Sonar X3! Wow!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Monome seems a very nice device. I saw some videos about it. It is like music from outer space! Cool!

Thanks Mattox. The Matrix plays now an essential role in my workflow and the setup is similar to yours. I don't gig though.

I'm exploring now the various plugins. I really like Session Drummer. The default kits are really nice. I'm trying the step sequencer now which seems wonderful. I like also the Sonitus fx. They are old but sounds really good. I don't know yet how good are the Nomad plugs.

Oh, and the bug with Z3ta2 (cpu spikes when moving the cursor above the performance area, Env) disappeared while using it in Sonar! I really liked also ............

So, in the end the prince could finally find the princess and they lived happily ever after :-D

Aiynzahev wrote:what the heck is going on with their home page.
My F-Secure Internet Security alerts me when I visit their page. Trojan.JS.Blacole.Gen. tries to invade my computer.
Optimal number of audio plugins is one more than you currently have.

EnGee wrote: I really like Session Drummer. The default kits are really nice.
I'm a fan of Sonar and I've been using it since the stone age...

But Session Drummer is a real turd best left to dry and then swept away by the winds of change :wink:
No auto tune...

What don't you like about session drummer? I've always found it to be quite decent. I mean, its no BFD, but not bad at all for a bundled instrument.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote:What don't you like about session drummer? I've always found it to be quite decent. I mean, its no BFD, but not bad at all for a bundled instrument.
I use Superior Drummer and BFD...

That's why I know that Session Drummer is a waste of HD space..

Why settle for anything less than the best tools available ?

If I'm going down easy street for a drum and percussion plugin,I prefer Battery 4...

There's some nice tweaks in Battery 4 and it sounds great...

I use it for percussion and drum samples to augment the main event...

I've also been using Battery since the stone age :wink:
Last edited by digitalboytn on Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No auto tune...

J4R1O wrote:
My F-Secure Internet Security alerts me when I visit their page. Trojan.JS.Blacole.Gen. tries to invade my computer.
I don't have any problem with their page or videos. Yesterday I purchased from them and spent the night with their videos!
digitalboytn wrote: I'm a fan of Sonar and I've been using it since the stone age...

But Session Drummer is a real turd best left to dry and then swept away by the winds of change :wink:
I put side by side Studio Drummer, BFD Eco and Session Drummer with the same midi clip in the matrix and I played with it some bass/keys from Z3ta2. I couldn't decide which is better really!!
When played alone, Studio Drummer has the best polished sounds and details, but when playing with bass and chords, it really depends on the style of music, the notes being played and the kind of sound you are using in the bass/chords (or whatever).

Also, it is the question of how they fit all together. So, the same bass can't fit in the same level with all. It doesn't matter that Studio Drummer sounds better when played alone. It just doesn't fit with it while it fits with the lesser Session Drummer.

So, for me what counts in the end is how all are blending together. I believe Sonar X3 with the Matrix workflow would make me achieve this goal.

Session Drummer sounds good for me. I'm keeping it! (in short :hihi:)

Time for Siesta! :zzz:

EnGee wrote:
J4R1O wrote:
I don't have any problem with their page or videos. Yesterday I purchased from them and spent the night with their videos!
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Avast-virus-w ... 70711.aspx
Optimal number of audio plugins is one more than you currently have.

EnGee wrote: I put side by side Studio Drummer, BFD Eco and Session Drummer with the same midi clip in the matrix and I played with it some bass/keys from Z3ta2. I couldn't decide which is better really!!
Mr Kiwi Boy....

Can you please post some of those drum tracks...

It would be interested to hear the results :wink:
No auto tune...

digitalboytn wrote:
Mr Kiwi Boy....
Who? Me? :D How nice if I am a kiwi and a boy, unfortunately none of them :sigh: and I'm not young anymore :cry:

Can you please post some of those drum tracks...
I'll try but as I'm a very lazy person especially when it comes to Music, I don't know when I'll do it!

Although I think you are missing the point that it is not the sound, it is where you use it. Anyway, I will try to show you what I mean later.

It would be interested to hear the results :wink:
Maybe! The results will reflect my taste and it is very possible that your taste is different.

Ok, these are 3 tiny tracks with just two chords and simple bass with one repeated drums pattern.

There is nothing added to the tracks. I just lowered the volume of the tracks so they don't clip.
So, they are with low volume but with equal settings.

Tell me which one you prefer more?

https://soundcloud.com/engeemoon/comp01

https://soundcloud.com/engeemoon/comp02

https://soundcloud.com/engeemoon/comp03

EnGee wrote:Ok, these are 3 tiny tracks with just two chords and simple bass with one repeated drums pattern.

There is nothing added to the tracks. I just lowered the volume of the tracks so they don't clip.
So, they are with low volume but with equal settings.

Tell me which one you prefer more?
The first one.

They all sound god. The first one is just my preference.

-u
"I guess one person can make a difference, but most of the time they probably shouldn't." -M. Simpson

Thanks Unfocused, I will wait till tomorrow then I'll reveal the kits used (Not that they are difficult to know anyway! :hihi:)

I prefer comp 2 but.... comp 1 works well with comp 2 for different parts. So my opinion is not to be taken in any serious context ;-)
Not that I care what drummer is better anyways. It's all about using it in the right feeling for that particular part of the song.

Tomorrow has come :-)

Thanks Paul. I prefer comp 2 for this section also. I think with a little bit tweaking comp 3 can sound very nice. Anyway, here are the kits and sounds used:

comp 1 : Studio Drummer - Garage Kit (Full) with the default mixer

comp 2: Session Drummer - SonicReality - BluesKit program

comp 3: BFD Eco - Artist - CL - Republic Enemy preset

Chords: Z3ta+2 : Fosters Goto BT
Bass: OBXD

I was listening to the demos of some kits for Session Drummer in Cakewalk website and I really liked some of them especially those from Platinum Samples. Rock Legends Bundle sounds great.

Back to work :-)

Interesting comparison, although obviously the kits and the treatment of them are completely different. My personal order of preference is #1 first, then #2, with #3 being my least favorite. That really isn't a testament to the quality of the products, however, as much as the way they sound in this particular context.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”