The All In One Source Bitwig Information & Speculation Thread

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5

Oh, I completely misunderstood. N/M, sorry bout that.

Ogopogo wrote:Thanks, Kenny. By "Open multiple audio/midi editors at once" I meant this: http://www.screendream.de/stuff/Bitwig/ ... diting.jpg

I guess I need to reword that though.

As for your notes about which features are big and humongous I'm not sure what to do about that except try to reorganize so that the most important stuff is at the top.

Gotta say I'm pretty curious about all the other huge features that I'm apparently missing. I thought we had seen just about everything to be seen in this thread. I was intending for this to be a complete overview of the biggest stuff to be available at release since that's when there will probably be most demand for answering these questions. I believe Bitwig also freed the testers up to say what to reveal what they wanted way back when this thread got rolling and that's what we have been operating on since then with no complaints. So maybe they are refering to keeping your whole review under wraps but not any specific facts? Oh well, I don't want to badger you, do what you are comfortable with.
That pic is actually layered editing. The layered editing is different for audio and the editors appear like that. Note editors are superimposed of course. You can also have one audio editor as an uneditable background for reference in layered Note editing.

Regarding the size of features. I dunno if you need to do anything, that was just my thoughts. I was gonna add more but then decided against it for the reasons stated.

I can state specific facts, but to try to make a comprehensive list of extra stuff would take time, and I need to spend the next two days re-checking stuff. There's nothing to stop you updating the list on Wednesday though. Also I accidentally published my review early 'cos I was ignorant of the 'no reviews before release' rule. Fortunately it was only up for a few hours before I took it down. So I don't want to push it by attempting a comprehensive list of all the features just now, which probably wouldn't even be comprehensive anyway as I could miss stuff. I did think of doing a pros and cons feature list, and it's a good idea, but I've not actually assembled one. I have written about 7,000 words though, and that's just the review. I have about 10 tutorials almost ready as well.

Off the top of my head I would say another big feature I don't think was on there was the way Bitwig Studio optimizes automation you've drawn or recorded. Have you seen that? Live looks rubbish in comparison. It's quite hard comparing the Live and Bitwig Studio in terms of automation and modulation though, as it gets complicated very quickly. Another is the use of single-key shortcuts e.g. [M] for Mixer, which needs a THREE key shortcut in Ableton Live.
Studio One, OS X 10.0, M-Audio Oxygen 25 keyboard.
Old websites:
http://www.bitwigtutorials.net Free Bitwig Studio tutorials
http://www.macableton.com Free Ableton Live and Mac tutorials.

hibidy wrote:Oh, I completely misunderstood. N/M, sorry bout that.
well, thats crack for you...

Ok,
I'm back. Happy to take some more questions.

I found out you CAN'T automate time signature changes. Here's what you CAN automate (regarding the Transport section):
Master Track Automation.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

From Twitter:

"track grouping is more or less ready and only needs some polishing... will be part of a bugfix update."

I'm not entirely convinced of the Ableton rip off other than the clip features and the editing at the bottom of the screen. I think it looks very similar to Renoise especially the GUI design/Color scheme. Renoise also has the editing bar down the bottom. The inspector bar in Bitwig on the left hand side looks handy. Can the editing bar at the bottom be moved to the top? It would save my neck and shoulders editing on a laptop if it did.

nice!

i wonder what can be done with this accent amount,phase and rate.. :)

tonkatodd wrote:. Can the editing bar at the bottom be moved to the top? It would save my neck and shoulders editing on a laptop if it did.
You can edit at the bottom by double-clicking the clip, or hit the 'edit (DUH!)' button to get a big edit screen.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I was meaning the plug in and instrument settings and not the arrangement settings. Sorry I should have been more specific.

tonkatodd wrote:I was meaning the plug in and instrument settings and not the arrangement settings. Sorry I should have been more specific.
Clip and arrangement stuff is can be edited in both edit views. Plugins and instrument settings cannot.

33tetragammon wrote:
tonkatodd wrote:I was meaning the plug in and instrument settings and not the arrangement settings. Sorry I should have been more specific.
Clip and arrangement stuff is can be edited in both edit views. Plugins and instrument settings cannot.
Cool Thanks. When I'm out and about making music I get annoyed with Ableton forcing me to do most of the important editing at the bottom 20-25% of the screen and wish I could just detach or move the controls to the top of the screen. Bitwig looks good though so I will still check it out.

Drool-wortly stuff:

Slicing and dicing loops is SUPERFAST, easy and very detailed. Did you know that EACH slice (or onset as Bitwig calls them) can have it's own time stretch algorithm (or not at all)?

There are 3 (count 'em!!) automation modes:
All forms of automation can be present for a single parameter. In this case, the absolute automation is applied first and then modulated by the additive automation. Multiplicative automation is applied last and has the final word, as multiplication always does.
The first one is similar to Live, the second one is like Live's clip modulation but BIPOLAR in nature (unlike Live's). The third multiplies both previously mentioned…..ummmmm, what?!?!?

And…AUTOMATION SNAPS TO THE GRID!!!!!!

Hey 33tetragammon, could you answer that accent rate,phase and amount question please?

Suloo wrote:Hey 33tetragammon, could you answer that accent rate,phase and amount question please?
From the manual:
4.2.5.4. Shuffle Section
These settings relate to the groove of the selected clip:
› Shuffle toggles whether or not the Global Groove parameters are applied to the clip. If Shuffle is off, the other setting here is ignored.
› Accent sets the percent of the Global Groove's accent Amount that should be applied to this clip.
For example, if the Global Groove's accent Amount is set to 100% (the default setting) and the clip's Accent setting is at 30%, then the clip will apply an accent at 30% strength (30% of 100%).
Or if the Global Groove's accent Amount is set to 50% (the default setting) and the clip's Accent setting is at 50%, then the clip will apply an accent at 25%strength (50%of 50%).
Since this is a scaling function, either parameter being set to zero (0%) results in no accent.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”