The All In One Source Bitwig Information & Speculation Thread

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5

that sounds really awesome and takes BWS a huge step away in this realm from the other major daws. I also could image it wouldn`t be that easy for other companys like ableton or steinberg to come up with smth like this with there old codebase..

ThomasHelzle wrote:Since there is no gain in 64 Bit other than memory
Sorry but that's not correct. There is a gain in CPU usage too, as a native 64bit program will run faster on a 64bit CPU. The gain isn't a lot but can be a few %.

If you have a 64bit CPU(most are these days) then it's always better to run a 64bit OS, with 64bit programs.

Ty, Thomas, that was still informative.

ThomasHelzle wrote: You can also either run each Plugin in it's own process (what I do since I have 32 GB Ram anyway) or you can run all 32 Bit Plugins in one process and all 64 Bit Plugins in another. Additionally, you can tell individual plugins (like Kontakt) to run in their own process.
What are the implications of this in regards to multi-core support and hyper threading?

One issue that comes up is core loading with individual channels e.g. rather than having a large quantity of plugins on one channel bottled through one core, splitting the plugs onto two channels bussed serially to split the resources between two cores (or at least that's how it works with all DAWs these days AFAICT).

Will the same hold true with Bitwig, or is the rationing of resources going to work differently, potentially even negating that limitation? Is hyper threading supported?

Is the sandboxing of plugins going to potentially limit multi-core support altogether?

Regarding multi-core support, Live only uses 1 core per track, so if you have a rack with 3 synths layered they are all on the same 1 core. Does Bitwig have more flexibility there so one can use the instrument layer device and use more than 1 core?

a bitwig IRC channel would be cool up on startup, so people could have a chat about stuff :)

virtualmark wrote:
ThomasHelzle wrote:Sorry but that's not correct. There is a gain in CPU usage too, as a native 64bit program will run faster on a 64bit CPU. The gain isn't a lot but can be a few %.
Actually that totally depend on the workload. The only performance benefit (aside from memory obviously) of 64-bit on x86 are the extra registers as well as a few improvements for dealing with 64-bit integers, but since all the pointers are 64-bit it uses more memory bandwidth and CPU cache.

virtualmark wrote:
ThomasHelzle wrote:Since there is no gain in 64 Bit other than memory
Sorry but that's not correct. There is a gain in CPU usage too, as a native 64bit program will run faster on a 64bit CPU. The gain isn't a lot but can be a few %.

If you have a 64bit CPU(most are these days) then it's always better to run a 64bit OS, with 64bit programs.
Yeah I know, but those gains are rather tiny AFAIK and are sometimes eaten up by the larger addresses etc. Correct me if I'm wrong though, it's been a while since I dug deeper into processors ;-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
Sculptures ScreenDream Mastodon

Hey Claes, seems we are in total sync LOL

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
Sculptures ScreenDream Mastodon

Does anyone know how easy it will be to use Ableton within bitwig using Jack Audio? I have certain device chains in Live as well as a fair number of Ableton Packs, so it would be nice to be able to use Ableton within bigwig as an instrument. It is something I do with Live within Logic quite a bit with ReWire, but as there is no ReWire support in bigwig...

kurasu wrote:
virtualmark wrote:
ThomasHelzle wrote:Sorry but that's not correct. There is a gain in CPU usage too, as a native 64bit program will run faster on a 64bit CPU. The gain isn't a lot but can be a few %.
Actually that totally depend on the workload. The only performance benefit (aside from memory obviously) of 64-bit on x86 are the extra registers as well as a few improvements for dealing with 64-bit integers, but since all the pointers are 64-bit it uses more memory bandwidth and CPU cache.
No, you're totally missing the point. I didn't say that 64bit chips were faster than 32bit chips(although they can be). I said that a 64bit program runs faster than a 32bit program on a 64bit CPU.

It's been proven numerous times with benchmarks, to be honest I don't really want to argue the point. You are free to take my advice or leave it, I was just passing on some knowledge.

4 more days (PDT is the most important, right? :hihi: )

Everyone who is buying the MINUTE it comes out needs to say so now!

we`ll see, got no money right now, poor student :(

maybe i can arrange something, but maybe not..then it has to wait a bit..

hibidy wrote:4 more days (PDT is the most important, right? :hihi: )

Everyone who is buying the MINUTE it comes out needs to say so now!
Some part of me is to careful to do so so I'll be demoing it the second it comes out and probably for at least a day or so. If it doesn't blow up in my face I'll buy it.

has there any info been posted about how the demo will be like?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”