LMMS project @ GitHub (Prev. Sourceforge)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I'm Tres and I'm coming here on behalf of the LMMS dev team.

Edit: Download it here! :) http://sourceforge.net/projects/lmms/files/lmms/1.0.0/

If you're not familiar with LMMS, it's a free DAW -- similar in many ways to FruityLoops -- that's available for Linux and Windows.

Here's some new features we're working on (courtesy John Serafino):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7SkpK2JFE8

Here's some music composed with LMMS: We're looking to give our next release a facelift as well as address a bunch of bugs, but I'm posting to KVR because we're talking about combining efforts with the music community (i.e. ZynAddSubFX, KVR) and wanted to start some dialog.

I'm new here to the KVR forums, but have been lurking for some time. As the LMMS dev team talks about the future of LMMS, we've started some early discussion about formation/organization which would allow (perhaps) a fund raiser to fuel the project. Before this could even be possible, we have to stop and decide if it's worth it given our resources, or if we would instead be better teaming up with a community that already has the organization needed to start a funding project.

The ZynAddSubFX site links here, and LMMS relies heavily on ZynAddSubFX synth instrument, so I'm hoping this dialog is on-topic for the community it reaches.

Well, I hope this message is well received and that it's the right place for it.

Warm regards,

-Tres

Last edited by tresf on Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:42 am, edited 4 times in total.

:borg:
Last edited by ontol on Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

how do you feel about cats?

and welcome aboard :)

Welcome, Tres!

Hint: start a thread in our Hosts section titled "LMMS project @ Sourceforge" or something alike. That will get you more properly directed attention than this Hello message in the Getting Started section (AKA what is the best...)
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote:Welcome, Tres!

Hint: start a thread in our Hosts section titled "LMMS project @ Sourceforge" or something alike. That will get you more properly directed attention than this Hello message in the Getting Started section (AKA what is the best...)
Moved to Hosts.

Tres, you can edit your thread subject line by editing your first post (you might know that, but just in case I thought I'd mention it). I agree with BertKoor that something descriptive is better than "Hello!"
No longer a moderator.

Hello..
..Is it me you're looking for?

yeah might want to change the thread title to be more descriptive.

anyway, how wierd is this thread timing. I installed and had a play with LMMS yesterday and thought 'it could do with a new skin'.

I did a one for FL Studio here:

(open in new tab to bigify)

I could maybe repurpose it for LMMS since FL12 is going to be vector based and wont allow skins...

and this morning I thought 'I wonder if ZynAddSubFX could be reskinned'... so i've been thinking about both in the past day.

@vurt,

I'm a fan of cats. Here's mine.

@BertKoor/D.H. Miltz,

Thanks, done.

@gamecat666,

Fantastic. We're working from a pallet now, but we expect a new theme in the near future.

Some limitations in how the code was compiled was hindering our theming capabilities, but we're fixing those now.

Zyn could definitely benefit from a theme. I've seen some dark Zyn skins out there that looked fantastic. One thing to remember is we compile Zyn into LMMS, so theming should make it into the GitHub repos.

Conversation (for now) is mostly on the lmms-dev mailing list although they have an IRC channel as well.

Here's a sneak preview of what they're working on...

-Tres

Hi, and welcome.
Nice new logo ;)

my main issue with the current LMMS look is the playlist background. too much contrast and too much gradient on the cells makes it quite hard on the eyes

Hi, I try lmms each year, and have a few suggestions,
without having any deep experience using lmms, and it's been
a year or so since my last effort, so maybe these ideas are already
implemnted or in the que:

1. make sure that lmms doesn't lock down the audio, whether
alsa or jackd, so other apps can be opened and connected
freely in qjackctl, patchage etc. Reaper output in wine,
can connect in qjackctl, for further processing or recording
by jackd aware apps.

2. Make sure the instruments/fx that are unique to linux,
and bost great soundsets, get solid support, amsynth, whysynth,
hexter, phasex, hydrogen, rakarrack, calf synths/fx, invada and mda fx, anything from zita, Rui's V1 collection, and some 'Lone Rangers'.
Leave windows vsts to reaper, and work along side it, with
the great linux apps available.

3. Make the display of lv1 and lv2 plugin gui's automatic.

4. Build in session management down to parameters for core
lmms elements.

That being said, I would focus on being small and solid, rather than
being giant and wobbly. If lmms won't crash, it can be embraced
as a tool. However limited you think it may be, if it works,
it will get used. Look at Tracktion, Bitwig, qtractor, ardour, etc.
They all either chose to leave out certain important elements
of the linux audio app list, (perhaps from necessity?) or have not implemented them very well, while managing publicity poorly.

So you have a nice opportunity, to make a great audio tool,
limit yourselves to a few tasks at hand, perfecting them one by one.
Keep your :party: sense of humour :phones: and post
with some regularity. Cats will follow.
Cheers

tresf may be primarily posting here about the work being done
on the windows version. Near the weekend, or NAMM,
I tend to forget this is not a linux-centric forum. So my previous
post does not relate directly to windows releases, just linux versions.

It would be great if the old windows port of hydrogen
could be updated and integrated in lmms. And the rakarrack port.
With zynaddsubfx, a powerful integrated trio could be had.
But that would be many more man-hours, on top of an ambitious project.
They don't hand out 30 hour days like candy around here :(
Cheers

@glokraw,

Your feedback is fantastic. Reading your feedback gives me quite the "deer in headlights" look, as you mentioned more plugins in one post, by name, than I can name from memory in my lifetime (a bit humbling), but that's likely due to my tendency to stick with those instruments available in the DAW, something I have to branch out on a bit more.

Since rakarrack (for example) is based off of the ZynAddSubFX project, I can only assume our lead developer would entertain it's integration. He merges Zyn code fairly often, so I'll bring it up. The direct integration of Zyn makes LMMS and Zyn play very nicely together, so I'm interested to see his response in regards to rakarrack.

Since we're logging Bugs (Enhancements) for each and every request, if you can narrow conversation down to a few items at a time I can ask and open an enhancement (https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues/) and have the necessary dialog.

I'm a bit perplexed at the idea of Hydrogen and LMMS working together. Perhaps my understanding of Hydrogen is dated, so please explain! :)

As a tidbit of appreciation, here's a mock-up splash screen for our next version, done completely with Inkscape and GIMP:

-Tres

Integrating Hydrogen, if a hydrogen 'song' or pattern, could be imported,
with it's grid placed like an overlay, but drawn to match the lmms track view,
that could enable sharing and repurpose of existing resources. Or new
hydrogen creations.
Hydrogens mixer I think supports 3 fx per sample, and they can be panned as desired so if a hydrogen kit, with 32 possible instruments (samples) could be imported like a batch, that might offer some setup enhancements. It's not heard to make unique hydrogen kits, you can use 8 quality samples, with four variations each, and combined with the available velocity, one can nicely avoid the canned drum syndrome, or build rythms using the instruments of choice. A kit for riffs, a kit for strums, a kit for pads based on a range of chords, arpeggio kits yada yada yada.

I heard a rumour that Suse and Geico execs really like your new logo.
I think I would put a few lightning bolts in the background,
and a stungun type of electric arc, emanating from the nodes facing
one another at the bottom of the logo, with a windows symbol mapped to
one node, and a linux symbol on the opposite one.
*my old art teacher rolls over in her grave, sighing :(

I'll install lmms in my ArtistX setup later, to possibly get a feel
for a current version.
Cheers

I did get lmms installed in the massive ArtisX distro, (which I keep pruning away at)
and had a fun project going, I chose several vsts, with built-in preset handling,
a drum machine, synth, guitar emulator, and a distortion/compressor plugin.
I sent the output to rakarrack for fx, and recorded using timemachine.

I was happy that the many gui elements could be minimized
and raised during the session. I'm a touch on the slow side,
but with enough coffee, was able to sort things out with help
from the many tooltypes, and load several instances of vestige, to host vsts,
and put the distortion unit on the fx mixer. The bright green file selector
in vestige took me a couple minutes to ID, perhaps having VST lettering on the icon
whould help other dinosaurs?

There were a couple vsts I tried, which had the bottom of their gui
cut off, so that should be an area of concern. But based on first impressions,
I will guess that most folks have enough plugin variety, to do useful projects.

ArtisX comes with almost every linux plugin known to man,
so there are long lists to choose from, calf, invada, mda, and many more.
A happy result on a first successful session. I notice some options
for controlling linux plugin gui's natively, worth checking out in the future.

@glokraw, so were you forced to use rakarrack in VST mode? (I've done this for ZynAddSubFX in Ableton and it works wonderfully --- the latest VST build, not the older ones --, minus the ability to easily preview each instrument/preset was very impressed with VST functionality).

Another mock-up splash screen by unfa... :)

-Tres

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”