The All In One Source Bitwig Information & Speculation Thread

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5

ThomasHelzle wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:Can anyone remind me if VST parameters can be re-ordered like in Ableton?
No, it works completely different than in Live - you have a list with all parameters and can then realtime-search for the ones you want or "fold" it to only show the automated ones...

Cheers,

Tom
Thanks Tom. I was aware of the search function. But I'm thinking about for situation where you select a plug-in with a device like Push or something that will instantly map to a devices parameters. If you can't re-order the parameters than you wouldn't have much control over the layout on the hardware device.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
ThomasHelzle wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:Can anyone remind me if VST parameters can be re-ordered like in Ableton?
No, it works completely different than in Live - you have a list with all parameters and can then realtime-search for the ones you want or "fold" it to only show the automated ones...

Cheers,

Tom
Thanks Tom. I was aware of the search function. But I'm thinking about for situation where you select a plug-in with a device like Push or something that will instantly map to a devices parameters. If you can't re-order the parameters than you wouldn't have much control over the layout on the hardware device.
Ah, I see.
Well, I'd say there are better ways for such a case in Bitwig:
- Similar to Live, BWS has 8 Macro Knobs for each device (but not only for groups, each device has them).
- But even better and made for exactly this scenario: you can have as many "Device Panel Mappings" per Device as you want. These are groups of 8 colour-coded-parameters that can be named and - if the device script has provisions for it - be used as "pages" of parameters in the device you can step through easily (The nectar controllers show those even in their displays).
For the factory devices those pages are already defined, but it's very simple to define them for VSTs yourself - you simply drag the 8 colour dots onto the parameters you want to control and give the parameter set a name and save it. Done.

I don't know if a Push-script can be legally done by Bitwig, but I'm sure somebody will come up with one soon enough - the controller API is rather deep.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

ThomasHelzle wrote:

Cheers,

Tom
It is definitely possible to reorder parameters that are presented to controllers. There is a complete controller mapping system that uses automate-able but allows much more flexibility in terms of assigning controllers to parameters.
Here is an image to illustrate:

You have the automation parameters on the right side and a page of controls which can be mapped on the left. You can create or delete control pages and you can save a page as the default mapping when you instantiate a plugin. There is also a means to assign some fixed mappings in case you have a controller with more than 8 controls.

Oops! Thomas was too quick for me. :)

Well, I may be quick, but you are da man in da know when it comes to controllers ;-)
I only have a lowly BCF2000 that doesn't even have access to those pages ;-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi

I know you can Pre determine the Length of an Audio "Clip" or Scene? can you setup like 10 Audio Clips and have it go to each consecutive clip after it records each one? just like ableton with the midi clips? you cannot do this with audio inside Cells in ableton. only midi.

justin3am wrote: It is definitely possible to reorder parameters that are presented to controllers. There is a complete controller mapping system that uses automate-able but allows much more flexibility in terms of assigning controllers to parameters.

You have the automation parameters on the right side and a page of controls which can be mapped on the left. You can create or delete control pages and you can save a page as the default mapping when you instantiate a plugin. There is also a means to assign some fixed mappings in case you have a controller with more than 8 controls.
Impressive! Every time I learn about some new facet of Bitwig, it looks effectively implemented.

Ogopogo wrote:^Way earlier in the thread Thomas was talking about how he was asking them to make that stuff modulatable since it wasn't, eventually they put it in and I believe he used it for this:
ThomasHelzle wrote:Today I played a while with the Sampler and the result was rather fun:

(Rightclick - View Image to see full size)
This is two LFO MODs, the first with expanded Macros, containing the second and that again containing the sampler.
(Only modules contained in an LFO can receive its modulation but AFAIK you can stack them as deep as you want.)

The three used Macros control the depth of the three LFOs used. They are static in the example.
The first LFO modulates the Loop-Lenght of the sampler and the speed of the Second LFO.
The second LFO modulates Pitch.
The third LFO modulates Sample Start.
The fourth LFO modulates the speed of the third, which is a nice way to get time-variant random LFOs.

The original sample is a fluid being poured out of a bottle.
Middle C held for 50 bars...
No other effects were used but the BWS limiter to prevent spikes.
I didn't automate a fadeout at the end so I did that in Ocenaudio (which I just saw is available for Linux too - yay :-) ).
No other edits.

This is the audio-export window of BWS:

And finally the audio:

http://www.screendream.de/stuff/Bitwig/Watering.wav
96kHz - 24 Bit. 60 MB.

Very capable for sounddesign.

Sounds lovely to me - YMMV. :-)

Cheers,

Tom
It kinda went under the radar at the time. The only thing I can think to say about it is that it is very wet sounding. :lol:
Hehehehe - yeah - it IS that ;-)

I don't know if anybody noticed in these screenshots but you can export ALL tracks and sends you select in the left hand window at once if you want.
Export is multithreaded and blazingly fast.

Cheers,

Tom

justin3am wrote:
ThomasHelzle wrote:

Cheers,

Tom
It is definitely possible to reorder parameters that are presented to controllers. There is a complete controller mapping system that uses automate-able but allows much more flexibility in terms of assigning controllers to parameters.

Oops! Thomas was too quick for me. :)
Thank you both! Very clever system. Much better than the Ableton way as it seems you can assign less than 8 parameters to a page if you want. You can't leave blank spaces in Ableton so it's harder to organize. Cool cool cool.

Got a question about the shortcuts, since they won`t be customizable in v1, is there a shortcut like shift+g in Cubase, like if you select a region, and hit shift+g it automagically puts the cycle marker over that region and starts the playpack in a loop?

use that quite often and would kinda miss it a little..

Live has ctrl+L so surely it will because its carbon copy of Live.

I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

Suloo wrote:Got a question about the shortcuts, since they won`t be customizable in v1, is there a shortcut like shift+g in Cubase, like if you select a region, and hit shift+g it automagically puts the cycle marker over that region and starts the playpack in a loop?

use that quite often and would kinda miss it a little..
In one of the Bitwig videos from NAAM, there was a glance at the shortcut list. It looked fairly extensive at the glance...

Yeah, the "commander." He also said it was context sensitive and I noticed as he was scrolling that there were a bunch of entries in the list for which the shortcut column was blank, so it seems to be more than just a shortcut list.

Ogopogo wrote:Yeah, the "commander." He also said it was context sensitive and I noticed as he was scrolling that there were a bunch of entries in the list for which the shortcut column was blank, so it seems to be more than just a shortcut list.
Looks well on its way to being customizable!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”