The All In One Source Bitwig Information & Speculation Thread

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5

I had some crashes with bounce yesterday but getting the 1.03 update or whatever to check again is problematic.

For some unknown reason my ISP just doesn't like that server. :( To the point of even resetting my router, cutting me off and making me put in the router password again. I download various updates at 100mb + all the time with no issue but in this particular case it keeps cutting me off before the download finishes. It took me 4 attempts to get 1.01.

I'll keep trying to get 1.03 though.

As a random observation: I often wonder why DAW companies don't also use optional FTP servers. At least those downloads would be resumeable.

I updated my 16-Channel Controller Script to support per-Channel CCs and -PolyAT.
This works for the normal "Midi Layer" like assigning the Mod-Wheel to something in the PolySynth.
I haven't found out yet how to separate Channels for GUI Automation like Macro-Knobs etc.
If anybody has a hint, I'm all ears. ;-)
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6#p5693456

Cheers,

Tom

For Lawrence:
Do direct Downloads help? I think it's still 1.02 though:
http://packs.bitwig.com/downloads/Bitwi ... 01.0.2.msi
http://packs.bitwig.com/downloads/Bitwi ... 01.0.2.dmg
http://packs.bitwig.com/downloads/bitwi ... -1.0.2.deb

Those downloads are resumeable as well, Opera 12 for instance has that feature and many downloader-plugins offer it.
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Thanks Thomas.

If this current attempt fails I'll try the direct link.

LawrenceF - you may also want to consider a down loader program; for instance iGetter.

I most often use this one myself as it is reliable and does resume in case of interruption.

You will find it here if you are interested:
http://www.igetter.net/

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Yeah. I need to find something. :( It just did it again, stopped at 20.1 mb and disconnected my router. Maybe I need to try a different browser than Chrome... dunno... or search to see if Chrome has a plugin for resumable downloads.

I'll try one of Thomas's direct links now.

Thanks guys.

P.S. Actually, those direct links he posted are the same links the app uses... so... I'll just keep trying until it goes all the way through. It's almost like that server is throttling or something, downloading from there takes all my bandwidth and unlike other downloads, I can't really do anything else on the net while the download is going on.

I'll try it from my Win 8 lappie with IE.

I'll add, with a down load program you will find increased speed. They manage to up normal speeds obtainable via a browser. Much faster dl's ;)

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

I got it.

It's just the case - for some unknown technical reason beyond my understanding - that my ISP and that server only get along if nothing else is happening on the net while it's downloading. So ... starting the download and not doing anything else on the net (not entertaining myself with KVR threads while I wait :hihi:) worked on the first try.

No clue why that is, and why just there :shrug: ... but now I know so... not an issue.

Thanks DSan.

P.S. A small thing (thought I was nuts at first :hihi:) the splash screen for 1.02 still says "1.01". :lol:

Glad to hear LawrenceF :tu:

Let us know how you get along with the version update.

My 1.01 seems rock solid so I'm not in any hurry to spend the time dl'g if it's not absolutely necessary.....at least until things calm down a bit and/or I decide to take the plunge. Which is looking likely.

The MIDI capabilities, or should I say lacking MIDI capabilities are the hold back for me at this time.

EDIT: Oh, forgot to mention @ Thomas - thanks very much for your contributions of enhancements. You and LawrenceF (with his S1 contributions) are hard to find gems today :tu:

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

dsan@mail.com wrote:The MIDI capabilities, or should I say lacking MIDI capabilities are the hold back for me at this time.

EDIT: Oh, forgot to mention @ Thomas - thanks very much for your contributions of enhancements. You and LawrenceF (with his S1 contributions) are hard to find gems today :tu:

Happy Musiking!
dsan
You're welcome.
I enjoy the more sane communications with people like you too ;-)

You mean midi routing from track to track or what is the most critical for you?

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi

What is the intended workflow in Bitwig for making a user library of presets?

Are people just adding them in with the Bitwig library? Thoughts anyone?

ThomasHelzle wrote:....You mean midi routing from track to track or what is the most critical for you?

Cheers,

Tom
I had a little time to play around last night and I find routing MIDI track to track very convenient and implemented in a way that is easily understandable.

The more I get to spend some time with BWS the more I am liking it, definitely.

And so stable on my machine - unbelievable compared to Live. No glitches so far.

What I miss most, so far, is the ability to run MIDI over LAN.

Being able to send MIDI back and forth between computers has totally enhanced my work methods. I really don't know yet if I want to do without that or if I want to move the programs on comp. #2 over and do everything on one computer again.

That's not so much joy once one gets used to a multi set-up.

It is doable, obviously, and I am most enjoying what I have so far with BWS, so the positives are outweighing the negatives.

If I can figure a way to get MIDI over LAN, game over and here's my card!

But until then I continue to weigh the +'s / -'s.

I think truly that is my only stumbling block - MIDI over LAN. I realize this has been promised for v2; however, when will v2 arrive? And when it does will it be a paid update?

Naturally, these are rhetorical questions so in the meantime I'll continue to demo and ponder the +/- situation ;)

Also, in the meantime, I'll bet some enterprising really smart person will come up with a method :hihi:

Thank you for the compliment Thomas! I try :oops:

Happy Musiking!
dsan

Addendum: Oddly, BWS recognizes the LAN port in set-up; however, I have been unable to send/receive any channels. Lacking much opportunity to date I intend to spend some time investigating this over the weekend.

Unfortunately i'm stuck in my day job for 1079 days :hihi:

YES, I am counting days now :hihi:
Last edited by dsan@mail.com on Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My DAW System:

The BiP crash still happens in 1.02. I'm sure they'll sort it out soon enough.

General Observation:

The problem related to crash protection is it not reloading the instruments and plugs set as they were. When you reload the plugs they reload "naked', so you have to go back and load the patches or whatever. Once they can sort that out, reload any crashed plugs with their previous settings, that will all be pretty neat.

Maybe pull those plugin settings from the saved song file to at least get that last state.

As it stands now, if 3-4 plugs crash the only real way to get all of your mix settings back quickly (that I can see anyway, mmv on the unknown of RTFM) is to reload the full song file, so it's kind of a "Catch-22" thing. The app doesn't crash but you still have to reload the song (last saved state anyway) to get back where you were with all of you plugin settings ... unless you stored presets for those plugs you tweaked and then I guess you could just go through and load all of those presets... which might be slower than just re-loading the song.

But if you've also made other edit changes you want to keep since last save, you can't really do that, reload the song, without losing those, so keeping track of the current plugin states (or pulling them from the saved song file) somehow is probably the best way.

Anyway, they'll sort all of that out I'm sure.

P.S. Obviously, in context, the main purpose of that is to not bring down an entire live performance when a plug crashes so... it's a good thing. It just maybe needs a tiny bit of tweaking for studio use.
Last edited by LawrenceF on Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

So got an answer on the templates/defaults, that would be a no as of yet

I'm fairly confident ezelkow1 this will be on the list of priorities. Templates just seem a normal and most requested feature to be overlooked.

I expect once we get past the beta testing (bug fixes) we'll see some fast turnover of enhancements/FR's

Hoping so anyway. :)

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

dsan@mail.com wrote:
ThomasHelzle wrote:....You mean midi routing from track to track or what is the most critical for you?

Cheers,

Tom
I had a little time to play around last night and I find routing MIDI track to track very convenient and implemented in a way that is easily understandable.

The more I get to spend some time with BWS the more I am liking it, definitely.

And so stable on my machine - unbelievable compared to Live. No glitches so far.

What I miss most, so far, is the ability to run MIDI over LAN.

Being able to send MIDI back and forth between computers has totally enhanced my work methods. I really don't know yet if I want to do without that or if I want to move the programs on comp. #2 over and do everything on one computer again.

That's not so much joy once one gets used to a multi set-up.

It is doable, obviously, and I am most enjoying what I have so far with BWS, so the positives are outweighing the negatives.

If I can figure a way to get MIDI over LAN, game over and here's my card!

But until then I continue to weigh the +'s / -'s.

I think truly that is my only stumbling block - MIDI over LAN. I realize this has been promised for v2; however, when will v2 arrive? And when it does will it be a paid update?

Naturally, these are rhetorical questions so in the meantime I'll continue to demo and ponder the +/- situation ;)

Also, in the meantime, I'll bet some enterprising really smart person will come up with a method :hihi:

Thank you for the compliment Thomas! I try :oops:

Happy Musiking!
dsan
Ah, I see, well, that's a rather special requirement ;-)

I would really test CopperLan if the other solution doesn't work, since they offer exactly that - Midi Over Lan and virtual midi on the same machine with a kind of node-based editor.

But I also wonder why LoopMidi/rtpMidi don't work for you. I found rtp a bit fiddly at first to set up but found a great setup video on YouTube and then it clicked. I tried it out again yesterday with TouchDAW on my android phone as a Mackie Control and it's totally fun. I use it via Wifi though. It's especially funny since I have my BCF2000 attached too, and the motorfaders move also when I move the slider on the phone and the other way around. I would have expected some conflicts with such a setup.

Do you have Apple Bonjour installed? It seems to be critical for easy network communication with zero setup in rtp....

What do you use with Live?

For me, BWS is extremely stable for months now. There were to-expected bugs every now and then, but hardly any crashes like people are seeing now - and those bugs got quickly resolved. I hope the same will happen for the bigger audience now.

Cheers,

Tom

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”