Studio One 2.6.2 - with new pay add-ons

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hibidy wrote:I just feel like as much time as I've put into this, I should know everything :hihi:
I feel exactly the same way when I go to my local supermarket. I Should know everything... but those gits ...go and move it all somewhere else!!

Egad, Nothing had me more shell shocked then walking into a local meijers a few years back only to discover THEY MOVED EVERYTHING!!! i take the same path I always do to the electronics/computer stuff and it's not there. The mens ware vanished, My favorite goodie isles were transplanted. I asked someone to pinch me to confirm I wasn't dreaming (bad idea) I finally came to grips with the change of floor plan.

Anyway. Hibidy you are a musician. You are using the program as a musician would. And you prolly care less about the extra's you don't look for if the program did the thing you wanted it to.

That's where my whole rant of including example template files comes from.
When working from an example template it's not "Your music" you or anyone would be less concerned about screwing up an example song. They also are choked full of applied plugin effects. Which not only offers a lesson as to for example why certain limiters are better used in specific situations and other limiters/compressors work well in others. It's also real handy when they have presets with names that make sense. or descriptors that explain best example/practices.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

tapper mike wrote:That's where my whole rant of including example template files comes from. When working from an example template it's not "Your music" you or anyone would be less concerned about screwing up an example song. They also are choked full of applied plugin effects. Which not only offers a lesson as to for example why certain limiters are better used in specific situations and other limiters/compressors work well in others. It's also real handy when they have presets with names that make sense. or descriptors that explain best example/practices.
Hey Tapper,

There are demo songs for S1 if that's what you mean. Although, I don't run a demo license so I can't say with certainty they're available for demo users but I would assume they would be. If so... they'd be in your user account under the "Misc" tab (click "see all details" under the software and then click the "Misc" tab) as "Demos and Tutorials".

Or, if it works the same way in the demo, click the Studio One | Studio One Installation menu and click "Install From User Account" on that dialog and you can download them directly from there. But that ties up Studio One during the download (you won't be able to use it until the download finishes) so the website is better for big downloads.

The zip file is 388mb so obviously that wouldn't (well... preferably "shouldn't") be attached to the demo application download, but an optional download. I think there are 3 full songs in that zip.

Hope that helps.

thanks for that Lawrence
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

I dont like these kind of stuff at all.

First, I dont like closed platforms/formats.

Second this is a way to demotivate the host to have all the feature it could because some are left off for add ons...

tapper mike wrote:thanks for that Lawrence
You're very welcome Tapper.

As a side note, that was one of my gripes with Steiny, that they tied too much stuff together and the demo download file was like... 3.5 gb. My DSL is pretty slow so that's quite literally "hours", especially if the kid is gaming on the X-Box online at the same time eating bandwidth. :(

Anyway, i hope it all works out well for you, S1, Mixcraft or whatever you end up with.

I think it heavily depends on how they do it.

Ableton Live Suite comes with tons of orchestral sounds that many people in the target audience will never use. Some other hosts are bloated like that as well.

The three new add-ons to Studio One are nothing I care about at all, so I'm happy I have the choice actually. As long as they keep it to special interest stuff I'm fine.

But yeah, it would be bad if it became too much of an app store for basic things.

I would happily buy a surround package ;-)
Something many people don't care for but I do.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

True. There are always potential negatives and positives involved with the unknown. All we can really do is wait and see which way it swings in general.

It may turn out exactly like some of the more negative impressions here predict. I usually hope for the best but still try to be prepared for the worst, and more often than not, things tend to land somewhere in between.

I suppose we'll all find out one way or another eventually.

ThomasHelzle wrote:I think it heavily depends on how they do it.
True but one the other side third parties can cover almost all of that stuff much better, and in more open formats.

ThomasHelzle wrote: Ableton Live Suite comes with tons of orchestral sounds that many people in the target audience will never use. Some other hosts are bloated like that as well.
As bloated as you want really - if you don't want the extra stuff you don't have to pay for it or download it

yeah, the last thing I think of with live is bloated.

Code bloat doesn't come from loops and plugins. (though download bloat does) There are two gorrilla's in product development. Legacy support and Prior Managerial decision making.

Each time you release a major upgrade the engine is overhalled from start but has to have some legacy support. Otherwise you'll be alienating your base when old projects no longer work in the new versions. Those that have purchased prior versions can be the bread for newer releases or a milstone that drags future advances down. Those that have been disappointed in the past are extremely reluctant to walk down that same path again (yours truely) There is only X amount of daw users on the planet and that number is dwindling. It's very very hard to get converts especially when you have an established name like.... cubase.

Nuendo represents a paradign shift for Steiny. It's not your fathers oldsmobile It doesn't have to support the gorillas in the room. Yet it does have to be marketed as a different kind of daw. Had Stieny been smarter rather then co-branding inhouse they would have made nuendo appear to have no direct tie to cubase. Sure start a "new" company. Bring all the old devs over and find some fresh faces to spice up the show.

*sigh* Sadly, Studio One remains one of my least favorite investments. Amazing concept but nowhere near the maturity of other DAWs and they don't seem to be making much progress in that respect based on the last 1.5 years. These add-ons are completely uninteresting for me. Looks like ever since their main product manager Jonathan left, they've lost their way.

It is that lack of maturity in which the strength is found. Legacy support can be an endless spiral supporting outdated coding so older project files can play in newer versions. And yet Legacy support is the glue that bonds the user base to the program. Are you going to diss long time users by making their programs no longer accessible in newer versions?

In other matters pertaining to Studio One.
I need help.
My midi in is being recognized by Studio one (I can see the midi active light) but it is not sending to my instrument channel. Even though it's designated as an instrument track with a virtual instrument selected and shows "all input" for the midi signal. I tried the whole plug in and unplug and restart thing. S1 does recognize the device.

Have you clicked the little blue speaker icon on the track that activates the audio output.
It's always off by default it seems
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”