Any way to create strum in Cubase?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there,

I have quantized chords, and I want to split them up a little so that the lowest note is moved some dozen ticks backward and the highest note some ticks forward, and the notes in between spread evenly. To create the feeling of a guitar strummed chord. Can I do this somehow automatically in Cubase without moving each note by hand?

THX!

Check the Logical Editor.

standalone wrote:Check the Logical Editor.
And then? How would I do it using the logical editor?

Read the manual and check the presets. If you can't find a preset that does what you want you can modify one that does something similar (moving the position of various notes) to adapt it to your needs.

Thanks for this overwhelmingly helpful advice, man!

Jeez if you don't have a clue yourself just don't post.

He has a clue, but you shouldn't expect a tutorial. Standalone's advice is correct. It would be done with the logical editor. There may not be a preset for it, but it's not rocket science to adapt it to your needs. If you don't like reading the manual, try the really good tutorials by MacProVideo. Matt gets into the Logical Editor in one of his Cubase 7 tutorials.
ALL YOUR DATA ARE BELONG TO US - Google

https://soundcloud.com/dan-ling
http://danling.com

Well I didn't expect a tutorial, just a solution. Currently I use the Logical Editor a lot, and I also modify presets to taste, but I am not too firm with what goes on under the hood. I asked the question here to actually avoid a lot of manual reading and working into the subject, my intention was to get the strum solution quickly. If anyone had already done it it would be nice to get the preset, so the wheel does not have to be invented twice.

CableChannel wrote:I asked the question here to actually avoid a lot of manual reading and working into the subject
That's pretty clear.

CableChannel wrote:Hi there,

I have quantized chords, and I want to split them up a little so that the lowest note is moved some dozen ticks backward and the highest note some ticks forward, and the notes in between spread evenly. To create the feeling of a guitar strummed chord. Can I do this somehow automatically in Cubase without moving each note by hand?

THX!
A quick cheapo way to do this is to use the Trim tool, but hold down ALT so that you get the right hand side of the trim (by default, you get the left, which isn't very helpful for strums!). It would be nice if you could use the Parabola tool for this, but it's only a few chops to get something more curved.

When Cubase had those little back and forth kicker tools, I'd just keep kicking notes at 6pp or whatever until the "strum" sounded good.

I miss those little kickers.

@fandango: thanks, very cool trick! Well I still have to trim each chord, but better than pushing each note!

@SODDI: the kickers are there, they are only hidden by default. Right click on the head line of an editor window and activate the kickers.
However they won't help me much to get a strum, I don't want to touch each note by hand.

I also came up with some ideas for the Logical Editor, I could make presets that push the notes depending on their number in the chord. I would need to cascade 6 or so to a macro that would work on max 6 note chords. However I would have to specify the number of ticks fixed, which sucks.

Doing that diagonal trim seems to be the quickest solution.

I know Reaper has very cool features that deal with this kind of task. Unbelievable that Reaper beats the mothership of Midi editing (Cubase) here.

CableChannel wrote: I know Reaper has very cool features that deal with this kind of task. Unbelievable that Reaper beats the mothership of Midi editing (Cubase) here.
What features are those? I use Reaper but am not aware of anything like this. Would love to know though.

It was discussed and suggested as a new feature in the Cubase forum. It's called flam quantization

http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtop ... er#p277428

Hey, yeah. I have noticed that feature in the past, I never thought about using it for strumming. Thanks man.

"Currently I use the Logical Editor a lot,"

obviously not enough !

anything else you want people on here to do for you so you dont have to do anything yourself ?

dont want to have to invent the wheel twice , do you !

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”