The All In One Source Bitwig Information & Speculation Thread

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5

That is nice to hear. That's pretty much the functionality that I was hoping for, I just assumed that you might be able to drag in an instrument straight from the browser to that list on the left to create a track, just like dragging an instrument into the mixer or arrange view to create a track in Live. So basically just doing the same thing in one step. Have you tried that?

Btw, I was looking over the thread and I wanted to apologize for the "drama" right before the thread closing and some other silly stuff I have said through out the thread. I meant to say something and wish you a happy holidays too then but then it got closed. So just thanks for putting up with me and coming back to keep giving everybody all this info. :D It's been a while but I guess I'm the kind of guy who stuff like that can eat at a bit if I don't address it and not being able to judge emotion over the internet compounds it. I keep opening Reaper up, pulling my hair out and then closing it these days so I think I'm basically dawless until Bitwig comes out and looking at this stuff helps tide me over.

Reapers multitrack midi editing is so convoluted and so is their window system right now especially with bridged plugs. Reaper is supposed to be this powerhouse but you can't do this simple stuff we are talking about without so much preparation and futzing around. There are two separate track list type things in the midi editor but you can't add tracks with either of them, tracks don't show up in the midi editor until you add an item first due to the track agnosticism, you have to modify you mouse commands if you want to be able to add notes outside the bounds of an item to move forward in time, you don't have a track inspector visible in the midi editor so you have to make a screenset with a tiny mixer on the side which means you have to make another screenset to switch to if you want your mixer to go back to normal afterwards. It doesn't even have a unified browser that you can browse instruments with; you've got your media browser and then your track templates drop down menu and then your fx browser window... Bah, so on and so forth. Just a real clusterfuck. And maybe you can fix all that stuff somehow but it's all hidden in a checkbox in a menu inside a menu... The other day I found you apparently can't use the onscreen keyboard with a bridged plug because clicking on the keyboard causes the plug window to be buried so you can't tweak anything until you call it back up. :x /rant.

Bitwig will be a welcome reprieve, it looks so intuitive. :P

Edit. Actually I think just fixed the keyboard window issue, no idea why it was bugging out on me in the first place though...

Can you customize keyboard shortcuts?

juansep wrote:So, thomas or anyone in the beta can you tell me what the "Blur" effect does?
I'm not a tester, but maybe it's like the blur tool in flstudio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtDYxNZB0ZI

Ogopogo wrote:
juansep wrote:So, thomas or anyone in the beta can you tell me what the "Blur" effect does?
I'm not a tester, but maybe it's like the blur tool in flstudio.
I like that effect...

Ogopogo: I tried: you can't drag an instrument into that list to create a track, which I personally think is okay, hitting CTRL-T first isn't something that should bother you much I'd say.

And I agree - BWS is very well thought out and so far has a good balance between simplicity and depth. I'm sure over time it will become more "heavy" with users asking for all kinds of stuff, but I can't imagine it ever becoming anything like reaper, which is a host that never appealed to me at all, as powerful as it may be...

As for the drama before Christmas: I fully understand these situations - anxiety kills.
I possibly would be in the same state in the meantime, since I decided not to update Live anymore and wait for Bitwig instead as the next step... ;-)
Therefore I was very happy when Bitwig sent out the newsletter with the facts, since all I could provide was guesswork and somehow I didn't really want you guys to be so worked up over the holidays... :-) :party: :hyper:
Not a good state to be in over extended periods of time. ;-)

firepile: No, no custom shortcuts (yet), but plenty to go around IMO.

If you hit CTRL + Enter, you get the the so called Commander Window overlay where all the shortcuts you can use with the currently selected stuff are visible and a search window is active if you are looking for something specific. The commands can also be executed directly from this window. A quite interesting approach actually.

As for the blur effect: The video doesn't play here, so I don't know if the effect is the same.
The Name is pretty good though, it's a kind of "opening the sound" tool - here's a screenshot with the schematic: Image Works great in the feedback loop of a delay for instance to make it a bit, well, blurry, more open, more natural, less dry/dead ;-)

As for the "how does the EQ sound" question: To me it sounds good, as do all the BWS effects and instruments. I haven't found anything I don't like so far soundwise. But I leave the "this eq sounds like the 1984 Schridlbrutz-Mearing console in high gain with the slight Smothzzzering in the upper left heights so beloved by the engineer of the time" comments to others ;-)
Not my interest in Sound/Music.

For reference:
I can't really explain what makes something sound good to me or doesn't, but usually something sounds "natural", believable, organic, to me - which I like - or it sounds thin, artificial, boring, dead, one-dimensional - which I don't like.
Uhbik-A - a reverb I happen to like a lot - on a sampled piano makes it sound more real, more alive, more like an instrument in a real space to me. Many other reverbs don't do that for me. Valhalla Vintage Verb I like as well, especially for longer reverbs.
All the newer Tone2 Synths make my skin crawl and my ears hurt, but Diversion sounds very good to me, even though it can be very harsh and hard, but even when harsh it's natural, like standing close to a large electric discharge.
Diva, is one of the warmest, roundest and most natural sounding synths I know.
One of my favourite VSTis is Chromaphone with it's amazing mixture of realism and being able to bend that to one's will.
I also like Uhbik-Q a lot.

So there you have it - totally non-scientific. :-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
Sculptures ScreenDream Mastodon

Out out?

I haven't posted in this thread for awhile. There, all better :hihi:

Whelp, only ten days till namm.
ThomasHelzle wrote:Ogopogo: I tried: you can't drag an instrument into that list to create a track, which I personally think is okay, hitting CTRL-T first isn't something that should bother you much I'd say.
Thanks, it just seemed to me like it would work that way, but upon further reflection I guess it makes sense, and yes, adding a track is rare enough that it certainly wouldn't make a serious difference. Maybe I'll keep that one in mind to possibly be pitched on the forum when it comes up.
ThomasHelzle wrote:As for the drama before Christmas: I fully understand these situations - anxiety kills.
I possibly would be in the same state in the meantime, since I decided not to update Live anymore and wait for Bitwig instead as the next step... ;-)
Therefore I was very happy when Bitwig sent out the newsletter with the facts, since all I could provide was guesswork and somehow I didn't really want you guys to be so worked up over the holidays... :-) :party: :hyper:
Not a good state to be in over extended periods of time. ;-)
:wink: Yeah, I kinda was like :hyper: It seems you were pretty on target with your prediction though.
ThomasHelzle wrote:If you hit CTRL + Enter, you get the the so called Commander Window overlay where all the shortcuts you can use with the currently selected stuff are visible and a search window is active if you are looking for something specific. The commands can also be executed directly from this window. A quite interesting approach actually.
Pretty much like Reaper's action window. More evidence that they are doing their homework well.

My Liege, you called.

Ah, back to cats. It always comes back to cats :hihi:

hibidy wrote:Ah, back to cats. It always comes back to cats :hihi:
You started it.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”