

Tom
If you don't mind asking, how much direct it becomes interacting with bitwig? From videos it looks like you can do a lot without your mouse, and one of the things I am really looking forward is to get that hands on feeling you get when you pick a guitar or even a HW synth, that let you do music instantaneously. Mouse and music just get a inverse proportion rate, the more one is the less is the other...

BTW can you tell anything about the integration with Launchpad and/or SLmk2 (a novation master keyboard) ???

Really looking for that!
I will leave that to Justin, hopefully he will be able to do some more videos about the P1/4/6, it looks really awesome.

Launchpad integration is also amazing. I don't have one but Claes was using it like an instrument doing all kinds of stuff I was hardly able to follow so fast is he with it. I'm sure there will be videos about this in time.

The Novation SLmk2 seems to be one of the deeply integrated ones, looking at the amount of scripts in it's folder.
Looking at the help page (each controller comes with a nice reference-card like html page) I see things like clip launching, play and recording clips, start scenes, switch tracks, return to arrangement, arm selected track, move up and down through tracks, access instrument macros, access parameters of selected device, previous next parameter page, select prev/next device etc.
You should be covered there as well.

A guitar has a very direct interface and latency free feedback, 6.5 oscillators, 5 exciters and 5 dampers.
A HW-Synth has (hopefully) one knob for each important setting but is in itself a lot more "brainy" and removed.
A DAW ten times more so. So even the best controller integration will be more "distanced" than any instrument that "just" creates sounds, which the DAW does as well.
My guess is, it depends mostly on the person using it if that works better with a mouse, a controller or a touchscreen.

I'll leave that to more controlleristic people to answer ;-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Thank you for the content manager screenshot.

Very good point for the "download in background" feature !
In Logic X, this feature gave me a good first impression.
We do not become technical hostages.
Live is such a waste of time on this point.

Today it's easy to record and slice audio into a drum kit instrument.
Tomorrow, with BWS, I need a sampler that works this way so I can build my own multilayered instruments, from my audio recordings. This should include audio effect processing of individual samples.
It's not enough to make a "sampler" clone and provide classical synthesis.
Live's "instrument rack" can layer / split instruments. It's one piece of that kit.

Please Bitwig, get inspired and go beyond Audiomulch, Sensomusic Usine, or AAS Tassman4 !
Music

what is the diffecen between Live's option menu's content manager and BW's?

tooneba wrote:what is the diffecen between Live's option menu's content manager and BW's?
You mean in preferences?
At least in Live 8 you can only uninstall libraries there, but neither can you directly install the content you bought/own nor can you update it. That was a larger discussion in the Live 9 Beta where the packages changed several times and you initially had no way of knowing what version you were at or what was up to date, so sometimes you downloaded several gigabyte just to find out it was already current.
I no longer follow the Live 9 development closely so that may be different in the meantime.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi

anyone know if the internal sample player supports alternate (microtonal) tunings?

ThomasHelzle wrote: I will leave that to Justin, hopefully he will be able to do some more videos about the P1/4/6, it looks really awesome.

Launchpad integration is also amazing. I don't have one but Claes was using it like an instrument doing all kinds of stuff I was hardly able to follow so fast is he with it. I'm sure there will be videos about this in time.

The Novation SLmk2 seems to be one of the deeply integrated ones, looking at the amount of scripts in it's folder.
Looking at the help page (each controller comes with a nice reference-card like html page) I see things like clip launching, play and recording clips, start scenes, switch tracks, return to arrangement, arm selected track, move up and down through tracks, access instrument macros, access parameters of selected device, previous next parameter page, select prev/next device etc.
You should be covered there as well.

A guitar has a very direct interface and latency free feedback, 6.5 oscillators, 5 exciters and 5 dampers.
A HW-Synth has (hopefully) one knob for each important setting but is in itself a lot more "brainy" and removed.
A DAW ten times more so. So even the best controller integration will be more "distanced" than any instrument that "just" creates sounds, which the DAW does as well.
My guess is, it depends mostly on the person using it if that works better with a mouse, a controller or a touchscreen.

I'll leave that to more controlleristic people to answer ;-)

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks, that seems quite good :love: :!:

ThomasHelzle wrote:I will leave that to Justin, hopefully he will be able to do some more videos about the P1/4/6, it looks really awesome.
I wish I could. I'm neck deep in work until NAMM I'm afraid. I'll see if I can organize some free time, before the new year, to do a video or 2.

I can say that using BWS with a Panorama (I use a P1 because it fits in my backpack) and a Launch Pad is a great experience. I use the Launch Pad for triggering clips and the P1 for controlling everything else.

I'd say they will very likely have a demo or a date to announce at NAMM.

They can't afford to stay away from NAMM, and on the other hand being there the second time without having a working demo or version 1 makes no sense either.

hibidy wrote:wow, you need to take you meds :hihi:

Here we go again......everything is SMOOOOOTH sailing and then WHAM! The nuke!
It's ok, the mods will fix it mate. Reporting now :)

Pretty sure that was a joke. It made me laugh ...
... space is the place ...

ZenPunkHippy wrote:Pretty sure that was a joke. It made me laugh ...
That's what I thought too.

ZenPunkHippy wrote:Pretty sure that was a joke. It made me laugh ...
Same here. :lol: Didn't seem directed at Theo as much as it was just bouncing off his post to catch the gist of some of the naysaying - with a healthy dose of sarcasm.

memyselfandus wrote:anyone know if the internal sample player supports alternate tunings?
I'd imagine it could.

Does anyone know?
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

ThomasHelzle wrote:http://on.ted.com/Thum

Cheers,

Tom
:lol: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Absolutely great!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”