Studio One 2.6.2 - with new pay add-ons

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

"Studio One 2.6.2 introduces support for Add-ons, which are program extensions, soundsets, plug-ins, and other assets exclusively for Studio One 2.6.2 and higher. Add-ons are available for purchase directly from the PreSonus online store. The update also fixes a few known issues."

http://www.presonus.com/news/press_rele ... 62-Add-ons

Hm... if this is pulled of right, this could definitely show Steinberg "the finger" in terms of how update a host, but still keep it customizable to your needs.

So even if you buy (for example) S1 Producer or Artist, you don't update because of the content, but you're staying with the main version. And if you want "custom enhancements" (read: tools), either get Professional "Extended" or get just the tool you need.

Other devs could definitely take a slice from that, instead of asking for mid-term upgrade fees that introduce tools that you don't really need.

Presonus is peeing on the turf of other developers for quite some time now. I'm curious how this plays out with S1 v3 (whenever that might hit), because as of this moment - this host is not really my cup of tea... yet.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Seems kind of Fruity !

I hate it. And I'm not interested. I use 3rd party stuff for all that.

What I'm disappointed in is there are a few confirmed bugs that were not squashed. Honestly, I have always been perplexed by hosts.

Then again, I must remember the nightmare I encountered with sonar and feel blessed that I have so much cool stuff that works as well as it does.

What problems or bugs are fixed in 2.6.2 ? Im totally not seeing the list ?

Oh I see it now ? Only like 3 things listed ... Maybe Presonus will sell a 3rd party VST add on tool for free or artist ? lolz .... This seems kind of like Fruity Loops to me ?

You have to give them credit though. Presonus is living by the rules of the jungle.

Instead of hoarding all the goods yourself, you make "peace" with the deadliest animals, stand by and watch, but get your own share in return.

AVID, Apple, Steinberg... these three companies are still playing on the "midterm upgrade fee" game (actually, not so much Apple), and add stuff you basically don't need. While Apple drastically dropped prices (but introduced "AppStore only and Sandbox checks"), AVID and Steinberg skyrocketed them. Also Steinberg is somewhat not getting to their own issues either.

Along come companies like Cockos and Presonus - watching the competition, ask for feedback by their users. And while not every bug might be squatted, and not everything works to the users concept or ideas, these companies at least say "you know what... we learn from mistakes by others and improve on that". Or at least try.

Especially considering that half of the Presonus coders once worked for Steinberg and created Cubase SX. (at least according to legend)

So... I'm sitting back and watch. Kind of expecting S1 v3 by either summer or end of the year. I think I'll take another look at that time again. In the meantime I hope that the "kings of the jungle" duke it out - but the right way.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:AVID, Apple, Steinberg... these three companies are still playing on the "midterm upgrade fee" game (actually, not so much Apple), and add stuff you basically don't need. While Apple drastically dropped prices (but introduced "AppStore only and Sandbox checks"), AVID and Steinberg skyrocketed them. Also Steinberg is somewhat not getting to their own issues either.
Actually, Apple did not lower the prices, since they drop the upgrades. Old users have to pay full for the "upgrade", so... where are those "drastical dops"? It's even worse than Steinberg.
Fernando (FMR)

Upgrade prices is why I jumped of the Big Boy host ride , I had Suite 8 without M4L and it was just to high of an upgrade price , even for regular Live 9 , With Presonus , you just wait till one of there sales/upgrade sales and Bam your OK. Ive seen S1V2 producer sold at the price of Reaper , and Im talking new license not the used marketplace . Here lately Ive been using Tracktion more and also try to use Reaper . Im not poor , but I rather shell out money for a VST sampler , instrument , samples/sounds ,hardware , guitar ,, or effects than keep shelling out that kind of money for a VST host update . It just gets plain stupid .

I'm waiting for someone to go "bat-shit conspiracy theory" over one of the pictures on the blog ... :hihi:

http://www.presonus.com/community/blog/ ... e-add-ons/

I don't get it.

They got a picture of the grim REAPER for there metal pack add on ..... lolz ... I dont know the add-on store seems ok to me now , I guess its like the app store , itunes , google play , but for there host ? Marketing geniuses .....

fmr wrote:Actually, Apple did not lower the prices, since they drop the upgrades. Old users have to pay full for the "upgrade", so... where are those "drastical dops"? It's even worse than Steinberg.
I do remember that Logic 8 to 9 cost about 200-300 EUR while the regular price of the host was like 499EUR or something.

Logic 10 barely costs 200 EUR. Granted it is both the upgrade and at the same price for a new license. But then again... Logic 9 stood still for several years. Whether or not that's good lies on a whole different ballpark. But that's Apple - buy it all over.

Other companies ask for either annual fees, or charge with any other update. Again, Steinberg comes to mind (annual), and raised the price in turn as well. Or AVID, who charges or just minor updates - for several hundred EUR.

Apple is harmless compared to that. At least IMO.

I also just took a dive at the pricing of the "enhancement modules". The amp and the drums are around 28EUR (incl VAT), while the MP3 encoder is for S1 Artist (I think this is a Fraunhofer License) is about 10 EUR.

Compared to the Fraunhofer Licenses that you once had to pay for in case of Steinberg (Wavelab), that's fair. If you don't need the Encoder - plenty of alternatives out.

LawrenceF wrote:I'm waiting for someone to go "bat-shit conspiracy theory" over one of the pictures on the blog ... :hihi:
You mean... what will be ported next? And... who's behind the Amp?

Personally... I don't really care. I'm stuffed with that type of content (freeware even!). Though granted, 30 EUR as "add-on" that might eventually(!, as in maybe) find it's way into S1 v3... it's fair. Nobody is forcing you to buy it. Unlike certain other companies.

I don't see this as a conspiracy or something like that. I think Presonus is actually doing what Steinberg originally intended: get some mid-term income to further fund development.

Only that Steinberg (as prime example yet again, since I am a Steinberg user and stuff) was more like "you pay for the host AND the tools - may you need them or not - but you won't get a .5 update otherwise".

So the critism that waved all over the music boards towards Steinberg and AVID (with their old upgrade politics) got picked up by other developers. And they think "let's just ask for money for add-ons - if people want it, they get it. We get the income, so we can further develop our host".

Sounds about right to me. And is totally understandable why certain people think the update to S1 v3 is taking too long. But I rather have a host that I do not(!) have to update (paid) every 10-11 months, but maybe once every 3-4 years and gladly pay for add-ons in the meantime. Especially if I get them bundled in the next major version (which is purely speculative at this point).

So, are the pay add-ons in VST format? Or is it some sort of proprietary format you can only use in Studio One?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”