LMMS project @ GitHub (Prev. Sourceforge)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

TheDichotomist wrote: Automation grouping
Grouping in general would be a great addition. Even sound effects which tend to muck up the Song Editor should be able to hide-away. Good suggestion.
Quick editing of midi notes through the track screen
Probably would take a major rewrite of how the Song Editor is handled currently. I think the major issue with the current handling is that you lose focus of the Song Editor every time you open the piano roll editor. "Docking" the piano roll to the bottom of the screen (similar to how Ableton does it) would help here. I've made the recommendation for dockable dialogs, but after getting involved with the UI team I've realized that the elements are nearly all hard-coded as to their positions, so the idea of a "flow" or "auto-layout" is much to be desired. Furthermore, the QT Designer software could help on this front, but the components haven't been written in a way to be "draggable" in an IDE, so that's on quite the distant back burner.
LFO tool for automation editor: Something to make waveforms with a specific frequency... this is also in fl studio. It's easy to mess up things like wobble bases even with the new automation editor, so an lfo tool for making patterns in automation tracks would be AMAZING :D
I think the temporary solution to this for now is to use the controller rack and "hop through" that. Check out this video, it explains what I'm describing much better. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Kkvr2lCSa4.

Adding the LFO feature is a cool idea. It shouldn't be difficult to code, so I would recommend you submit a feature request for this ASAP! :)
Pause play button in main window controls: I think there's a patch for that actually. something to play all tracks on the main window, without leaving the piano roll for example. the piano roll would keep it's solo play pause button where it is..
Yeah, I use the record button for that. It's gross, but does the trick for now.
Visual step volume control: A window with the volumes of all the notes played in the beat baseline editor.(per track) say i have a drum and i want to make sure every other note is EXACTLY half volume... it's kinda hard to do it by scrolling :)
Yes, like above I'll resort to a work-around and use the piano roll. It's not intuitive, but it works. Try it! I'm not sure where the visual step would be. Perhaps a "last used volume?" Good point, I'm just not sure how to fit it into the interface. Please make recommendations on GitHub for these, especially the small ones. Here's a picture of how I do it:
This is sort-of a bug that it even allows it though, so take caution when using this!
I hope my long explanations don't confuse things to much and that my mentioning other DAWs as a reference doesn't spark any negative emotions
Since LMMS is free, it will always fall behind commercial DAWs, and luckily the dev group has been very receptive of recommendations based on other DAWs, such as the volume "level" indicator which was recently added (the white line around the knob)

The more feedback the better. We really enjoy it, especially from musicians that use other software and not just from the guru's (who like me have fallen into bad habits to make some items usable).

The only thing I ask is to register for GitHub file some of the more pressing requests in the bug tracker.

-Tres

I forgot to mention... monophony capability (mono-lead-type sounds) and portamento. These were two things I think would be nice to see added to 3xOSC. ;)
If I had my way.... :D

brian
Tired of Windows? Linux offers hundreds of good distros. For more info:
DistroWatch
Some good synths for linux: www.linuxsynths.com

LMMS was the first DAW I really used, so it's great to see it's still improving!

briandc wrote:I forgot to mention... monophony capability (mono-lead-type sounds) and portamento. These were two things I think would be nice to see added to 3xOSC. ;)

brian
Although we don't have portamento proper, the next version allows pitch bending over 100 cents/semitones and an improved automation editor which can achieve this effect in a very "brute force" way and obviously applies to all notes playing for that particular instrument.

The automation editor allows bezier curves finally which eliminates the need to draw tedious, manual "straight" or "logarathmic" bends.

Image Image

In terms of portamento proper, I predict this will be implemented properly down the road as this is already available in most DAWs dating back to the early days.

If you have experience with C/C++ (or any programming languages for that matter), feel free to take a look at the pitch knob code and sketch a mockup into the piano roll. Also we encourage to file enhancements (or new "issues" which will be classified by the team as enhancements) for these things too. The more research and the more involved you are, the more likely they'll get worked on.

We have a beta release of 1.0.0 available for 32-bit and 64-bit Windows here if you are interested in testing out the new release:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lmms/files/lmms/0.9.91/

Linux users can compile using git and the compilation tutorial here
monophony capability (mono-lead-type sounds)
Can you explain what you mean by this? I'm not sure I understand.

-Tres

tresf wrote:
briandc wrote:I forgot to mention... monophony capability (mono-lead-type sounds) and portamento. These were two things I think would be nice to see added to 3xOSC. ;)

brian
Although we don't have portamento proper, the next version allows pitch bending over 100 cents/semitones and an improved automation editor which can achieve this effect in a very "brute force" way and obviously applies to all notes playing for that particular instrument.

The automation editor allows bezier curves finally which eliminates the need to draw tedious, manual "straight" or "logarathmic" bends.

Image Image

In terms of portamento proper, I predict this will be implemented properly down the road as this is already available in most DAWs dating back to the early days.

If you have experience with C/C++ (or any programming languages for that matter), feel free to take a look at the pitch knob code and sketch a mockup into the piano roll. Also we encourage to file enhancements (or new "issues" which will be classified by the team as enhancements) for these things too. The more research and the more involved you are, the more likely they'll get worked on.

We have a beta release of 1.0.0 available for 32-bit and 64-bit Windows here if you are interested in testing out the new release:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lmms/files/lmms/0.9.91/

Linux users can compile using git and the compilation tutorial here
monophony capability (mono-lead-type sounds)
Can you explain what you mean by this? I'm not sure I understand.

-Tres
--this thread is getting exciting! :D

I *wish* I was a programmer, I really really do. The portamento effect is very common with synths so I'd think it'd be good to add. Of course, it may be difficult, I have no idea since I'm not a programmer. :(

The monophony capability means that only one key can play at a time. It might sound like a limitation, but it is very nice for monophonic instruments like horns or basses, where two notes are not played simultaneously. The portamento is good here too, since it allows to "slide" or "glide" between notes, ideally with control of how fast that slide/glide should be.

I'd love to try the git version. I read on your link that I can go to the lmms directory and do a git pull from there, correct? Will that replace the current version I have installed already?

Thx,
brian
DistroWatch

The monophony capability means that only one key can play at a time. It might sound like a limitation, but it is very nice for monophonic instruments like horns or basses, where two notes are not played simultaneously.
Ah yes, LB302 does this. Good suggestion. Probably worth filing an issue (enhancement) for.
I'd love to try the git version. I read on your link that I can go to the lmms directory and do a git pull from there, correct?
Well, yes, correct. The tutorial assumes you create a directory ~/lmms.
Will that replace the current version I have installed already?
No, do it as the your user account (rather than root/sudo) and it will install into the newly created "lmms" directory in your home folder. You can call it anything you like, but make sure to pull into a new directory owned by the user, not root. With the exception of installing the very very long list of dependencies, you shouldn't have to type "sudo" at all.

The tutorial was written primarily for Ubuntu 12.04LTS. Our graphics guy runs Mint and says it worked fine and I actually recently updated the instructions on the wiki to include Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit, which had a few extra work-arounds.

-Tres

I installed the git version. So if I had LMMS already installed, this one doesn't replace it? How do I know to run the git version or the previous one?

I also had an error, but I suppose it's nothing important:
WARNING: gnome-keyring:: couldn't connect to: /tmp/keyring-qh7Wpf/pkcs11: No such file or directory

brian
DistroWatch

briandc wrote: How do I know to run the git version or the previous one?
The last line in the compilation instructions show you.

Code: Select all

../target/bin/lmms
When you run lmms from the target directory explicitly, it's the new one.

If you want to create a shortcut for this, make sure the working directory is the build directory.

For example, if you did a git pull to:

/home/tres/lmms/
Then to run lmms:

cd /home/tres/build/
../target/bin/lmms
To make a desktop shortcut, make a plain file (i.e. "lmms.desktop") with something like:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=LMMS Developer Edition
Exec=/home/tres/lmms/target/bin/lmms %F
Path=/home/tres/lmms/build
Icon=/home/tres/lmms/target/share/pixmaps/lmms.png
Then make it executable:

chmod +x lmms.desktop
(You can also right click, properties, permissions and tick the "Allow Execute" box.)

If you are missing some of the new artwork, the .lmmsrc file may need to be renamed, which (i'm guessing) is in your home directory.

Then you'll have a separate icon for the new version until the official packages are released.

-Tres

Nice little tutorial! 8)

tresf wrote:
briandc wrote: How do I know to run the git version or the previous one?
The last line in the compilation instructions show you.

../target/bin/lmms
When you run lmms from the target directory explicitly, it's the new one.

If you want to create a shortcut for this, make sure the working directory is the build directory.

For example, if you did a git pull to:

/home/tres/lmms/
Then to run lmms:

cd /home/tres/build/
../target/bin/lmms
To make a desktop shortcut, make a plain file (i.e. "lmms.desktop") with something like:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=LMMS Developer Edition
Exec=/home/tres/lmms/target/bin/lmms %F
Path=/home/tres/lmms/build
Icon=/home/tres/lmms/target/share/pixmaps/lmms.png
Then make it executable:

chmod +x lmms.desktop
(You can also right click, properties, permissions and tick the "Allow Execute" box.)

If you are missing some of the new artwork, the .lmmsrc file may need to be renamed, which (i'm guessing) is in your home directory.

Then you'll have a separate icon for the new version until the official packages are released.

-Tres
Perfectly clear now.
Thanks Tres!

brian
DistroWatch

Tresf,
I must be missing something, as I got this error message at the end of the install:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXft
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lfontconfig
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXinerama
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [plugins/zynaddsubfx/RemoteZynAddSubFx] Error 1
make[1]: *** [plugins/zynaddsubfx/CMakeFiles/RemoteZynAddSubFx.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
Is there a way to resolve this without removing and re-installing? What is the best solution?

Thanks,
brian
DistroWatch

What OS, etc? I can post the question to the devs.

tresf wrote:What OS, etc? I can post the question to the devs.
I'm not at that computer right now, but it's BodhiLinux 32-bit, latest version, I think it's 12.04; KXStudio packages on top.

brian
DistroWatch

Install libxft-dev, libfontconfig1-dev and libxinerama-dev.

Toby
This should do it. I've also inquired as to whether or not the tutorial needs this info and will update as needed.

-Tres

tresf wrote:
Install libxft-dev, libfontconfig1-dev and libxinerama-dev.

Toby
This should do it. I've also inquired as to whether or not the tutorial needs this info and will update as needed.

-Tres
Hi Tres,
I installed the packages just fine. As an eternal newbie, do I need to do the "make install" again now with the new packages, or is it ready to use?

brian
DistroWatch

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”