Bitwig price, release date announced

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I don't know but the Linux version will be priced at $49.
You can't always get what you waaaant...

My first reaction to Bitwig is "Oooh! Shiny new toy! ". But the truth is, between Sonar and Live, all my DAW needs are really being met very well. Will Bitwig substantially improve my life in any meaningful way, or is it just going to be yet another variation on the same old theme? That is the question...
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Now we need to find out what really matters around these parts, TRANSFER POLICY!!!!! :)

haha!

stanlea wrote:I don't know but the Linux version will be priced at $49.
? Bitwig on Linux $49 ???

Yes, Linux users can't afford sh**. :P

Well, joke aside, i don't want to troll Linux, but i wonder why they strived for Linux compatibility anyway. It's such a small market OS wise already, and in the music business, it will be even a smaller market, and considering this won't be exactly cheap @ 300€, how many Linux copies will they sell? Like 50? Well they got to know... hopefully the cross platform compatibility wasn't the reason the development took so long. And not exactly the smartest move in terms of support also, totally different sound system on Linux, so lots of different problems. But that's also true for Mac of course, but then, it's 3 systems to maintain. Hope they have the manpower.
Last edited by chk071 on Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chk071 wrote:Yes, Linux users can't afford sh**. :P
Im a dual booter so , Im deffinitely gonna check it out then .

fedexnman wrote:
chk071 wrote:Yes, Linux users can't afford sh**. :P
Im a dual booter so , Im deffinitely gonna check it out then .
Actually, the lack of VST compatibility would be the biggest hindering point for me. Or does Bitwig include some kind of wrapper?

There are ways to use windows vst with wine and use them in Linux apps , but i dont have time to figure that one out ..... But you could use Bitwig as a closed system like Reason .

Yep. I think the Wine VST thing will take additional processing power again though, something you don't really want to have when using already CPU intensive stuff. That's basically the problem with Linux stuff, they stumble over their own philosophy, closing themselves to the (proprietary) market, like in this case with the lack of VST support. But of course, as you said, as a closed system it could be interesting, if the included instruments, effects and library are good.

chk071 wrote:Yep. I think the Wine VST thing will take additional processing power again though, something you don't really want to have when using already CPU intensive stuff. That's basically the problem with Linux stuff, they stumble over their own philosophy, closing themselves to the (proprietary) market. But of course, as you said, as a closed system it could be interesting, if the included instruments, effects and library are good.
Yep , I only make music on a desktop , but a Laptop either dual booted or just running Linux and have something like Bitwig on it would be pretty cool to have .

Yeah, could very well become the best DAW in the Linux world. :)

Could someone finally make a cool live performance app? Ableton Live abandoned that path four years ago with their big DAW dreams and it seems like Bigwig is also going down that path. Oh well...

What do you want out of them? Curious.

someone suggested a brain to audio interface at the abe's forum.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”