Maschine Studio and Maschine 2.0!!!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Maschine

neverenoughfunk wrote:
hibidy wrote:Why do I get the feeling the drum synth will be released as a separate plug? :hihi:
not sure but isnt this what comes with the Maschine...

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/pr ... s/drumlab/

Pretty sure this is sample-based, and the thing in machine is a drum synth.

It's a totally designed for maschine thing I thought.

Drumlab and the Maschine drum synths are completely different products. Two seconds spent reading the product descriptions makes this beyond clear.

hibidy wrote:It's a totally designed for maschine thing I thought.
They are. Drum lab is 100% sample based. The drum synths are actual synths but limited to making drum sounds. I am sure you can make some other cool sounds with them also but I have only used them to make drums. They kind of remind me of the synth modules on Kong in Reason but Kong is a lot more flexible.

V0RT3X wrote:

Wow impressive setup! Looks like a very creative place to be! One day I hope i can get a setup like that.

Thanks! It has taken me many years and all manner of furniture to arrive at this pretty simple and relatively inexpensive arrangement. The Maschine, Push and Panorama 49 Keyboard are sitting on 36in bookshelf laminates attached to standard 16 in kitchen drawer sliders that can be pulled out or pushed back depending on what kind of project I'm working on. The shelves are attached to the top of a Studio RTA desk from Guitar Center and can be easily disconnected for transporting. Add a couple of "Daves" from Ikea and thats it.

was this posted yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVnThyi-APo

I haven't installed the demo because everything I own would need to be updated (NI service center) and there are some complaints of things not working right.

I'd really like to try it, I'm especially curious about the multicore ability (always my biggest request)

KevWestBeats wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:Does anyone know how to remove library references from Komplete so that Maschine stops telling me that I'm missing libraries every time I start up? Some of the Komplete 9 libraries I don't have or want installed. But i can't delete the paths from the factory content paths in preferences.

Help!
I had to go into reg editand do it manually on windows 7.
I'm on mac and tried deleting the preference files but it didn't change. Thanks though.

hibidy wrote:was this posted yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVnThyi-APo

I haven't installed the demo because everything I own would need to be updated (NI service center) and there are some complaints of things not working right.

I'd really like to try it, I'm especially curious about the multicore ability (always my biggest request)
You can just install the demo and load projects afaik. My expansions don't show up unless i install the updates but projects containing those sounds load, not sure how it is with komplete but it gave me a good chance to evaluate it. :)
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

musikmachine wrote: You can just install the demo and load projects afaik. My expansions don't show up unless i install the updates but projects containing those sounds load, not sure how it is with komplete but it gave me a good chance to evaluate it. :)
I d/l Maschine 2.0 without the library and other updates. You can check out the software for sure.

Well I couldn't resist.. got some extra money so I decided to get a Maschine Mikro mk2. Luckily it was still packed with the old 1.8.2 version of the software. Luckily, why? What do you mean?

Well first off, Maschine 1.8.2 and Maschine 2.0 sound completely different. Like.. not even a little bit subtly different but COMPLETELY different.

Load the same samples, same effects, same effects settings and you can't even match the volume properly. That's how different.

Second, they seem to have quite a bit different workflows. At the moment I seem to prefer the old 1.8.2 when it comes to some settings.. but it could be because I read that manual and quick start first so I got used to it and biased towards 1.8.2.

Anyhow, about the sound quality differences. I can not say which one is better sounding because they are so different. Maschine 2.0 is definitely "softer", more hi-fi sounding.. like it has a lot more head room. Maschine 1.8.2 seems to almost have a built in compressor of some sort. Everything is brutal, hard hitting and direct. Very "hardware" like in a quite appealing way.

It's ridiculously awesome to have both options available and as separate plugins and programs (they can even run at the same time without any problems). If you were ever about to buy a Maschine, NOW is the time!!! Do no miss the opportunity to get the old software.

I'll post some audio examples in a while. Check for updates to the thread.

EDIT: here's a very simple loop as an example. This loop was created on Maschine 1.8.2, then imported to Maschine 2.0. Double checked ALL settings of effects and sample positions. It's virtually identical but the sound is not.

Maschine v1.8.2 loop

Maschine 2.0 loop

Like I said, I can't say which one sounds better as they are so different. It all comes down to subjective opinion and frankly, I'm glad that I have BOTH options. :D

Cheers!
bManic
Last edited by bmanic on Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

That's weird. They should not have a sound at all.
Maschine is just a host for plugins, just like Cubase, Live, Fruity and so on are.

Maybe some of the internal plugins like the compressors and so on are different now? I don't think they are to be honest.

Cheers
Dennis

Nope, they definitely sound very different. Could be that due to the very "bad" sound engine of Maschine v1 (only 16 bit internal head room.. was it even integer math? That'd make it real "dirty" and constrained sounding.. very noisy)?

Maschine 2.0 definitely sounds much more like any of the common DAWs. Like there is infinite head-room (which there basically is, right?).

Check the loop examples above. Note how simple the loop is and how few elements there are. Now imagine those differences multiplied over the course of a full production. We are NOT talking subtle sound differences here.

Also note that the EXACT SAME SAMPLES are in use. Also the EXACT SAME EFFECTS.

Anybody who has Reaper can check out the sound difference between the Reaper 64bit float mixing engine and compare it to the 39bit integer or heck even the 16bit integer versions. Yeah.. there's quite a difference there. My guess is that Maschine v1 is 16bit integer engine (aka, very bad.. but perhaps in a "good" way).

EDIT: I'll be experimenting more with this over the coming weeks. Will try to make some projects with samples only.. no effects, to narrow down the cause. It's also possible that Maschine v1 is running some kind of soft clipping/maximizer on the output which is hidden from the user. Will experiment.

EDIT2: I think Maschine 2.0 also has some problems importing Maschine v1 projects. For instance, if it uses the saturation effect and it's cranked up properly then the Maschine v2 import from the project will sound a lot different, like wrong settings, different.

Cheers!
bManic

took the plunge and upgraded to 2.0 (or downgraded, depending on who you talk to!)

i can definately see how its broken a few workflows for people who were really fast working with it. some of the strict limitations (4 plug per sound) made it more immediate, as there was a unique button per slot.

Now its effectively unlimited so its more of a case of using the same buttons to scroll back and forth through the list.

in fact almost all parts of the software now seems to be using forward and back arrows on the MK1 screens, theres a lot more 'menu diving'.
Understandable really, how much extra stuff has been crammed in since it was first released.

i'm liking it so far though, im sure the bugs will be ironed out pretty quick.

Yeah, having never used Maschine before I have to say that I'm extremely happy with the purchase. It's so far proving to be one of the best purchases I've ever made, no matter which version of it I'm runnig.

Holy cow how did I not understand what I've been missing? Basically it gives me the very basic stuff from FL Studio on a dedicated hardware controller that works flawlessly as a plugin within Reaper (FL Studio does not.. it's cumbersome to use as a plugin). Basically Maschine is what I've been searching for all my life. Quick and intuitive to lay down beats, even while I'm watching some stupid videos (currently Formula 1 qualifying) with only access to the hardware controller. Heck yesterday I made half a song only using the hardware. It's immediate, intuitive and just up my alley.

Another thing is.. I've never explored Reaktor ensembles so easily and intuitively before. The whole Reaktor user library is right at your fingers. It's amazingly beautiful how it integrates with the hardware.. and I have the friggin Mikro version!

Looks like NI has made a Maschine fan out of me. :D

Cheers!
bManic

bmanic wrote: Another thing is.. I've never explored Reaktor ensembles so easily and intuitively before. The whole Reaktor user library is right at your fingers. It's amazingly beautiful how it integrates with the hardware..
agreed, normally i'd never even think to go looking through the more esoteric stuff - especially reaktor stuff
but since you can browse presets as sound types rather than products (if you want), sometime's its fun to try and guess the plugin making the sound, then get a shock when you find out what it actually is.
bmanic wrote: Looks like NI has made a Maschine fan out of me. :D
heh, Maschine has made an NI fanboy out of me. Combined with Komplete its database is amazing. And i LOVE the way native NI plugins integrate with a full (or mini) UI in maschine
Im guessing this was what the fuss was about Kore, which makes it even more of a shame that they binned it off.
so now i've found myself using fewer non-NI plugs as the integration is so good that it makes using other VST's a bit of a chore.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”