The All In One Source Bitwig Information & Speculation Thread

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5

Sort of surprising it doesnt do rex as pretty much every other daw option out there does. It doesnt seem like a huge leap to include support for it. Unless they wanted to avoid licensing fees, if there are any, for the rex lib support from props

Id imagine they'd be adding it if its not already in there

kennyda wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
spinlud wrote:question for betatesters: is the plugin delay compensation well implemented in bitwig like in cubase or reaper or it is crappy like ableton?
There has not been any definitive info on the subject... lots of people have asked but it has not been answered except for a general statement of "it's working fine". That makes me wonder if Bitwig may have some PDC limitation like Live does.
If you can tell me a good way to test it I'll gladly do so.
This video shows the problem in Ableton, perhaps you could do something similar in Bitwig? In this vid he automated the volume to cut out on the kick, yet the sound still played, showing that the automation was not compensated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbFzRTZT8Q8

If you have Fabfilter Pro-Q, it's a good plugin to generate latency when you set it to linear phase mode. If not, then I'm sure you have other plugins that generate latency.

Maybe try something similar to this vid, but just add plugins one by one and see if everything stays in time.

Yeah, that video effectively describes the deficiencies in Live's PDC

hi kennyda... If you would be willing to test Bitwig, that would be useful... of course it is less than 3 weeks until anyone can test it, so if you don't want to no biggie... up to you

Thanks for your betatester feedback.

virtualmark wrote:
kennyda wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
spinlud wrote:question for betatesters: is the plugin delay compensation well implemented in bitwig like in cubase or reaper or it is crappy like ableton?
There has not been any definitive info on the subject... lots of people have asked but it has not been answered except for a general statement of "it's working fine". That makes me wonder if Bitwig may have some PDC limitation like Live does.
This video shows the problem in Ableton, perhaps you could do something similar in Bitwig? In this vid he automated the volume to cut out on the kick, yet the sound still played, showing that the automation was not compensated.

If you have Fabfilter Pro-Q, it's a good plugin to generate latency when you set it to linear phase mode. If not, then I'm sure you have other plugins that generate latency.

Maybe try something similar to this vid, but just add plugins one by one and see if everything stays in time.

I've tried the first test, seems ok! I have Pro-L, Apqualizr and reverberate plus a few others.

Second one seems ok too if I've done it right, does this look right? Sorry the pic's not too clear on here.
Studio One, OS X 10.0, M-Audio Oxygen 25 keyboard.
Old websites:
http://www.bitwigtutorials.net Free Bitwig Studio tutorials
http://www.macableton.com Free Ableton Live and Mac tutorials.

Does anyone know of anymore long standing feature requests for Live that Bitwig didn't implement yet? Just wondering what the bitwig guys might be considering for the upcoming versions. Pure speculation of course, just for one.

One that I know of is warping in the sampler. That could be cool.

kennyda wrote:
virtualmark wrote:
kennyda wrote:
pdxindy wrote:

I've tried the first test, seems ok! I have Pro-L, Apqualizr and reverberate plus a few others.

Second one seems ok too if I've done it right, does this look right? Sorry the pic's not too clear on here.
Thank you for taking time to test it... I'm still tentative of course, but with those results, there is some palpable relief, this appears to be working fine, my excitement level is building very high.

Ogopogo wrote:One that I know of is warping in the sampler. That could be cool.
Awesome! That'll basically turn the sampler into a granular synth, I'm sure that it'll be capable of making some crazy sounds at extreme settings.

humanbeingbeing wrote:
kennyda wrote:
virtualmark wrote:
kennyda wrote:
pdxindy wrote:

Thank you for taking time to test it... I'm still tentative of course, but with those results, there is some palpable relief, this appears to be working fine, my excitement level is building very high.
Yeah it appears to be working fine, that's good news. As long as everything stays in time then that'll be great.

That Ableton vid really shows the extent of the problem, the last bit shows the send/return track and how far out of sync it's gone. It puts me off making music on it, although that's probably just a form of procrastination.

But with Bitwig, I'm really looking forward to spending hours getting deep into it, as from what I've seen so far it looks great.

virtualmark wrote:
Yeah it appears to be working fine, that's good news. As long as everything stays in time then that'll be great.

That Ableton vid really shows the extent of the problem, the last bit shows the send/return track and how far out of sync it's gone. It puts me off making music on it, although that's probably just a form of procrastination.

But with Bitwig, I'm really looking forward to spending hours getting deep into it, as from what I've seen so far it looks great.
It totally puts me off using Ableton... I think it's so important for your work to be keeping accurate time throughout your project development, especially automation, it's increasingly and inherently detailed, you can't go missing entire beats like that nowadays.... I mean I like happy accidents, but Ableton users have been basically getting by with them, and something that isn't always accurately representing your work-- I think thats a tragedy... the thing that gets me most is the time, I mean it's been around for such a long time....

virtualmark wrote:Yeah it appears to be working fine, that's good news
Of course it´s working fine, it´s not Ableton you know.. :D
Bitwig have borrowed some ideas from other DAWs but do you really think PDC problems was one of the ideas? :wink:

kennyda wrote:
pdxindy wrote:

Very simple, use plugin with high latency (linear phase eq for eample) on some tracks with automations and plugins with no/low latency on some other tracks...and use your ears and your eyes to check if all stay in perfect sync during playback (sound and playback cursor).

Try the same thing on layered instruments track, using in one or more layer an high latenycy plugin and on other layers no/low latency plugins and check the same things.

kennyda wrote:
spinlud wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
I really hope it has good pdc, working both on automation (Live failed) and layered instruments (bitwig allows to layer instruments in a track like ableton right?)
Yes it has layered instruments. It has Container Devices you can layer up Instruments or FX in.
Nice! It seems Bitwig is going to replace ableton completely for me...let's see!

sonicpowa wrote:
virtualmark wrote:Yeah it appears to be working fine, that's good news
Of course it´s working fine, it´s not Ableton you know.. :D
Bitwig have borrowed some ideas from other DAWs but do you really think PDC problems was one of the ideas? :wink:
...with the time it took Ableton to acknowledge the problem, and then NOT fix it with Live 9, and not to even acknowledge it properly, plus the discussion on various forums... the way Ableton makes throwaway comments about PDC, they summarize the idea of automation, glossing over the feature, it shouldn't need an asterix, but their idea of plugin compensation does-- of course, with Bitwig, because Ableton never highlighted it, we want to know is it "full" compensation, as in, is everything compensated for... this all started years ago when the "PDC" feature was first introduced into DAW's, somehow, the degree to which you compensate plugins has only recently started to be considered...because Ableton at least led us to believe that plugins were fully compensated, misleading IMO... I was worried that Bitwig may have been doing the same glossing that Ableton were doing.... and the way Ableton gets on, you almost expect PDC to be some major intractable ultimate issue that is at least very difficult to fix, I personally never believed that with Bitwig, it must have been a consideration from the start... I think Ableton must have made some bad choices with their core functions that made full compensation very difficult for them, maybe even impossible, I mean they haven't been able to fix it, who knows, maybe they just didn't care about it enough to fix it, or maybe the Bitwig guys are a tad more talented. There have been comments by some users that they personally don't considerate it important, but it really is important so this puts Bitwig into another league for me ... yeah, having the full compensation "feature" somewhat confirmed inside Bitwig makes me VERY happy.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”