The All In One Source Bitwig Information & Speculation Thread

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5

Download corrupted maybe? Try downloading again?

Gui is really snappy. Even moreso than reaper maybe. I'm not a huge fan of all the sliding animations and whatnot though.
Last edited by Ogopogo on Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ogopogo wrote:Download corrupted maybe? Try downloading again?

I did it twice ....mmmmm

Jolaff wrote:
Ogopogo wrote:Download corrupted maybe? Try downloading again?

I did it twice ....mmmmm

ok it works the third time :D

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
barryfell wrote:So, no MIDI routing means plugins like iZotope Stutter Edit are unusable?
No, midi controlled fx and devices that send midi are much more useable since you don't need separate tracks for these! This is one of the coolest things about Bitwig.

You could have for example Thesys loaded, then a synth and then stutter edit. All on the same track. And midi would go to all of them. You can limit the keyrange of each so for example put the midi sequence triggers at the very low end and the stutter edit key range at the very top.
Ah right I see. I had forgotten about instrument tracks being MIDI and/or audio.

Just tried it with a step sequencer, an external instrument and Stutter Edit and it worked great. 8)

Can you tag samples at all?

Ok I've found my first annoyance - I'm scrolling through samples in the browser, they're drum breaks. I've got the song playing and want to hear different beats over it, so I've enabled the match tempo function in the browser. Yet it doesn't seem to always detect the tempo correctly, some play 2x as fast, some seem out of sync.

Is there a way to set this anywhere? I.e be able to reduce the tempo on some beats through tagging or something?

Ogopogo wrote:First real issue I've run into demoing it so far:

It seems with the pointer tool you can only enter notes that are the length of the current grid division, and then edit their length afterwards. With the pen tool you can control the length as you add the note, but then you can't control length afterward. This is much more inconvenient for me than the Live way of doing things were you can enter a note of whatever length you wish and also edit any note's length with the same main tool. Basically you can draw in or edit whatever you want without it being a two step process or having to constantly switch tools.

Is there a way to make it work like this?
Does this not bother anybody else? This is pretty much the only thing that's making me hesitate to buy.

I've found that the display goes horribly out of sync... I'm quite disappointed.

Basically, I inserted Diva onto a track, played a couple of notes then recorded some filter automation. Just for something to listen to.

I then loaded up Fabfilter Pro-Q, and set it to maximum latency. I then duplicated it for a total of 4 instances.

The audio seemed to be correct, meaning that the automation is in time. But the display was considerably out of time with what I was hearing. I was hoping that they would have improved this over Ableton, I know it's possible because Cubase stays in time perfectly.

Ogopogo wrote:
Ogopogo wrote:First real issue I've run into demoing it so far:

It seems with the pointer tool you can only enter notes that are the length of the current grid division, and then edit their length afterwards. With the pen tool you can control the length as you add the note, but then you can't control length afterward. This is much more inconvenient for me than the Live way of doing things were you can enter a note of whatever length you wish and also edit any note's length with the same main tool. Basically you can draw in or edit whatever you want without it being a two step process or having to constantly switch tools.

Is there a way to make it work like this?
Does this not bother anybody else? This is pretty much the only thing that's making me hesitate to buy.
Seriously Ogopogo - this is a deal breaker for you?

You don't think you can get used to the way it works?

I'm wondering, since I have not yet had the chance to demo, is there a set of short-cut keys to change the tool? Perhaps holding the control or alt keys?

It seems something they could fix fairly easy.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Ogopogo wrote:Does this not bother anybody else? This is pretty much the only thing that's making me hesitate to buy.
Yes, I don't understand why they made it like that. Bugs me quite a bit.

I don't like that method either but you can alter the length some by clicking then dragging cursor
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Works here, but the mouse positioning to get the sizing cursor is a little touchy / tiny (the target) when the note is small.

Double click to create a note and then size without changing tools...

It's much easier when the note is vertically taller.
Last edited by LawrenceF on Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Another option is to use number keys 1 - 5 to change the mouse function as required. It's pretty intuitive once you get used to it.

Some kind of advanced multi-tool would be useful for MIDI editing (and other tasks), though.

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

dsan@mail.com wrote:Seriously Ogopogo - this is a deal breaker for you?

You don't think you can get used to the way it works?

I'm wondering, since I have not yet had the chance to demo, is there a set of short-cut keys to change the tool? Perhaps holding the control or alt keys?

It seems something they could fix fairly easy.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
I dunno, going to live instead seems like overkill considering how much stuff I love about bitwig. But it is seriously annoying that it works like this. Why do a two step process to enter notes when you could have a one step one? It really adds a lot of work to midi composing.

I'm really hoping I'm missing something here. Or maybe it's a bug. If not, maybe they could just add it, since double click drag with the pointer tool does nothing so it wouldn't mess anything up.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”