LMMS project @ GitHub (Prev. Sourceforge)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Tres? I didn't know you LMMS guys are here too.
Wow! Cool! :hyper: :party:
I just joined the KVR forums. :)
Lazerblades and LmmsDudes Lmms tuts are AWESOME!!
Check them out if anyone has time. :)

:)

Been watching this thread a while now; I use a Mac; just tried LMMS in Mavericks for the first time; I understand it's still buggy, but... WOW.

@dformd,

Thanks for the kind words.

There are some QT specific usability bugs (broken scroll bars in some instances) and there are many (many) LADSPA plugins that are missing which I'm working hard on currently (94 of 97 SWH effects are compiling but can't get them to show in the DAW).

Audio quality suffers when its first opened, not sure why but it seems to works itself out eventually.

Also Soundfonts instruments deadlock a project on open only. (works fine otherwise). Appears to be a resource lock scenario.

On the bright side, we just wrote in file association support on Apple this week so that should be getting a new build soon and some default settings that are specific to the way Apple stores its bundles have been patched in (will require deleting ~.lmmsrc.xml )

I've spent many nights trying to build in Windows VST support (using Wine), but Apple's compiler is a bit incompatible with the winegcc wrapper, so that will probably have to wait for some coordination with the LLVM and Wine team before it gets working.

We are accepting Apple bug reports now on GitHub, so if there is something I missed please let me know one way or another. Post it here or put (Apple) in the bug report name so the other devs know to ignore it.
I just got word that Undo/Redo is functional in the unstable branch, so expect that this year as well.

Just started using LMMS earlier this week, and really enjoying it!! Running Win 7 32-bit, but will install it next time I'm under Linux as well (Kubuntu 12.04+) ... I'm getting a bit VST-happy (downloading massive amounts) but that is passing over to experimentation. =D
Seems like any feature requests that I'd have have already been mentioned and/or are being worked on.
Here's a little ditty I've been working on as a learning project this week :: http://speedmodeling.org/smcfiles/artao_Learning-10.mp3
Also, I plan on entering this months KVR OSC with VOPM, which seems to run great in LMMS. =]
Thanks for the great software! \o/

EDIT: OH!! One thing I've not seen mentioned taht would be nice. In addition to the time display, it would be very nice and useful to show what measure it is as well. 8)

The measure feature is there, you just have to click the LED to switch it off of minutes/seconds.

So with some indirect advice from the Ardour team (comment via Audacity dev forum), I've gotten the first SWH plugin to compile and run on Apple.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djAvhrE2ZrE

This is important because there are currently 97 different effects we borrow from the SWH library, so projects created on Linux and Windows have used them heavily over time.

File association should be the next fix... :)

tresf wrote:The measure feature is there, you just have to click the LED to switch it off of minutes/seconds.
HOLY UNDOCUMENTED FEATURES BATMAN!! :o
It never would have occurred to me to try that. Thank you SO much for the tip! :hihi: :tu: :party:

Wow, didn't see LMMS hit version 1.0 now, congrats. :) Nice to see that there's an open source sequencer project which is consistently getting developed.

HOLY UNDOCUMENTED FEATURES BATMAN!!

tresf wrote:
HOLY UNDOCUMENTED FEATURES BATMAN!!
:o :lol: :lol: :hihi: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap: :love:

ROTFLMAO

I wish I had known before I downloaded and installed LMMS that this DAW doesn't support any audio recording or editing. Had me rather flummoxed for awhile.

Not to take anything away from what is obviously an ENORMOUS amount of work in getting this to 1.0, it just isn't what I need.

Great job, though! FWIW, I never had a crash in Win 8 while testing it.
Carry on!

bk wrote:I wish I had known before I downloaded and installed LMMS that this DAW doesn't support any audio recording or editing. Had me rather flummoxed for awhile.

Not to take anything away from what is obviously an ENORMOUS amount of work in getting this to 1.0, it just isn't what I need.

Great job, though! FWIW, I never had a crash in Win 8 while testing it.
Carry on!
No, there are plenty of FOSS tools for recording and editing, but LMMS doesn't currently have a way to record audio directly into the DAW (midi can be recorded directly in).

Here's some more progress with 1.x on OSX, finally got the SWH plugins working on Mavericks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWPfIIaAHQg

-Tres

Seen Zyn lately? :)

Hoping to see this in LMMS master branch soon. :)

Hi (again) tresf,
while testing LMMS yesterday I found that one VST, called Cosmos 2, loads but doesn't produce any audio output. I have some other VSTs that I'd like to try out, so where/who should I contact to add the synth results to the LMMS VST database page?

brian

PS. In which release will we be seeing Monstro and Watsyn?
Tired of Windows? Linux offers hundreds of good distros. For more info:
DistroWatch
Some good synths for linux: www.linuxsynths.com

briandc wrote:Hi (again) tresf,
while testing LMMS yesterday I found that one VST, called Cosmos 2, loads but doesn't produce any audio output. I have some other VSTs that I'd like to try out, so where/who should I contact to add the synth results to the LMMS VST database page?
Stian Jørgensrud <stianahj@gmail.com> or properly lmms-users@lists.sourceforge.net, but Stian is our current maintainer. Also, he monitors our facebook page http://facebook.com/makefreemusic and you could always drop a message there. :)

PS. In which release will we be seeing Monstro and Watsyn?
This is a good question. 1.1.x should have it. Here's a paraphrased quote from the author of the Monstro and WatSyn instruments:
Everything in the master branch [including Monstro, WatSyn undo support, new mixer and much more] ... ...will be released in 1.1, which
is scheduled for release by the end of [June] at the latest

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”