The All In One Source Bitwig Information & Speculation Thread

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5

I'm really hoping I do enjoy the built-in instruments and effects, since I'm planning on getting a Nektar controller and I think the mapping of the bitwig device controls looks great, especially the modulation system. For third party synths though I'm not so sure, as I think only the 8 encoders change per page, so that might leave out buttons. I never understood Ableton's mapping and macros being confined to knobs and it looks like Bitwig will work similarly. Need button assignments, not just knobs!

Echoes in the Attic wrote:I'm really hoping I do enjoy the built-in instruments and effects, since I'm planning on getting a Nektar controller and I think the mapping of the bitwig device controls looks great, especially the modulation system. For third party synths though I'm not so sure, as I think only the 8 encoders change per page, so that might leave out buttons. I never understood Ableton's mapping and macros being confined to knobs and it looks like Bitwig will work similarly. Need button assignments, not just knobs!
I think Nektar have custom mappings for a lot of the popular VSTs. I'm also thinking of getting one of these controllers, they look awesome. So I hope they work well with my favourite synths.

I too hated the fact that you can only use 8 macros on Ableton. I'd like to have a controller that mimics a hardware synth, with lots and lots of knobs to turn and experiment with. It's much more fun that using a mouse, and you can get the sound you want a lot faster.

34 more days of foreplay and then ... massive orgasm? :hihi:

Followed by all the complaints of what is missing and how they are switching back to ableton :D

The drum creation is my only concern atm, since Bitwig doesn't has a step sequencer a la FL Studio... :(

Will I need a idrum style vsti for drums? :(

hibidy wrote:Followed by all the complaints of what is missing and how they are switching back to ableton :D
I'm not taking that bet...

It's not a bet, it's joke. But I do think some people will be disappointed. Prolly not many.

hibidy wrote:It's not a bet, it's joke. But I do think some people will be disappointed. Prolly not many.
:lol: Somebody is always disappointed. Even if nobody really is there will always be enough people pretending to be anyway so... yeah... that's a safe bet... that (for whatever reason) there will be some complaining.

I mean, it's kinda started already weeks ago didn't it, when Thomas started answering questions? :hihi:

virtualmark wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:I'm really hoping I do enjoy the built-in instruments and effects, since I'm planning on getting a Nektar controller and I think the mapping of the bitwig device controls looks great, especially the modulation system. For third party synths though I'm not so sure, as I think only the 8 encoders change per page, so that might leave out buttons. I never understood Ableton's mapping and macros being confined to knobs and it looks like Bitwig will work similarly. Need button assignments, not just knobs!
I think Nektar have custom mappings for a lot of the popular VSTs. I'm also thinking of getting one of these controllers, they look awesome. So I hope they work well with my favourite synths.

I too hated the fact that you can only use 8 macros on Ableton. I'd like to have a controller that mimics a hardware synth, with lots and lots of knobs to turn and experiment with. It's much more fun that using a mouse, and you can get the sound you want a lot faster.
Unfortunately it looks like the faders and knobs above the faders stay locked in Bitwig, so you also have just the 8 knobs that change pages of parameters for VST. I don't know about the buttons but I guess those stay locked as well. It's nice that you can name pages and scroll to them, but man what a waste of all those extra controls. I can't imagine mapping some synths to pages of 8 parameters. Endless pages! Apparently in other supported DAWs, they map to the whole set of controls, wish it was the same with Bitwig. For some synths, the fixed controls will work work well, but for many that'll be tough to manage. And if buttons aren't on different pages, even more so.

LawrenceF wrote:
hibidy wrote:It's not a bet, it's joke. But I do think some people will be disappointed. Prolly not many.
:lol: Somebody is always disappointed. Even if nobody really is there will always be enough people pretending to be anyway so... yeah... that's a safe bet... that (for whatever reason) there will be some complaining.

I mean, it's kinda started already weeks ago didn't it, when Thomas started answering questions? :hihi:

Something like that. I'm prolly more excited about it coming up than people would think considering I currently have zero percent intention of getting it. Other than the "OMG, this is great" inevitability in the beginning....to see it completely unveiled will be interesting at the very least.

LawrenceF wrote:34 more days of foreplay and then ... massive orgasm? :hihi:
Or a global case of blue balls.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:Unfortunately it looks like the faders and knobs above the faders stay locked in Bitwig, so you also have just the 8 knobs that change pages of parameters for VST. I don't know about the buttons but I guess those stay locked as well. It's nice that you can name pages and scroll to them, but man what a waste of all those extra controls. I can't imagine mapping some synths to pages of 8 parameters. Endless pages! Apparently in other supported DAWs, they map to the whole set of controls, wish it was the same with Bitwig. For some synths, the fixed controls will work work well, but for many that'll be tough to manage. And if buttons aren't on different pages, even more so.
Damn, that's a bit off putting. I thought that all of the controls on the Nektar would map to any synth. How did you find this out?

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
virtualmark wrote:

Unfortunately it looks like the faders and knobs above the faders stay locked in Bitwig, so you also have just the 8 knobs that change pages of parameters for VST. I don't know about the buttons but I guess those stay locked as well. It's nice that you can name pages and scroll to them, but man what a waste of all those extra controls. I can't imagine mapping some synths to pages of 8 parameters. Endless pages! Apparently in other supported DAWs, they map to the whole set of controls, wish it was the same with Bitwig. For some synths, the fixed controls will work work well, but for many that'll be tough to manage. And if buttons aren't on different pages, even more so.
bullshit, you can map every fader and knob to anything you want.
a=440hz

Regnas wrote:The drum creation is my only concern atm, since Bitwig doesn't has a step sequencer a la FL Studio... :(

Will I need a idrum style vsti for drums? :(
Isn't it easy to sequence in a piano roll by creating a drum rack contains all drum samples? I don't see much difference in amount of work.

What keeps the planet spinning
Music

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”