The All In One Source Bitwig Information & Speculation Thread

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5

egbert wrote:I think there is zero chance that Abelton will allow a competing software vendor access to proprietary stuff like the protocols for Push. It is designed to tie users to the company as much as anything.
This is pretty much what I would have assumed but apparently there has been some talk from the bitwig people of getting it working a while ago. At the bottom of the page:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 53365&p=60
“It looks like it is a standard midi controller and as long as there is no encryption/copy protection mechanisms in place it should be easy to do – not only for us but for anyone else as we will publish an open javascript API for controller support!” Source: Bitwig on Facebook
So that is by no means a sure thing. Maybe it is completely protected or maybe the only way they can get it working is with some sort of user mode which would mean less features or feedback or something. There's been nothing about it since that statement though which isn't reassuring.

Re Push support: Push is the preferred controller for Numerology 4 (supported along with the Launchpad), so it's either MIDI-, OSC-standard, or both, so I see no reason why Bitwig couldn't piggy-back on Push as well.
Seasoned IT vet, Mac user, and lover of music. Always learning.

n/m
Last edited by hibidy on Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nah, I'm pretty sure that's all in Live. I will watch any Bitwig video though. Thanks Redukt. I think that that auto monitor checkbox in the track inspector is new and the duplicate etc buttons have been moved up from the bottom of the inspector since the last time I saw. It's nice to get a glimpse of how they are polishing it.

And actually that might be one of the first times we are hearing the time stretching. It's a short bit but I don't think it sounds bad.

@Ogopogo: Right at this moment there is no Push support out of the box.
But I guess that's mostly a question of user demand ...

And: Bitwig doesn't do OSC (yet).

As for the video: Not the most inspired example ( ;-) ) but I guess there is a place for "BWS can do that too" videos.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

I see. I can't imagine there not being high demand considering how popular push seems to be.

Ogopogo wrote:I see. I can't imagine there not being high demand considering how popular push seems to be.

It may be popular, but that dont mean there is many owners, I sure would like to have one but it is not cheap, it is recent, and its availability is still somewhat limited for most of the time since release.

Anyway I wouldn't be to surprised if there is similar products on the way (Nektar???) that would love to be the BWS Push...

I dont see what would stop them from having push support. You can look at all the third party scripts and mods out there that seem to do just fine and integrate much of the original functionality, theres no reason to think bitwig couldnt do the same

It would also greatly increase my interest in it

Push is not locked or encrypted.
You can use user mode to extend Push functionality or use it in another daw.
Someone mentioned Numerology and someone in hibidys Push thread also spoke of using Push in Studio One. Native Kontrol PXT (http://www.nativekontrol.com/PXT-General.html) is an example of how open push is.

Looking at how the Nektar controller and the Livid base controller work we can confirm that the native BW script supports mixer control, listing parameters on an LCD screen, transport control, drum rack integration and step sequencing. I speculate that about any thing that can have a key command can be triggered with the native script.

I cant see any technical barriers for Push supporting Bitwig and its probably only a matter of time.

It's actually illegal to decompile the factory Push scripts, indeed any Live scripts. Nativekontrol and the other 3rd party scripters only operate with the good will of Ableton. Any company decompiling Ableton scripts in an effort to customise them for another competing product will surely be aware of the potential consequences.

Buttwig would be favorite designing and manufacturing their own controller which would be unique in it's own way, I'm sure.

Push is designed specifically as a Live controller, it would be a complete waste of money getting one to use with another DAW. What's the point; there are much better options.

beauchamp

Well, it's simple. Push is rather expensive, so if you have one already, you will want to use it for every DAW you have, not only one.
And if there is no legal way for BWS to support it, I guess it needs to be done by the users...

I don't think the people here want to buy Push just to use it with BWS.

I personally would never buy a device that works only with one application.

Cheers,

Tom
Last edited by ThomasHelzle on Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

There is nothing showing that third party scripts, like the nativekontrol ones, contain any bit of code taken from the push factory scripts. The remote scripts code is open for anyone to program their own scripts, its not locked down at all and no one is prevented from writing their own. Look at touchable or lc2, which implements a ton of the same push functionality all with their own scripts

Some of the scripts on the forums are indeed original factory hacks, to change colors and add little things here or there

Indeed buying a push just to use with another host would seem like a waste of money, but for those of us who mostly use live its great, and then having the added benefit that it is possible to use with other hosts its just an added plus. Since BW is closer in functionality to live than any other host, if they can implement many of the same features then it really might not be a waste. Heck even being able to use it as my main input method in studio one is nice just so I dont have to keep keyboards and other stuff around and have alot less desk clutter

ThomasHelzle wrote:Push is rather expensive, so if you have one already, you will want to use it for every DAW you have, not only one.
It's actually cheap. What other DAW's have you used your Push with?

beauchamp

Doesn't seem to me that Ableton will be too unhappy if a Studio One or Bitwig or other DAW user decided to buy a Push for their host. That is still good revenue for Ableton.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”