The All In One Source Bitwig Information & Speculation Thread

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5

Alien!

LawrenceF wrote:
codec_spurt wrote:You, who have claimed to go 'meh' over this daw. Are posting in a public thread about others that are going 'meh', just to say 'meh'..

f**king hell LawrenceF, you really have outdone yourself this time.
Lol. :) Hey, it's KVR, anything goes.

But yes, any curiosity i had about the app has been satisfied weeks ago, so me wondering out loud why anyone like me who clearly doesn't want to even buy or use the thing in it's current state is still moaning over it's functions or lack of is... as you quite correctly say... not really my business. :)

Point taken. I'll keep those kinds of thoughts to myself in the future.

Thanks for nudging me back on track. You are, of course, correct.
Nah, I got ya LawrenceF. I understand where you're at, even if I don't know where you're coming from.

I can see you are lost deep deep in DAW land. And I got to say, even though I said it before (and you probably think it can't be said too much), you are a really really good producer with excellent taste. And the fact that you take the time to help others so much really goes in your favour.

I think you are allowed a bit of irony or sarcasm.

Just be thankful you never totally lost it like me. It's not a pretty sight. Especially when it's you.

But enough of that.

I think we are pretty much dead on agreement with our views on Bitwig.

So what?

It's really not a big deal.

Others love it.
And that is great. Some people will make some excellent music with it.
But we have time (if not money) invested with our stuff.
It is going to take a lot to impress us.

But I must say, I was very very impressed by Bitwig running on Linux. Its stability and whole patch management. Very well thought out and implemented.

Just nothing new to the party for me with my stuff. I really love Ableton. I have to agree with Chris Randall from Audio Damage here, Bitwig really put a cracker up the arse of Ableton.

I love them all. It's nice to just muse on the subject sometimes. That is what KVR is for.

8)

well, whatever suits is fine, i started with fruity loops (3 i think) then did a long time nothing, started again with logic 7 and moved from there to cubase 4 until 6.5..some time with ableton but didn`t like it so back to cubase and now i hope to see a good combination of cubase and live. But i wouldn`t go that far to combine several hosts just for one track, that would drive me nuts in terms of workflow imo..

hibidy wrote:@too many hosts:

Er, how do you find one that works w/o trying them all :hihi:

Ask Lawrence, I was in perpetual hell for a while and then quite by accident rediscovered live. I was also able to to start using studio one not much longer after that. It's certainly not "bliss" but I'm pretty happy for the most part. I can't sell sonar or fl studio, so I'm stuck with those (FL for who knows how many years, I try it every year and hate it :hihi: )

I also have reaper, which I used for quite some time but got fed up with not being able to edit multi midi clips. I know you can do it now, but I'm kinda over reaper :ud:

So, there you have it. Many of us are multi-hostal and it goes with the territory unless you really luck out the first time.

http://pitchblack.bandcamp.com/album/rude-mechanicals

Just for the crack - they use Ableton and they even post on the Ableton forum - good guys - super talented - humble and exceptional.

I might be misquoting here, but is it 'boob's over at the Analog Industries blog that says he loves and hates all DAWs in equal measure? Whatevs, that's me too.

And you by the sound of it. It is just the way it has to be. Jeebus. The worst thing would be if they all came together to create a final DAW - One DAW to rule them all. f**k - there would be a blood bath!

And I know you play about with guitar hibidy, so that complicates things further.

Still. Ableton 9 is revolutionary though I know some well respected producers hate it.

Good job none of us are getting paid eh?

Bitwig is a good thing. They will come into their own, cat pics or no. Warez or no.

All I can say is, I have never ever run anything else off a usb stick as powerful as this. There is no competition for Linux. For windows, I can't say. For Mac, same.

For Linux, Bitwig rules!

@Codec:

My comment / attempt at humor was, as you say, meta-bs. As to Bitwig the daw itself, I actually think it has great long term potential, so I certainly wasn't trying to rag on anyone who likes it. On the contrary, I was more joking around saying that those who currently don't like it so much should maybe not spend so much time not liking it. :)

But as you very correctly said, and thanks again, that's quite literally not my business, to suggest to others what they should and should not dwell on.

Thanks Codec.

Suloo wrote:well, whatever suits is fine, i started with fruity loops (3 i think) then did a long time nothing, started again with logic 7 and moved from there to cubase 4 until 6.5..some time with ableton but didn`t like it so back to cubase and now i hope to see a good combination of cubase and live. But i wouldn`t go that far to combine several hosts just for one track, that would drive me nuts in terms of workflow imo..
Do you think it doesn't drive me nuts?

But it evens out over time.

It's fun. It is sophisticated. It is a return on your investment. You learn where your money is better spent next time.

I have already spent a shed load more than most.

Ok.

What did I buy today? Just the ReWire extension by XT Software. Might come in handy. Don't really need it. Just wanted to say thanks for updating an already great (if flawed) program.

You say that you wouldn't do this or that, but me, as a master producer would never make such claims and say I would never do this or that. You are putting your limitations onto the field. Don't do that. You don't even need to think outside the box. Just accept that some times others do.

Ok, patronising lesson no. 1 over.

You can tell me to f**k off now.

eh eh..

LawrenceF wrote:@Codec:

My comment / attempt at humor was, as you say, meta-bs. As to Bitwig the daw itself, I actually think it has great long term potential, so I certainly wasn't trying to rag on anyone who likes it. On the contrary, I was more joking around saying that those who currently don't like it so much should maybe not spend so much time not liking it. :)

But as you very correctly said, and thanks again, that's quite literally not my business, to suggest to others what they should and should not dwell on.

Thanks Codec.

f**k, are you taking the piss mate?

I Know where you were coming from.

Not at all, i agree with everything you said.

Bear with me, or excuse me.. I'm not always fluent in some of the phrases so sometimes i might not get everything correctly the first time, cultural differences being what they are and all.

lotus2035 wrote:Alien!
Very nice, I'll need your home address to mail you the pennies. Or I could just paypal it :hihi:

codec_spurt wrote: I might be misquoting here, but is it 'boob's over at the Analog Industries blog that says he loves and hates all DAWs in equal measure? Whatevs, that's me too.
That sounds about right. A necessary evil if I want to continue my path.

hibidy wrote:
codec_spurt wrote: I might be misquoting here, but is it 'boob's over at the Analog Industries blog that says he loves and hates all DAWs in equal measure? Whatevs, that's me too.
That sounds about right. A necessary evil if I want to continue my path.
Yep. So true here as well.
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Could memyselfandus please omit "Speculation" from the title of the thread, I think we are past that at this point. :wink:

also... what happened to more cat pic's? those are about the only meaningful reason to keep this thread alive, the one on the previous page of the cat in the bag is pretty close to where we are at, at the moment... if it was out of the bag it would have been dead on.

CTStump wrote:Could memyselfandus please omit "Speculation" from the title of the thread, I think we are past that at this point. :wink:

also... what happened to more cat pic's? those are about the only meaningful reason to keep this thread alive, the one on the previous page of the cat in the bag is pretty close to where we are at, at the moment... if it was out of the bag it would have been dead on.
You must remember that this is at least the 3rd incarnation of this thread. Originally it was "bitwig to do public beta?" and then something else before a mod changed it to this. Also, cat pics were tried to do away with.

I agree the thread has run it's course though. It's kinda fun, and I like talking about it but I wouldn't be opposed to a locking. There is the bitwig thread now and they are what they are.

codec_spurt wrote: You say that you wouldn't do this or that, but me, as a master producer would never make such claims and say I would never do this or that. You are putting your limitations onto the field. Don't do that. You don't even need to think outside the box. Just accept that some times others do.

Ok, patronising lesson no. 1 over.

You can tell me to f**k off now.

eh eh..
no need for telling you to f**k off, as you might have read i wrote that whatever suits is fine, so if you enjoy that it`s fine, i do accept this. Still i`m allowed to put out my opinion, even on other peoples workflow and when i say that i wouldn`t go that far i`m not telling you that you shouldn`t.. Also i see no relationship between not being (what i think you try to imply) a master producer (whatever that means), but just do this as a hobby. Are you trying to say, that you produce masters, like you are doing mastering, or that you are some kind of master of the universe, who has the ultimate master plan on workflow? However, by telling me to not do this or that you lever out your own argument..

Anyway, as i said i also tried quite a few Daws and maybe am not that sophisticated like you, or i`m just happy with what i got and therefore know it inside out and found a way that suits me.

Sure there is always room for improvement, hence why i checked out bitwig and came to the point that due to some limitations it`s not yet ready for me to consider a switch.

Well, this can go on and on so feel free to do your patronising no.2 on me and i will check if it`s worth taking it further.. ;)

hibidy wrote:@too many hosts:

Er, how do you find one that works w/o trying them all :hihi:

Ask Lawrence, I was in perpetual hell for a while ....
True. From a purely objective outside view, we all, myself included obviously, probably look like a bunch of spoiled whiney bitches. :hihi:

The tools we have now were quite literally unimaginable a couple of decades ago, fantastic, affordable, powerful, and yet, it's never really enough. We often expect near perfection, which is a really big unicorn. :lol:

Also... "The Sleprock Effect" ... is a well known phenomenon with technology in general. :) Sometimes we run into situations with technology where nothing really works like it's supposed to, and/or as well as it does for almost everyone else and it's highly annoying. 1000 people will buy the exact same new car model and a certain small percentage of them will get what appears to be a relative "lemon" that's always in the repair shop. :)

In those cases we usually look to blame someone for it, when sometimes it's just really awful luck. :) For example, i got pretty lucky and got a d8b that never had any issues really while some others had all kinds of problems. Same console. And, of course, granted, sometimes it actually is poor manufacturing or coding or design. :hihi: And sometimes the UPS guy maybe dropped or mishandled your box and didn't tell anyone. :lol:

But yeah, once you do find something that works reliably for you, be happy, and mostly try to leave it alone. :hihi:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”