The All In One Source Bitwig Information & Speculation Thread

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5

performance test...hardware 2.2ghz i7 macbook 8gb ram, 10.9.2

Rob Papen Blue 2 demo, Patch Rob Huge Strings.

1 bar long 4 note midi chord, 4 notes alternate every bar for 16 bar loop

Bitwig 128 samples - 2 tracks before issues can occur with pops/clicks/interface interaction
Bitwig 512 samples - 5 instances but unstable, sometimes moving scroll bar causes massive distortion

Logic, via metaplugin and using the VST to incur a performance penalty - 12 instances stable, 128 buffer, 512 hybrid

Logic, AU native - 14 instances and got tired, cores look at about 75% each. My guess would be 18 - 20 ish.

Put the mixer page up on bitwig as i was about to try some other functions then pressed the x thinking i'd close mixer page and lost entire project - no demo save, no warning.

Performance on mac at least is not impressive so far. True I don't like the software but i have been writing so much music the last few months i just wanted to have a break and spend some time performance testing. However before i accidentally closed the project i had been trying out bitwig properly and after an hour had a list of 20 things already that don't make sense to me.. I can't even work out how to change key commands or assign a key to "scrolling", or mute and solo. Very frustrating.

Yeah performance is not too good right now and is the one thing that worries me a bit. Since I have most gear packed during home renos I don't know how it performs with my RME interface, but with built-in macbook pro sound card (which usually handles itself just about as well as anything else), I can't use anything below 256 sample buffer. While I don't necessarily need to be under this, it's not really acceptable long term for a DAW. So hopefully this improves. Logic is amazingly cpu efficient, always has been. But as far as track count and processing, I'd like Bitwig to at least be as good as Live.

pdxindy wrote:The modulation system is outstanding!! It is a helluva lot of fun... It is dangerous cause it is easy to get hooked on it! :hihi:
One can certainly modernize an old XG soundset and drum machine 8)
Hoping someone will make some floor-pedal scripts, for guitarists.
All those old Boss, Korg, Zoom, and Digitech units could be
dragged out from under the cot in the spare room
where the drummer crashes :wink:

Echoes in the Attic wrote:Yeah performance is not too good right now and is the one thing that worries me a bit. Since I have most gear packed during home renos I don't know how it performs with my RME interface, but with built-in macbook pro sound card (which usually handles itself just about as well as anything else), I can't use anything below 256 sample buffer. While I don't necessarily need to be under this, it's not really acceptable long term for a DAW. So hopefully this improves. Logic is amazingly cpu efficient, always has been. But as far as track count and processing, I'd like Bitwig to at least be as good as Live.
I assumed that Bitwig would be a bit better than Live... Maybe fresh new code is over-rated...

I'd hoped it would be better for you guys.

pdxindy wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:Yeah performance is not too good right now and is the one thing that worries me a bit. Since I have most gear packed during home renos I don't know how it performs with my RME interface, but with built-in macbook pro sound card (which usually handles itself just about as well as anything else), I can't use anything below 256 sample buffer. While I don't necessarily need to be under this, it's not really acceptable long term for a DAW. So hopefully this improves. Logic is amazingly cpu efficient, always has been. But as far as track count and processing, I'd like Bitwig to at least be as good as Live.
I assumed that Bitwig would be a bit better than Live... Maybe fresh new code is over-rated...
Java and sandbox.... you knew how it would go. We are seeing as we expected.

Haven't got too far in my performance testing as I've been super busy… but I suspect Logic crushes all comers on the Mac as usual. I'm still running 9.0.2 and it's a little scary how well that DAW works. Ha! But hey, gotta move on at some point. I'm trying to decide on upgrading Logic or my Live Intro or maybe even Bitwig. Not like I need something "right now" but I like the idea of using clips while also being in arrange mode. If I could figure out how that is "amazing" as opposed to being a novelty… well maybe it's the future?

Need tutorials on Bitwig… still nothing on Lynda.com!

:harp:

Logic performs well, but so does PT11, Reaper, Cubase (7 only) and even live to an extent (considering live is always running at it's chosen audio buffer, it does pretty well at low latencies imo). Someone has already said at gearslutz he gets double the performance of bitwig on his mac to live, but will wait for him to clarify in what scenarios.

DHR53 wrote:Need tutorials on Bitwig… still nothing on Lynda.com!
Have you tried this?
http://www.askvideo.com/bitwig

Removed the link from Bitwig's site to their own forum on KVR.

Looks like someones afraid of all the negative comments
having impact on new buyers !?

Bitweak ?

Link to KVR is still on the Bitwig FAQ page:

https://www.bitwig.com/en/support/faq.html

IS THERE AN OFFICIAL BITWIG FORUM?

Yes, the official Bitwig forum is hosted by KVR, and you can access the Bitwig forum here:
<link>
... space is the place ...

ZenPunkHippy wrote:Link to KVR is still on the Bitwig FAQ page:

https://www.bitwig.com/en/support/faq.html

IS THERE AN OFFICIAL BITWIG FORUM?

Yes, the official Bitwig forum is hosted by KVR, and you can access the Bitwig forum here:
<link>
Found it..., thanks !

Removing it from the community page seem strange though...

I called the performance issues a long time ago, but got brushed off. Oh well.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

One of the most annoying features in Ableton Live is that VST plugin automation is not delay compensated.

Is it so also in Bitwig or have they managed to implement it?

What I mean that lets say that I draw an automation curve of channel level so that it is first -inf dB and in the beginning of next measure it changes to -6dB. It is very common situation for me that it will change -6dB a bit in advance (before the measure begins), so the automation is not delay compensated.

golemus wrote:One of the most annoying features in Ableton Live is that VST plugin automation is not delay compensated.

Is it so also in Bitwig or have they managed to implement it?

What I mean that lets say that I draw an automation curve of channel level so that it is first -inf dB and in the beginning of next measure it changes to -6dB. It is very common situation for me that it will change -6dB a bit in advance (before the measure begins), so the automation is not delay compensated.
Yes Bitwig has this working properly. As well as rhythmic effects timing after plug-ins that cause latency.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”