The All In One Source Bitwig Information & Speculation Thread

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5

elwoodblues1969 wrote:So then...when Bitwig hits the shelves,Ableton will magically come up with simultaneous 32/64 support & crash protection?

Seems to me,that since no one up until now,has ever conceived of such features,that Bitwig has the proprietary technology and the exclusive rights to it.
That's a bit of a stretch isn't it? :hihi:

Reaper runs (can run) plugs in separate processes and there's nothing proprietary about doing that, allowing plugs to run in separate processes so a plug crashing doesn't take down the application?

elwoodblues1969 wrote:
C-note wrote:
vastarray wrote:Yes. It was last month when I dropped a grand on Ableton instead of waiting any longer.
Good call! Push is possibly the best hardware investment I've made in years. If Bitwig comes out running with a lot of great stuff the Abes will match it.
Aside from some graphical similarities & so forth,how is Ableton an acceptable alternative to the features of Bitwig,that sets it apart from every other host?
It's available. :D

But hey, I hear you. This whole idea that people were saving themselves for bitwig and now because it hasn't come they're marrying the stable lad and don't ever call me again is quite ridiculous. Get the tools you feel you need when you need them. It's not such a big deal.

So Reaper and Bitwig are the only DAWs running VSTs as separate process and have protection of a plugin crash?

BWS is really interesting, not only for the plugin crash protection, but it seems to be build just right from the ground up. I'm very excited to try it out. It's great on paper (and demo videos too) so I hope it's the same in reality too.

As Mr. Trump would say: It's gonna be HUGE!!

Renoise has it too, if I understand correctly. Somewhat ironically it crashes B2.

sonicpowa wrote:It's great on paper ...
So was Tim Tebow. :hihi: We'll have to wait and see what it does on the playing field.

P.S. For what it appears to be intended to do, it looks great.

In other news Live 9 is 25% off at the Ableton site until September 5th . BitWig will be Released September 6th ! :hihi:

LawrenceF wrote:
elwoodblues1969 wrote:So then...when Bitwig hits the shelves,Ableton will magically come up with simultaneous 32/64 support & crash protection?

Seems to me,that since no one up until now,has ever conceived of such features,that Bitwig has the proprietary technology and the exclusive rights to it.
That's a bit of a stretch isn't it? :hihi:

Reaper runs (can run) plugs in separate processes and there's nothing proprietary about doing that, allowing plugs to run in separate processes so a plug crashing doesn't take down the application?
Okay...my bad..I made a false assumption in that since no commercialized DAW's have had this feature(to my knowledge),I had mistakenly concluded that Bitwig's features were exclusive.

I did actually try Reaper once,but I didn't get very far with it,because I could not get my Novation Impulse operational in this host.

Reaper as I had discovered,is a very DIY host,that seems to require more technical configuring that I can manage...so I disregarded Reaper,in favor of a host that has better hardware support.
For Drakan:The Ancients Gates fans: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em9XUSiE7f4

fedexnman wrote:In other news Live 9 is 25% off at the Ableton site until September 5th . BitWig will be Released September 6th ! :hihi:
lol, they're panicked all right. Another discount just five months after launch? Look out, they may suddenly add PDC too. :lol:

$125 for Suite. I think they finally hit my price point. That's a price that leaves me pretty much free to decide when bitwig comes.

fedexnman wrote:In other news Live 9 is 25% off at the Ableton site until September 5th . BitWig will be Released September 6th ! :hihi:
The Abletons are taking a bit of last minute discount action, before the Bitwigs appear on the DAW Stage, and steal the show :)

Haha

Well done, Ableton.

codec_spurt wrote:I usually try to keep out of these bitwig topics, except to look at teh excellent cat pictures of course.

:-)

But I for one will be most surprised if bigwig deliver this year, and if they deliver a product with ALL the features of Ableton (the easiest and most efficient audio decompilation on the market for example), and one that is at least half as stable. Because Ableton is silly stable on my system. Even more stable than Studio One, which is VERY stable, and REAPER, which is rock solid stable, but is a bit funny about certain third party VSTs.

Look, I have no massive loyalty to Ableton, apart from the fact they give me very good support - the best support overall I have had in fact - and their product doesn't give me any gip anyway to even call for support, generally.

If bigwig can better that - I'm in. But for now, and there is no easy way to say this, how about some more cat pics?

:-)

My actual only issues with ableton is the weird pdc and lack of automation snap. That's it.

I'd be able to use it as an alternative main daw now and then if it weren't for that.

I feel so dirty now. Like, really, it just kind of happened. I don't know. I was there, Ableton was there. Like, we barely said hi for like most of the evening but then like suddenly I'm upgrading and all, and I look and, like, ohmygod, it's Live 9, and my heart is saying, "no, no, wait for Bitwig!", but my mind is saying, "who cares, it's here, it's cheap and Bitwig will never know." What shall I do. When Bitwig comes out and I start making music there I'll be, like, this should be my first time, really. These should be our modulations. Our clips. This should have been it. But I ruined it forever. :cry:

Still waiting, Bitwig.

TheoM wrote:
My actual only issues with ableton is the weird pdc and lack of automation snap. That's it.

I'd be able to use it as an alternative main daw and then if it weren't for that.
Pretty much me too, although I've never been a huge fan of the sound of most of the internal effects and devices.

The other thing, which is a big reason I don't like using Ableton in timeline view, is because of the look of the midi/audio regions. They are a separate bar at the top, with the automation and other data drawn separately. I find it ends up looking messy, as opposed to most DAWs which have a solid box for the whole region, which helps visually keep track of things. Might seem like a small thing, but I've just never been comfortable with the look of Ableton's arrange view. For some reason I also by far prefer the channel parameters on the left hand site rather than the right as Ableton has it. Bitwig's arrange view looks much better to me. They also appear to have stolen some nice ideas from other DAWs, such as a mixer channel with larger level on the left for the selected channel, so even if you don't have the mixer open, you have that one channel strip. Plus the effects stacked vertically in the bitwig mixer channel. Ableton sort of has a non-supported version of this. Allthese little things make Bitwig rather appealing as they seem to have taken the best design concepts of several DAWs, which is what I had hoped for.

There is one major thing I am still waiting to find about which would make it very difficult to switch if it wasn't implemented well. And that is Bitwig's drum rack sends and if there is any nesting. See in Ableton, you can have nested drum racks, allowing you to map the sends of each nested drum rack (for a single pad for example) to the macros of that pad. This works out great with instant mapping for drum racks. When you select a pad, you have access immediately to the send levels you've assigned to the pad as well as any other parameters you've assigned to macros. If Bitwig don't have a way to assign a single pad sends to the macros for it's first device, it won't be nearly as cool. We still don't even know if drum racks have sends and if those sends have their own effects or if they can be passed through to the main send fx as in Ableton. It's a big mystery still.

wasi wrote:I feel so dirty now. Like, really, it just kind of happened. I don't know. I was there, Ableton was there. Like, we barely said hi for like most of the evening but then like suddenly I'm upgrading and all, and I look and, like, ohmygod, it's Live 9, and my heart is saying, "no, no, wait for Bitwig!", but my mind is saying, "who cares, it's here, it's cheap and Bitwig will never know." What shall I do. When Bitwig comes out and I start making music there I'll be, like, this should be my first time, really. These should be our modulations. Our clips. This should have been it. But I ruined it forever. :cry:

Still waiting, Bitwig.
though I'd NEVER share my drivel scriblings here, I've made SO MUCH MUSIC in live since november of last year. Bitwig can never make up for that.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”