48%
Studio One 2 (artist)
23%
Fish
24%

Total votes: 101

RELATED
PRODUCTS

SuperG wrote:It just too hard to download those demos...it's just so much better when you can get thousands of subjective opinions! :dog:
What other kind of opinions are there? :P

Mike's no troll, and asking for opinions is a perfectly reasonable thing to do on a discussion forum.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Well that depends, according to some, you should not. Unless of course if THEY have a question, then it's perfectly fine :roll:

Hmmmmmm, a quick read shows that the comments are mostly from a derogatory or confrontational posture. I think we'll just make the "click" and be done with that :)

hibidy wrote:Well that depends, according to some, you should not. Unless of course if THEY have a question, then it's perfectly fine :roll:
...in your opinion. :D
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

cryophonik wrote:
hibidy wrote:Well that depends, according to some, you should not. Unless of course if THEY have a question, then it's perfectly fine :roll:
...in your opinion. :D
;)

hibidy wrote:Hmmmmmm, a quick read shows that the comments are mostly from a derogatory or confrontational posture. I think we'll just make the "click" and be done with that :)
You shouldn't talk about yourself that way, hibidy. :oops:

cryophonik wrote:
SuperG wrote:It just too hard to download those demos...it's just so much better when you can get thousands of subjective opinions! :dog:
What other kind of opinions are there? :P

Mike's no troll, and asking for opinions is a perfectly reasonable thing to do on a discussion forum.
I agree, this seems like a perfectly reasonable post by the OP. There are enough people who also feel the same way and responded positively. Enough to take the thread to 4 pages.

Presumably, the 'Hosts' forum exists just for people to discuss and ask questions about, well, hosts :dog:

It's just my observation and a highly subjective opinion of course, that on internet forums in general, that those who cry "Troll" the loudest are quite often the ones who actually turn out to be trolls :roll:

That's my opinion as well :hihi:

Heh,

Funny, it takes 3000 posts to finally educate oneself to the initial point where one can finally ask the question "What DAW should I buy?"... That's a either a world record for thickness in a long learning curve... or a self-serving gratuitous post...

Nothing wrong with talking about hosts - but the thread title is full of it.

Some of the comments here lately ? geesh ..... negative negative negative ........ must be something in the air or something . Maybe its this baby blue on the KVR pages or something . blah blah trol blah blah ...

It's not limited to KVR.

Well I've entered the trial stage. I'm saving Mixcraft till I do some more work with S1. Comments still welcome.
Why are there no example files to work with in either reaper or S1? I looked I really did.

Reaper recognized my plugins but then doesn't want to load vst's for me but does load DXi's (Coyote) On the surface the midi editing and performance issues have much to be desired. I'm not having a good time with reaper. Maybe I need to load up all that extra's stuff to get a handle on it.

S1 Pro has faired a little better. I am not liking the plug in window. It blocks the mixer/transport It needs to be able to be minimized or nested to something else. That being said I do like the fact that all the tracks are nested in the plugin window.
I tried Independence for a bass vi to replace the impact one. S1 was missing notes for the bass. Then I tried DimPro. It handled DimPro rather well and my DimPro Bass was more suited to the piece. I tried to generate a mixdown to wave several times. Each time the .sav was recorded as an error and crashed wmp when testing.
I finally tried a mixdown to og. It still didn't work in wmp but did work in winamp. The Bass and the Piano which were DimPro instruments wer nowhere to be found in the mixdown.

I've only begun my testing in S1 Producer and at this point reaper is off the table. I don't like the fact that I've got to set each midi channel to ms wavetable synth and it isn't recognizing my plugins.

On another track I've been listening to a lot of user created stuff from BIAB/Realband 2013 I've got 2010.5 Realband has come along was but they don't offer trials.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

tapper mike wrote:Well I've entered the trial stage. I'm saving Mixcraft till I do some more work with S1. Comments still welcome.
I'm a big fan of the Mixcraft developers. They've created something really nice, pretty easy to use, and they sell it at a really attractive price. But I wouldn't personally compare it on equal ground to the major (or wanna be major) workstations except for in a more limited personal music production setting / personal need situation, not for anything beyond a really small personal studio operation. For that particular use case, it's a really great value.

I do kinda hate it's mix console... but I really love it's video tracks. :tu:

I think your decision between it and S1 will largely depend on what you plan to use them for. I personally think S1 Producer is a subjectively better workstation, but it costs more, so... Mixcraft still looks really great at that price.

I've had it with larger brand names. Many of them I've been there done that and not kept up with my upgrades because I didn't feel the upgrade (at that point) was worth it. While S1 has gained a lot of cred in the industry for the short time it's been here, kicking over major names it still mantains a smaller footprint making for stability (somewhat) over it's competitors.

No more cubase, no more samplitude, no more cakewalk. no more live. I'm not in the industry, my income is diminshing I'm not getting a new computer this year. I'm not replacing ram or the processor. What I have to deal with is what I have to deal with.

I've heard some good mixes with Reaper. I've heard some great mixes with S1 and I've heard some great mixes with Mixcraft. The realband stuff is quite franky topping all of them however many of the realband mixes I've noticed are post processed in other daws for mastering effects.

The two major acid tests for me are.... How well it handles live instrument input (not loops) and live midi performance. After that it's how well the daw handles third party plug ins. Plug ins are everywhere. Often I feel that Daw manufactuers are so intent on releasing something new to keep the cash flowing they concentrate on plugins more then improving the environment in which it operates.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Yeah. They all can get to the same places but very few of them take the exact same paths or use the same methods or feel the same in use. Once you filter multiple potential "working reliably for you" choices by the features you want, there's really nothing much left to discriminate between them but personal comfort.

A product can do everything under the sun (the practical) but that maybe won't matter so much if you just don't like working in it (the subjective), which is why feature lists never tell the complete story of anything.

Where we usually go astray is paying for something before finding out what we don't like about it, from focusing maybe too much (early on) on what we do like, then later griping about the stuff we learned that we don't like.
Last edited by LawrenceF on Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”