Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5

bmanic wrote:
tooneba wrote:
bmanic wrote:
tooneba wrote:touchpad is one of the worst HUD in the history. comparing with mouse is a joke I know. mouse is one of the best invention in the history.
This is such a narrow minded view.. sure, if I'm sitting at a desk and have a typical studio experience then of course I am using the friggin mouse but the point is that these new semi-powerful/usable tablets that are cropping up all over the place can actually be used to make music while commuting, sitting outside having a picnic, while enjoying a nice cold beer on a terrace, while waiting for the bus/train/flight etc.

Even when sitting in a cramped environment where it's tricky to pull out a laptop and use it's trackpad/mouse-joystick thingy that some use it is more feasible to use the actual touch screen for basic inputs like notes on a piano roll.

You just need to experience it first hand a couple of times to appreciate it. If it's not your thing then fine but don't underestimate the popularity of jamming out a few ideas while in a situation where it's impossible to use a mouse or a laptop.
I was talking about best HUD as pointing device, but you narrowed the use situation and are trying to do personal attack? Nice try. I would try to recommend wacom graphic tablet and leap motion because it's so useful in a specific situation. Good luck on your using them as main HUD.
Bull crap. I answered you exactly as your response warranted. You generalized so I had to go specific. Touch controls are superior to mouse in some situations , like the ones I mentioned. And where did I do a "personal attack" on you? You taking the word "narrow minded" as an attack? It's not an attack.. it was a direct description of how I perceived your comment due to your abrupt, narrow minded, answer. In this case, narrow mind = blah blah blah is superior to blah blah blah as a generalization without any thought on the matter. That is the definition of the word, no?
I think Touch is far better than mouse when it comes to sketching out ideas when I'm at the airport or even our local diner....saves me from having to haul around the mouse and the laptop. Just the tablet...there you be. :)
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

I also prefer touch over mouse when I am hang-gliding

pdxindy wrote:I also prefer touch over mouse when I am hang-gliding

trimph1 wrote:
bmanic wrote:
tooneba wrote:
bmanic wrote:
tooneba wrote:touchpad is one of the worst HUD in the history. comparing with mouse is a joke I know. mouse is one of the best invention in the history.
This is such a narrow minded view.. sure, if I'm sitting at a desk and have a typical studio experience then of course I am using the friggin mouse but the point is that these new semi-powerful/usable tablets that are cropping up all over the place can actually be used to make music while commuting, sitting outside having a picnic, while enjoying a nice cold beer on a terrace, while waiting for the bus/train/flight etc.

Even when sitting in a cramped environment where it's tricky to pull out a laptop and use it's trackpad/mouse-joystick thingy that some use it is more feasible to use the actual touch screen for basic inputs like notes on a piano roll.

You just need to experience it first hand a couple of times to appreciate it. If it's not your thing then fine but don't underestimate the popularity of jamming out a few ideas while in a situation where it's impossible to use a mouse or a laptop.
I was talking about best HUD as pointing device, but you narrowed the use situation and are trying to do personal attack? Nice try. I would try to recommend wacom graphic tablet and leap motion because it's so useful in a specific situation. Good luck on your using them as main HUD.
Bull crap. I answered you exactly as your response warranted. You generalized so I had to go specific. Touch controls are superior to mouse in some situations , like the ones I mentioned. And where did I do a "personal attack" on you? You taking the word "narrow minded" as an attack? It's not an attack.. it was a direct description of how I perceived your comment due to your abrupt, narrow minded, answer. In this case, narrow mind = blah blah blah is superior to blah blah blah as a generalization without any thought on the matter. That is the definition of the word, no?
I think Touch is far better than mouse when it comes to sketching out ideas when I'm at the airport or even our local diner....saves me from having to haul around the mouse and the laptop. Just the tablet...there you be. :)
Personally I find that the steering wheel is the best control device... when I'm driving. I find that the mouse and keyboard isn't really suitable for controlling a motor vehicle.

Please release Bitwig 0.98 Beta Manual 0.1 Beta

Cats prefer the mouse for historical reasons.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Another little question: has bitwig the key/midi assignments like ableton? So you can assign for example the key 'm' to switch on/off a plugin or mute/unmute a track etc..

bmanic wrote:
tooneba wrote:
bmanic wrote:

I am ANGRY on the INTERNET.
Last edited by daExpert on Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

lividTV posted quite some Bitwig videos on their Youtube channel detailing control surface usage:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaHdZ5 ... TA2eDokpMw

Caveat audiens: the musical material used is not of unsurpassed quality ;)

Ok dudes, I think thinking maybe we could do something a bit productive and try to assemble a pros and cons list for Bitwig as compares to Ableton so that when it launches those who are interested can see at a glance if it might be for them instead everyone having to ask the same questions over and over.

Here's my start

Pros:
Arrange clip launcher
Hybrid audio/midi tracks
Track based midi
Layered midi editing (view multiple tracks clips and the same time)
Simple click and drag based modulation system
Full screen edit view
metadata based browser
open javascript controller support
More flexible window system (support for 3 monitors, view mixer in the arrange view, etc)
multiple audio/midi editors open at once
open multiple projects at once with tabs
Multiple audio clips within an item (editing within audio items)
Selectable editing tools
Histogram views for editing distribution of note parameters
latency compensated automation
Inspector for centralized track/item/note editing functions and options
Plugin crash guard (plugins run in a separate process so they can crash and be reloaded without stopping the host)
Nested fx
Package manager for an overview of currently installed and downloadable content

Cons:
No VST multiouts
No sidechaining besides the included devices
No group tracks
No audio to midi
No modular/programming system ala Max4Live until v2
No crossfades

So just mention whatever features or whatever comes to mind as being important and I will compile them into a list that we could maybe posts as a new thread at launch or in some other forums. Also feel free to suggest edits for what I have written if you think it doesn't adequately express something or isn't as clear as it could be.

Cons -

No Groove tools

I left that one out because I am not totally sure of that. There was an exchange a couple of pages back or so where Kennyda said there was groove quantize. I asked for some clarification as to whether that meant just shuffle or custom grooves and have not heard back. If any tester could confirm that would be good.

Ogopogo wrote:Ok dudes, I think thinking maybe we could do something a bit productive and try to assemble a pros and cons list for Bitwig as compares to Ableton so that when it launches those who are interested can see at a glance if it might be for them instead everyone having to ask the same questions over and over.
Your list had Con
No modular/programming system ala Max4Live until v2

IMO it's only 50% serious because BWS has a very flexible modulation system.
Which is probably the most common task people use M4L devices for.

There is shuffle and groove. One of the recently posted livid videos demonstrates them.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”