The All In One Source Bitwig Information & Speculation Thread

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5

Also... how is Bitwig for Midi import? Does it handle multiple tracks correctly? Is there a user option to use/ignore tempo data?

pdxindy wrote:Also Bitwig has no tap tempo right?
Not sure about that. The dude said it had no button, so maybe it's a key or something.

Also Bitwig has no tempo nudge. Also no "prepare scene for new recording" button that I've seen.

It's going to be a lot harder than I thought to catch everything. I may have to stick to only the biggest differences in the final list.

I also don't remember anyone asking how Bitwig handles tempo and signature changes...

Oh you're right. Maybe the list is pointless. Seems like I'm bound to miss some huge stuff and I have no idea where to apply the cutoff now and how to rate the importance of certain features for people...

All the bitwig videos mainly show included devices. What sort of user control is there for the display of vst plugins? For example, can one lock a vst gui as visible when changing tracks?

Ogopogo wrote:Oh you're right. Maybe the list is pointless. Seems like I'm bound to miss some huge stuff and I have no idea where to apply the cutoff now and how to rate the importance of certain features for people...
I don't think the list is pointless... just there is still stuff that has hardly (if at all) been talked about.

Yeah, I'll just try to make it as complete as possible I guess.

I still think a chatroom would be cool, to come in and ask questions or talk about stuff people explore, don`t you?

Maybe, if enough people come.

kennyda wrote:QUOTE

Arrange clip launcher ENORMOUS FEATURE
Hybrid audio/midi tracks BIG FEATURE
Track based midi ? YOU MEAN TRACK EDITING MODE?
Layered midi editing (view and edit multiple tracks and the same time) BIG FEATURE
Modulate anything with simple click and drag based modulation system, even vst parameters BIG FEATURE
Full screen edit view BIG, FULL SCREEN IN FACT
Metadata based browser
Open javascript controller support
More flexible window system (support for 3 monitors, view mixer in the arrange view, and more) ARRANGE VIEW MIXER IS A HUGE FEATURE, BUT YOU CAN EVEN MIX IN THE INSPECTOR
Open multiple audio/midi editors at once ? NOT SURE WHAT YOU MEAN BY THIS
Open multiple projects at once with tabs BIG FEATURE
Multiple audio events within an audio clip (editing within audio items) HUMUNGOUS FEATURE
Selectable editing tools COOL feature
Histogram views for editing distribution of note parameters
Latency compensated automation
Inspector for centralized track/item/note editing functions and options NICE
Supports 64 and 32 bit plugs
Plugin crash guard (plugins run in a separate process so they can crash and be reloaded without stopping the host)
Nested fx
Package manager for an overview of currently installed and downloadable content
Linux support
Polyphonic note expressions for factory devices and plugs that support it: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 8#p5683228
Global and per clip shuffle and accent control
Device parameter search/filter
Return and master channel clips
Macro controls for each device
Custom device panel mapping
Mixer strip device list
Extreme flexibility in device arrangement: Put an EQ (AudioFX) -> Bass to Midi (instrument) -> Chromaphone (Instrument) on an Audio Track and it actually works as expected, converting the EQed Bass input to midi playing Chromaphone

This is a great list but I can think of lots more huge features in Bitwig Studio which Live doesn't have or doesn't do as well. However it's so close now, and I was told not to publish my review until Wednesday, so please read it when it comes out.

Cons:
No sidechaining besides the included devices (however the included envelope follower can be used to modulate any device or plugin parameter based on an audio input)
No audio to midi
No crossfades
No groove pool/groove extraction
VST only (no AU)
No midi routing between tracks
No VST multiouts*
No group tracks*

*However regarding these last two Dom of Bitwig has said that they will be coming before v2:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 3#p5685089

Other:
No visual programming environment like Max for Live available upon release, but will come integrated in a later version. So I guess there are pro and con aspects of that.
Devices that come with Bitwig: http://0dbpl.files.wordpress.com/2014/0 ... -chain.pdf
Ableton Live Intro/Standard/Suite feature comparison: https://www.ableton.com/en/live/feature-comparison/ There is only one version of Bitwig.
One version is a big plus in my opinion
END QUOTE. MY COMMENTS IN RED
The fact that a lot of the stuff in the quote has been asked about and addressed multiple times in the thread makes me think that Bitwig should think about updating the FAQ section of their web-sight.

I especially feel like Bitwigs stance on cross-fades,group tracks, and multi-out vsts deserves a spot on the FAQ.

Maybe some of you beta testers could convince them.

Ogopogo wrote:Maybe, if enough people come.
maybe we could arrange that there will be permanent link on the Bitwig page, so people could come in there and ask questions rather than pushing every question via support mail..

There is a Q&A section on the Bitwig site now. Not sure if anyone can access it, or beta users only.
... space is the place ...

ZenPunkHippy wrote:
codec_spurt wrote:Is there any one out there that can say, that have used this thing in Linux?
Yes it runs on Linux, tested with Ubuntu 12.04.4.

I'm using a VM (VirtualBox). Audio performance is bad.

So bad, it's not good.

But otherwise, yes it installs and runs like a champ.
Works just fine here on Ubuntu Studio 12.04. No complaints at all. The few VST I have found for Linux work nicely too. No bad Audio performance at all.

I honestly find it idiotic to measure audio performance in a virual machine.
Who in his right mind would use something like that for realtime audio?
And an intel audio device?
Come on, you can do better than that... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

ZenPunkHippy wrote:There is a Q&A section on the Bitwig site now. Not sure if anyone can access it, or beta users only.

looks like only available for beta right now, we`ll see..

hm, i wonder at what time on wednesday they will put it out :D

any bets?

ThomasHelzle wrote:I honestly find it idiotic to measure audio performance in a virual machine.
Who in his right mind would use something like that for realtime audio?
And an intel audio device?
Come on, you can do better than that... :roll: :roll: :roll:
There's no need for eye rolling, I'm well aware that a VM will not perform well with audio. Anyway, that wasn't the point - someone asked if it's running OK on Linux so I installed it using the only means available to show that it is.

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”