48%
Studio One 2 (artist)
23%
Fish
24%

Total votes: 101

RELATED
PRODUCTS

totally agree on installing sws for reaper even just for the snapshots(similar to samps). Both S1 and reaper are really good, hard to recommend one over the other, Studio one feels more cohesive and organised but reaper has way more under the hood, Studio ones take system is the best I have seen, reapers takes can become a mess very quickly.
Editing in reaper feels more natural.

I change my mind at least once a week on which one is the best

totally agree on installing sws for reaper even just for the snapshots(similar to samps). Both S1 and reaper are really good, hard to recommend one over the other, Studio one feels more cohesive and organised but reaper has way more under the hood, Studio ones take system is the best I have seen, reapers takes can become a mess very quickly.
Editing in reaper feels more natural.

I change my mind at least once a week on which one is the best

Keep in mind: If you don't want to choose REAPER, you have to choose "Fish"... :P
(at least if you take the poll for serious)

...no ,,, Mixcraft is still on the table.

Call me old fashion but when I download a DAW everything should be there to do the job. One shouldn't have to install brakes to test drive a car.

I was going to do a screen cast of what is going not right with reaper today. I'm sure all you reaper fans would be glad to point out what I'm doing wrong. However I'd rather give Mixcraft an initial run.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

tapper mike wrote:...no ,,, Mixcraft is still on the table.

Call me old fashion but when I download a DAW everything should be there to do the job. One shouldn't have to install brakes to test drive a car.

I was going to do a screen cast of what is going not right with reaper today. I'm sure all you reaper fans would be glad to point out what I'm doing wrong. However I'd rather give Mixcraft an initial run.
Form the FAQ of Standing Waters Studios (developer of SWS extensions):
Why aren't these features native to Reaper? I don't like using software that's not built in.

Please, go away and bug someone else.
Now I call you OLD FASHIONED!!! :D

Nah, I understand you totally. Glad you found one. It is more important to find a software which supports someones workflow than having the "latest" stuff but no fun.

Regards
Sebastian
Underground Music Production: Sound Design, Machine Funk, High Tech Soul

Why aren't these features native to Reaper? I don't like using software that's not built in.

Please, go away and bug someone else.
:hihi: We should probably just leave SWS alone before he decides to just stop working on his extensions and just (if you use Reaper), be very grateful. :hihi:

Some of the stuff he did there is spectacular, functionally.

The "snapshots" are a really big finger wag to companies like Steinberg... kinda saying... "You know damn well your users who've paid you thousands of dollars over the last 10 years should have had this years ago. " :lol:

totally agree on installing sws for reaper even just for the snapshots(similar to samps).
Can you elaborate on how snapshots work in Reaper?
Thanks
Kraznet
Asus Z97-A| i7 4770K|32GB DDR3|Samsung 850 Pro 512 SSD System|Crucial 960gb SSD A/V|Crucial 960 SSD Samples|GTX 960 2GB|RME Raydat|Windows 10 x64, Philips 40" 4K
My Samplitude/Sequoia Tutorials are here :
http://www.youtube.com/kraznet

Kraznet wrote:
totally agree on installing sws for reaper even just for the snapshots(similar to samps).
Can you elaborate on how snapshots work in Reaper?
Thanks
Kraznet
I haven't read it yet, but this seems to be a pretty interesting article:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug11/a ... h-0811.htm

Late last night I installed Mixcraft. And today I've been playing around with it.

On a scale of cool this is way way way cool.
It had no problems scanning my plugins. Sadly it won't recognize my old DXi's like Coyote or my 64bit plugins.

It's not as slick a ui as say...S1 especially in regards to plugins However it is a very well thought out layout with tools where one needs them.

The program loaded with a project file. No digging for something to text. The project file had effects inserted on the individual tracks and the individual tracks especially the vocals weren't preprocessed the hell out. Which is a more real life testing environment. Just as Brother Charles had stated in his review.

WaveRT shames asio and WMD/Direct X It's not even funny.
When I mixdown to wave or other selected formats it actually mixes down properly and provides a usable file format without dithering issues. S1 produced a .wav that crashed my windows media player and had a rather squashed response via winamp

I've only been working with the template and one jazz midi file so far. The included acoustica instruments are really quite wonderful for somethings less so then others. The jazz guitar is more plausible then most but it still required a little eq tweaking to bring up a more faithful ES-175 with laminate top.

The upright bass didn't fair as well for me. Too much mid and high end for an upright bass in a jazz combo. It's like they installled a fishman at the bridge and then sampled from the fingering a bassist would use for a solo (as well as the range)

I have as of yet to really delve into the effects. I did some quick touching around with only some basic limiter, comperssor and eq. So far highly effective
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Just as an update.

Reaper has totally dropped out of the race. With S1 I'm finding that I'm not finding stuff as easily as I should. Helpful S1 users are helping me to see what I'm missing yet some problems still persist such as ...midi in not being sent to instruments.

S1 does have a solid collection of instruments and I'd love to experiment with them more...If I could get the damn midi to work. It seems that S1 is adding cumbersome steps to the process while Mixcraft is extremely intuitive.

I wish there was more I could do to help with S1. Not having midi sent is one I'm not aware of except some people with novation have experienced it. But hey, if mixcraft is the one, then there you go!

tapper mike wrote:Just as an update.

...midi in not being sent to instruments.
There is a good midi monitor you can use to troubleshoot.
Default all messages in system are tracked - just check boxes for everything but midi in - that should show midi coming in.

One thing that is tricky with S1 is their automatic arming of a selected track that you cannot disable - so if you select another track, the one you arm might not be armed anymore.

But if meter on track jumps you should have at least midi in - and midi monitor should tell you on what channel that is.

Other things I found are that monitoring is sending all channels to the instrument, disregarding what channel is selected. It only record and play back according to set channel.

Other traps - if you are routing from midi out on an instrument, it might not let midi pass through.

And finally - if you happended to select an existing driver to your keyboard you could try and assign the same midi ports to a generic keyboard device you create, to rule out anything is wrong there.

A few things that come to mind...I fiddled with a new external keyboard yesterday so S1 works as it should.

I looked at the midi monitor. No response. Even though the little midi indicator lights up when I play via my midi device.

Not routing.

My usb to midi cable works just fine for all my other daws and hosts. (no I don't have any of them open separately when testing in S1)

Looking at the results of your poll Reaper should be your only consideration. There really is no need to demo or test any other software..... if you want to be honest about the intentions of including a poll.

It seems foolish for anyone to convince you otherwise with that large of a margin.

Of course we can also ignore that poll altogether,Hmmmmmm??

(Me being silly again)

In all seriousness, I hope you find a good working platform

I've got an odd thing that you might try. Is the controller set to "10?" I had this problem once and ran into issues.

Other than that, are you sure you have the keyboard set up properly. You have to add an instance and then set the ins/outs. You probably already did that but since I have no issues with usb midi (and most to nearly all don't) I'm trying anything I can think of.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”