Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5

pdxindy wrote:
virtualmark wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
virtualmark wrote:That Diva screenshot has got me fired up.. soon I'm going to have as many LFOs and envelopes in Diva as I want! Awesome!
There is no envelope device in Bitwig... and the LFO would be global, not per voice...
Ah I didn't realise there wasn't an envelope. Still it should open up a ton of options on Diva. I love that synth but it really could do with more modulation sources, this will definitely help.
There is the step sequencer, which is a kind of envelope... (does the step sequencer glide or only hard steps?)

There is also the Envelope Follower device and you could use that to modulate parameters based on a custom audio track (muted)... including your own voice
The step sequencer has glide - the speed knob controls the speed of the glide.
But it seems the sequencer has no retrigger button... not sure why - another FR I guess ;-)
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

pretty sure i already requested a modulatable Offset knob for the Step Seq... will have to check

garyboozy wrote:pretty sure i already requested a modulatable Offset knob for the Step Seq... will have to check
Yeah, that would be great too!

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi

zendorf wrote:I am sure this has been asked before, but this thread is too long!

All the demos I have seen show an single audio event being chopped up from a clip in the launcher. Can I drag, for example, 2 or more audio drum loops into a single clip and non destructively chop them in there?

Likewise could I record 2 guitar parts and combine them into one clip, essentially using it like a non-destructive takes system?

cheers...
Yeah, you can copy and paste between clips and also drag and drop an audio slice onto another clip. What I wasn't able to do was drag an audio slice from one clip to another directly in layered edit mode (where multiple tracks are visible in the editor). Looks more like an oversight to me though - another FR ;-)
But copy-paste works very well and precise in that situation too, just copy the slice in one clip and mark the time where you want the slice to be in the other clip with a left-mouse click of the arrow-tool.

Good idea to use this as a comping tool in combination with layered editing! :tu: :clap:
Should be almost as fast as the "real thing".

Cheers,

Tom

ThomasHelzle wrote: The step sequencer has glide - the speed knob controls the speed of the glide.
But it seems the sequencer has no retrigger button... not sure why - another FR I guess ;-)
Adjustable glide is useful... AR would be better... and modulatable. But at that point, just have a multi-segment envelope device which covers that and more! 8)

Does anyone know about upgrade pricing? I'm just curious as they're leaving out a lot of stuff for version 1.0, such as sidechaining, group tracks and online collaboration amongst other things.

So if I buy 1.0 do I get any future versions? This is something that hasn't been mentioned as far as I've seen.

ThomasHelzle wrote:
zendorf wrote:I am sure this has been asked before, but this thread is too long!

All the demos I have seen show an single audio event being chopped up from a clip in the launcher. Can I drag, for example, 2 or more audio drum loops into a single clip and non destructively chop them in there?

Likewise could I record 2 guitar parts and combine them into one clip, essentially using it like a non-destructive takes system?

cheers...
Yeah, you can copy and paste between clips and also drag and drop an audio slice onto another clip. What I wasn't able to do was drag an audio slice from one clip to another directly in layered edit mode (where multiple tracks are visible in the editor). Looks more like an oversight to me though - another FR ;-)
But copy-paste works very well and precise in that situation too, just copy the slice in one clip and mark the time where you want the slice to be in the other clip with a left-mouse click of the arrow-tool.

Good idea to use this as a comping tool in combination with layered editing! :tu: :clap:
Should be almost as fast as the "real thing".

Cheers,

Tom
Sweet, thanks for the info Tom. I guess the audio editing can only improve over time.
It has been very hard to find any info about its' audio editing capablities , since everyone is midi obsessed over here , so appreciate the feedback. I plan to buy Bitwig on day one, so good to know I can do some basic comping within clips :party:

virtualmark wrote:Does anyone know about upgrade pricing? I'm just curious as they're leaving out a lot of stuff for version 1.0, such as sidechaining, group tracks and online collaboration amongst other things.

So if I buy 1.0 do I get any future versions? This is something that hasn't been mentioned as far as I've seen.
Sidechain isn't supported?
It's easy if you know how

virtualmark wrote:Does anyone know about upgrade pricing? I'm just curious as they're leaving out a lot of stuff for version 1.0, such as sidechaining, group tracks and online collaboration amongst other things.

So if I buy 1.0 do I get any future versions?
You probably get all 1.x releases.

I'm curious... how many of you beta testers are going to purchase Bitwig? To either add to your DAW's or to replace? Viewing all the information I would say it does everything the Big 3 do and some things they don't do. Seems like it would take quite a time investment to learn the program though... And myself, with all the software I have to keep up with these days in my job, I'm not sure if my brain can take another complicated app even if it is a DAW which I'm very familiar with. I'm sure I'll download the test version, but my head is already hurting from software drain these days...

firepile wrote:

So if I buy 1.0 do I get any future versions?
You probably get all 1.x releases.
Well what I really want to know, is what are they going to include in all the 1.x releases? Are they going to add features such as sidechaining etc?

DHR53 wrote:I'm curious... how many of you beta testers are going to purchase Bitwig? To either add to your DAW's or to replace? Viewing all the information I would say it does everything the Big 3 do and some things they don't do. Seems like it would take quite a time investment to learn the program though... And myself, with all the software I have to keep up with these days in my job, I'm not sure if my brain can take another complicated app even if it is a DAW which I'm very familiar with. I'm sure I'll download the test version, but my head is already hurting from software drain these days...
Hm - I of course don't know about you but I found BWS one of the easiest DAWs to get into I've ever seen. The layout is very clear and intuitive (to me), almost everything is on the surface, not hidden away in some obscure dropdown or menu, every icon that doesn't have text has a flyout to tell you what it does and everything is basically where you need it.
Then there is the inspector that groups everything that can be done in a certain situation and on the other side the Browser that contains all FX, Instruments, samples, clips etc. as well as the paths to them etc.

The part one has to learn of course is the basic idea or paradigm behind a host, but in the case of BWS, I found that very easy. If you ever worked with a modular, node based host or tool you know that there is a specific "downstream" flow of information. All the devices in BWS are Windows into that stream and everything goes from left to right. Easy ;-)

So if you want a LFO being able to control a synth, you need to put the synth into the FX slot of the LFO to make the synth part of the same "stream" - modulation always goes "downstream".
In a node editor that would be connecting the modulation output of the LFO with a wire to the modulation input of the synth (and I would guess that BWS is making exactly that connection for you in the background automagically).

Now this is the way I personally think about it, since I am very comfortable with working with modular/node based systems from my 3D work. Love them really.

But even if you never worked with something like that, the few basic rules you need to know are not complicated and should become second nature after some hours working with it. Everything else is bliss. ;-)

The modulation system can be understood after using it once and since it works the same in all areas, no matter if you are looking at Makros, Modulation or the envelope of a synth, it's a learn once - use multiple kind of experience.

And then of course one has to actually work with the tool to deeply understand how to best use it. Some things may seem to be "missing" at first, but when you learn more, you find out that of course you can do it, you may just have to go differently about it.

You may be able to replace the "missing" comping with the layered editing. The "missing" sidechaining may be replaced with the audio modulator - which may even lead you to totally new ideas since you can "sidechain" any parameter of any effect or instrument that way, not just one hardwired parameter.

So it's more a question of what triggers your creativity in the end.
I personally find new tools inspiring but I know that others are wired the other way around so it boils down to personal preference.
For some BWS will become their main tool while for others it will be a secondary app for certain things and again some others will find BWS too cat-heavy and totally not to their taste and missing everything for gods sake how can they not have this or that in 2014 .......... the works ;-)

So yes, I plan to buy it. At first it may be an additional tool but over time it should replace Live 8 for me, which I don't plan to update anymore.

Ooops, that became a bit epic - sorry ;-)

Cheers,

Tom

Epic - or not - that's some great information!

Thank you Thomas!

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

@ThomasHelzle:

It seems like you have a deep knowledge of Bitwig.

So, could you make a video tutorial/guide covering the interface of Bitwig, (just the interface) to show where the things (most important things) are?

It would be really useful... :tu:

Cheers.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”