The All In One Source Bitwig Information & Speculation Thread

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5

ThomasHelzle wrote:
DHR53 wrote::)
But ATM I don't think BWS replaces a linear production Sequencer like Logic completely - it's focus is more on live use and - how would you call it - creative musiking maybe? ;-)

For people who basically record real instruments, voice and maybe play some VSTs along, something like Logic or S1 is a rather good solution, since the music is done by the player and you mostly need a way to record and arrange what you played and mix it.
In that case, the DAW isn't really an instrument, but resembles tape and a mixer.

Cheers,

Tom

in what ways is bitwig 'lesser' as far as a linear DAW- for example for multitrack audio editing,maybe micro-editing of audio

thanks, woggle

No crossfades, no comping, no edit groups.

Ogopogo wrote:No crossfades, no comping, no edit groups.
thanks, that is a bit restricted -crossfades is the main one for me, I never use comping or edit groups

Ogopogo wrote:No crossfades, no comping, no edit groups.
No Score editor, video support and I think no event list.

There is no such thing as the perfect host. I'm quite happy with S1/live, but clearly others don't feel the same. I just look at bitwig as another flavor.

hibidy wrote:There is no such thing as the perfect host. I'm quite happy with S1/live, but clearly others don't feel the same. I just look at bitwig as another flavor.
I'm quite happy with Live too... well, except for editing audio interviews...

Bitwig sure has some alluring features though... multiple audio events within a single clip!! note expression... that lovely modulation system! and an lfo that does not require M4L which I find a bit unreliable (Live by itself has been solid for me)... the histograms!! the open API

I will really miss the groove pool in Live, and being able to extract and apply grooves.

hibidy wrote:There is no such thing as the perfect host. I'm quite happy with S1/live, but clearly others don't feel the same. I just look at bitwig as another flavor.
There could be if they would just include all the features people need. It's a shame Bitwig is missing so many things. Personally I'd like to find a "perfect" host, so that I can just use one tool all of the time.

I thought the whole idea of Bitwig was that they took all the best bits from other DAWs.. yet I keep finding out about basic features that it's missing! I hope they plan to add some of these in the future.

Whatever else happens, I think the advent of Bitwig has made ableton up their game. The new open beta test system/forum is good, things like duel monitor support implemented in a point update bode well for the future. You can only assume that by the .5 release (9,5) a few of the cool Bwig features will have been implemented, and live 10 I suspect will be a major upgrade (as a lot of the effort in 9 was going 64bit and sound. Improvement and push rather than features)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

virtualmark wrote:
There could be if they would just include all the features people need. It's a shame Bitwig is missing so many things. Personally I'd like to find a "perfect" host, so that I can just use one tool all of the time.

I thought the whole idea of Bitwig was that they took all the best bits from other DAWs.. yet I keep finding out about basic features that it's missing! I hope they plan to add some of these in the future.
I don't think so, including all the features people need just leaves you with a huge tangle of options and buttons like Reaper. People want a choose in how the features work, not just what features there are, and sometimes that means leaving stuff out to make what is there straightforward.

Not that bitwig couldn't stand to add some stuff like crossfades. You can bet that they will add plenty of stuff. They just can't keep it in development until everything everyone wants is in there.

virtualmark wrote:

no, there will never be any more features^^ sry, couldn`t resist..it`s a version 1 release come on..give them some time..

virtualmark wrote:

Bad idea to think you will see a daw that has all features. No daw i can think of has all features, i have Cubase 7.5 and there are tons of things missing like true bounce in place and clip/performance mode etc and the harmony assistant is very basic in its chord suggestion mode (where is a progession editor or circle of fifth-thingy and so on...)

Ableton is not complete as well or does it has notation?

It is a 1.0 version and the only thing i would suggest to bitwig, to think of an introduction bonus for the early buyers, at least there is some time until march.

Yeah, it's like with any tool. There's a reason why hammers are separated from screwdrivers ;-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

SLiC wrote:Whatever else happens, I think the advent of Bitwig has made ableton up their game. The new open beta test system/forum is good, things like duel monitor support implemented in a point update bode well for the future. You can only assume that by the .5 release (9,5) a few of the cool Bwig features will have been implemented, and live 10 I suspect will be a major upgrade (as a lot of the effort in 9 was going 64bit and sound. Improvement and push rather than features)
Got the same thoughts. It's not like Live will stop at the point it currently is.

When Live 9 was released I had upgraded from Live 8 Standard + a few single plugins (started with Live 7 Standard) to Live 9 Suite for around 200 €. The Suite includes tons of additional features and content which i have fuly explored yet.

I had tested almost any host available (at least those who got a demo) and at the end i always thought that Live exactly fits my needs (and i got Reaper too for some tasks...). I had found that some things that be simple in Live did look quite complex and/or not very logical in other hosts (IMO of course).

Any decison for or against Bitwig does not make much sense before it is possible to test it yourself. For a host testing it yourself is even more important than for synths, first due to the price and due to the fact it maybe is the most important tool for music making. Other people could also not decide if a host works for you or not.
Anyone who think to change to Bitwig before it is even released maybe should re-think his decision until a demo is available.

The good point is as the workflow of Bitwig is comparable to LIve it should not be too difficult to learn it when you already used Live (like i do at them moment).

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

The thing I think I will miss is the Audio-to-Midi feature.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”