The All In One Source Bitwig Information & Speculation Thread

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5

Echoes in the Attic wrote:Yes this is exactly in line with what Dom said in recent interviews. He said for big studio multitracking, there are already powerful solutions like Pro Tools, Cubase etc. And that rather than try to cover all that ground, they were aiming at the music creation side of things, as many tunes are created directly in sequencers these days. He even specifically said this is the type of composer it's aimed at, not the producer who is tracking a band for example.
But still at a professional level, I suppose, a more professional level than those 75-dollar DAW's I mean...

To put it this way, what else would justify the high price relative to something like Tracktion?
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yea, i hope there is a good copy protection like u-he for example..a nice timebomb would be cool for those crackers :D

Good points Theo and Echoes.....I had forgotten about that interview with Dom.

Perfect! :tu:

The ease of music creation is the main reason I'm interested.

Only 2 days to go :D

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:Yes this is exactly in line with what Dom said in recent interviews. He said for big studio multitracking, there are already powerful solutions like Pro Tools, Cubase etc. And that rather than try to cover all that ground, they were aiming at the music creation side of things, as many tunes are created directly in sequencers these days. He even specifically said this is the type of composer it's aimed at, not the producer who is tracking a band for example.
But still at a professional level, I suppose, a more professional level than those 75-dollar DAW's I mean...

To put it this way, what else would justify the high price relative to something like Tracktion?
Well bitwig does come with 50+ devices (instruments and effects) and a session view. Those things can't be super easy to program.

dsan@mail.com wrote:Only 2 days to go :D
...they're gonna get slammed... I wonder if they have enough capacity for the first few days of downloading.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Yes this is exactly in line with what Dom said in recent interviews. He said for big studio multitracking, there are already powerful solutions like Pro Tools, Cubase etc. And that rather than try to cover all that ground, they were aiming at the music creation side of things, as many tunes are created directly in sequencers these days. He even specifically said this is the type of composer it's aimed at, not the producer who is tracking a band for example.
Specifically dance music producers.

A lot of popular music (Beatles, Floyd, Zappa, etc. etc. etc.), jazz, classical, soundtrack have time signature changes which Bitwig doesn't appear to support.

Also the support emails will be quite a few i think..wonder how fast a responce can be expected.

daExpert wrote:

Well bitwig does come with 50+ devices (instruments and effects) and a session view. Those things can't be super easy to program.
Yes, I have seen that big screen shot with lots of modules. It might even be similar to Mulab in that respect...

I'm sure part of the determining factor was "What will the market bear?"

Some of those at the price point you mention certainly have "professional" features in them.

And, BWS does want to be competitive with established solutions.

For what BWS brings to the table, and to remain competitive, I do not think the price is completely out of line - Although I will admit I would have preferred a lower price :hihi:

It remains to be seen if a cross grade price platform will be adopted.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

UncleAge wrote:
...they're gonna get slammed... I wonder if they have enough capacity for the first few days of downloading.
Well, use the NSA mirror :hihi:

pdxindy wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Yes this is exactly in line with what Dom said in recent interviews. He said for big studio multitracking, there are already powerful solutions like Pro Tools, Cubase etc. And that rather than try to cover all that ground, they were aiming at the music creation side of things, as many tunes are created directly in sequencers these days. He even specifically said this is the type of composer it's aimed at, not the producer who is tracking a band for example.

A lot of popular music (Beatles, Floyd, Zappa, etc. etc. etc.), jazz, classical, soundtrack have time signature changes which Bitwig doesn't appear to support.
Yeah that's unfortunate. Once group tracks are in, this is the main thing I hope is added, along with tap tempo.

UncleAge wrote:
We'll see :hihi:

I certainly will not be hitting it opening day. But likely within the first week.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
pdxindy wrote:

Yeah that's unfortunate. Once group tracks are in, this is the main thing I hope is added, along with tap tempo.
The lack of time signature change floored me. I can't believe that is not on their list of things to do right away.

But somehow I think we will all find work arounds.

I'm wondering if tempo changes are in? That will at least give some flexibility in time signature. More work but doable. In some ways.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

pdxindy wrote:No time signature changes (within a song)
That blows chunks.

I use Live for pitch/stretch, looping etc. but I end up using Digital Performer for more intensive stuff, but to me anyway, not having to do freaking math whenever you step out of 4/4 is majorly important. Here's a simple scenario even four on the floor people will do sometimes: a half or quarter note rest where all music stops. This essentially screws up all your bars afterwards without being able to add in time changes.... bleh!

dsan@mail.com wrote: I'm wondering if tempo changes are in? That will at least give some flexibility in time signature. More work but doable. In some ways.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
Yes they are!
Tempo changes are available and automatable from the Master Track.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”