Can't Steinberg just be honest?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just noticed an advert on the site for "Free Cubase Elements". Sounded good until I clicked the link without reading further, and then realized that it's not true - apparently the 30 day trial is free. Aren't all trials free?

Come on Steinberg - I expect this kind of crap in my spam folder, not in KVR advertising. Don't insult our intelligence.

Their marketing has been pathetic of late.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

It just pisses me off when companies think that they can talk to me like I'm gullible. How am I not going to find out that it's not really free? It just makes me lose interest in ever becoming a Steinberg customer.

Mushy Mushy wrote:Their marketing has been pathetic of late.
Just their marketing? And just "of late"?

SODDI wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:Their marketing has been pathetic of late.
Just their marketing? And just "of late"?
Ha.
I've always found them ok to deal with.
The "this will change everything" thing really pissed me off though.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

robojam wrote:I just noticed an advert on the site for "Free Cubase Elements".
Where?

chk071 wrote:
Where?
The revolving banner, so it will come up once in a while. Most of it is at least just aimed at a straightforward sale of their product, but this approach just grinds my gears.

[mod edit]
You start at A finish at B and everything else in-between is what you make it .......... that's life and music

robojam wrote:
chk071 wrote:
Where?
The revolving banner, so it will come up once in a while. Most of it is at least just aimed at a straightforward sale of their product, but this approach just grinds my gears.
You mean on KVR site, or on Steinberg's site? Tbh, i have the ads blocked here so i guess i've missed it. But you're right of course, claiming something is free when it isn't isn't really nice. Unless it said "free trial" of course, but i'll just trust you on this now. :P Many ads are made that way though, suggesting something "wow", and then, when you read on, it's just "meh".

Here. I use IE at work and can't block the ads.

It didn't say "free trial" at all - it just said "free Cubase Elements" but then if you follow the link their site shows it's a 30 day trial.

Yeah, it's just meh once you follow the link and find out that they're wasting your time. It reminds me of the Dub Turbo type advertising.

That's lame. Would have been also lame if they gave away something i paid 99 € for. :x

:o
That's really dumb marketing. They'r only hurting themselves.
www.mkdr.net

MophoEd - the BEST DSI Mopho Editor VSTi

Oh wow... a broken host (with the insist that nothing is broken) is not hurting themselves, but a wrong stated advertisement.

I applaud to this. :clap:

:dog:
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:Oh wow... a broken host (with the insist that nothing is broken) is not hurting themselves, but a wrong stated advertisement.
I'm not defending Steinberg here, but what is "broken" about Cubase? I finally decided to go from Ableton Live to Cubase 7.5, after considering it for a long time, and I have to say that Cubase so far feels heck of a lot more stable and reliable than Live. From what I have read it seems like Presonus Studio One is no better, with lots of complaints all over the board. The only problem I have had with Cubase so far is that V-Studio made my project crash all the time. This seems to be down to bad VST3 Programming though, and the 64-bit VST2 seems to work just fine.

I'm just curious to know what is broken in your eyes, and like stated I'm not out to defend Steinberg here. Personally I love using Cubase so far, as it includes all the midi functions I have been missing for several years now (Reason (closed system. lacking midi), Reaper (too much freedom for my taste, but ok midi) then Ableton Live (too many problems. sluggish workflow and lacking midi control).

There are several threads here in this very host section, one even started by me, stating what's working and what's not.

C7.5 fixed one particular flaw that is yet to be fully tested with third party plugins - and that is "plugin cloning"; which resulted in a huge ASIO load (especially with Steinberg internal plugins). There are still more issues that need to be adressed. Just take a dive here on KVR, on GearSlutz, at Steinberg. It's not end of January yet(!), and 7.07/7.5.1 is still in queue. If you don't have any issues - you are lucky. And I will definitely not further adress this.

What I don't understand here is the bashing of Steinberg mentioning to download "Cubase Essentials Free" as a demo(!), while disregarding the fact that there is more wrong with that company. It is clearly mentioned on the page "try the demo, download free" in my book.

If that's not allowed for Steinberg anymore, and it's hurting their already somewhat slightly damaged reputation since the release of C7 and Nuendo 6 (see: Mix Console especially), then all other developers are not allowed to further mention a free demo, since demos are always free and it is therefore false advertisement.

I see a huge wave of cease and desist letters coming up in 2014 - for all developers.
Must be a new thing.

And I'll make sure that if I make MP3 audio snippets available on my page, I simply write:
"These are free-to-listen snippets - not a full product - download at your own risk" rather than "download this free accessable demo summary"-

:dog:

I am also surprised that suddenly a lot(!) of users with very old accounts and barely any post count crawl out of each dustry corner on KVR and be like "I don't have this issue - I don't understand your point".
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”