Studio one

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

How long to wait for a major update fro studio one. The Daw is so lacking in the midi domain and other stuff. It is a nice piece of software with great potential. It feels like they given up on it.
Life and music

Since they release 2.6 as free minor update in last august, I would expect maybe v3 arrive after summer or something.

I don't know how their betatesting is managed if any are testing a v3 or not?

I expect notation abilities at least as major feature - at least for Professional version.

Deppy wrote:How long to wait for a major update fro studio one. The Daw is so lacking in the midi domain and other stuff. It is a nice piece of software with great potential. It feels like they given up on it.
What features is it lacking? There was a major update with 2.6, which was not so long ago. What makes you think they've given up on it?
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

I never understand the call for 'major' version updates to any product. Give me constant minor revisions that also keep adding features, that way its free to me :) (why people want to just throw money at a company is beyond me)

Presonus has already shown they have no issue providing fairly significant updates in point releases

Deppy, I have to ask too, what midi features is it lacking?

I work mainly with midi and find S1 adequate; but I'm thinking maybe I'm missing something if some one else thinks it is not full featured.

I will agree some other DAWS are better in the midi department. I think Sonar is easier to work with midi.

I also think that with Presonus's dedication to sound, they are not likely to enhance the midi aspects of S1. Just speculation on my part.

I am confident we will continue to see future updates/upgrades of S1. Just my take on it.

Happy Musiking!
dsan

EDIT: Also meant to ask....what really needs to be updated with S1? I think it's pretty good as it is. Most importantly, it works...and without crashing!

But then, I don't go as deep into a DAW as others may.
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Edit: Never mind. My response was pointless and redundant.

Well you have to look at it this way, for a junkie, at least it's something to talk about :hihi: :help:

KVR has been BORING since about a week :roll:

Programmers don't work by sprinkling magic dust on software at regular intervals and then magically produce fixes and enhancements. Often times in the development process one fix for something or a minor enhancement causes problems seemlingly unrelated in other areas of operation.

First they have to identify a bug by recreating it for themselves. One person may have a fluke on their computer that is not common but presents a bug for that one person in the universe. It's hell if you are that one person but also it's hell on a programmer to find it if it's limited to your computer. It could be anything external from a non aggressive virus to an out of date operating system to some stupid coding on an irrelevant software product that shouldn't affect your operation at all.

Nonetheless. Job One is to recreate the bug. If they can recreate it then maybe, maybe they can isolate the problem and fix it.... Maybe.....
Bug fixes aren't like putting a frozen dinner into a microwave then pressing a preset and waiting for the "ding" It's work, hard work and has to be balanced with other hard work to get things done.

I've always thought it was stupid to announce products that weren't ready for market and then set a timestamp on when the product was available. It's dumb for consumers and it's dumb for providers.

Let's take the ....bigwig example. Bitwig says it's coming. Doesn't say when it's coming and builds a lot of hype around bitwigs super new cutting edge blows Abelton Live out of the water thingy. Finally Bitwig sets a release date and has it all working but everyone in the universe has to wait for the release date. So meanwhile Abelton does bitwig one better with this super cool feature and releaes it now. If you are an abelton live user are you going to sit on your hands and wait for the bitwig release or are you simply going to update Abelton? Wait for something that is ready now just because they want an extravaganza for the event or get it now?

Setting a release date for a product is dumb if that product is ready to go before the release date.

Now let's take the other scenario. Having a release date set that you can't make due to unforseen problems. .... Like oh bitwig or ... You Rock Guitar. I paid a year in advance of recieving the product and each month I'd get a notice saying sorry not this month,,,maybe next. Then they'd set a date fail the date and not inform paid costumers for months at a time. When it arrived the unit was flawed with serious hardware problems that should have been resolved before it went into production. Then prolonged waiting for failed firmware updates which never resolved the hardware issues. I wasn't the only one pissed off about the broken promises. Many of us at KVR were.

It's just plain smarter for a company to fix problems as they can and release those fixes when they are fixed rather then forcing minor downloads constantly on to consumers (like adobe acrobat or java)

Significant improvements such as major product enhancements are upgrade worthy Upgrades keep software companies making money. Bug fixes are not upgrades they are updates. If a company closes your software investment goes not back to them but out the window. There is no one to fix the bug there is often no way to transfer the product from one aging computer to the next and you are left trying to paddle against the current trying to avoid the waterfall dead ahead.
Last edited by tapper mike on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

tapper mike wrote:I've always thought it was stupid to announce products that weren't ready for market and then set a timestamp on when the product was available. It's dumb for consumers and it's dumb for providers.

Let's take the ....bigwig example
Edit. hold on I'm having a tough time responding because I think you are contradicting your self. ^First you're talking about announcing it before it ready, then you are talking about holding it back just back they want an extravaganza:
tapper mike wrote:Wait for something that is ready now just because they want an extravaganza for the event or get it now?
tapper mike wrote:So meanwhile Abelton does bitwig one better with this super cool feature and releaes it now. If you are an abelton live user are you going to sit on your hands and wait for the bitwig release or are you simply going to update Abelton?
Ableton did not do bitwig one better. They released multi-monitor support - just one of the new features Bitwig is promising. And their implementation is inferior to Bitwig's.
tapper mike wrote:Setting a release date for a product is dumb if that product is ready to go before the release date.
That's why nobody does this. At least not for the most part, and nobody in your examples. The release date is set when you expect you can get it out by that time.
tapper mike wrote:Having a release date set that you can't make due to unforseen problems. .... Like oh bitwig or ... You Rock Guitar. I paid a year in advance of recieving the product and each month I'd get a notice saying sorry not this month,,,maybe next.
Bitwig didn't really do this, they set a projected range and then just recently set the date. They did miss the range by a few months but obviously they ahve not missed the date, and they are still not accepting preorders.
Last edited by Ogopogo on Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

im sorry this is my first time in here and i dont know if im in the right topic my question is about tracktion 4 i did everything to set up my pc but i cant record directly from my x32 behringer what can i do

hibidy wrote:Well you have to look at it this way, for a junkie, at least it's something to talk about :hihi: :help:

KVR has been BORING since about a week :roll:
:hihi: KVR is never boring, you can always find a train wreck somewhere. :) But yeah, the host forum gets really boring when too many people start being reasonable.

Thankfully, that doesn't really ever last very long. :)

if the weather here ever gets above zero again I might actually be able to walk away from the net for a few weeks. I kinda do hate my ipad because it's way too easy to stay on the net almost no matter what else you happen to be doing. I need rehab. :hihi:

Oh, I'd MUCH rather have a reasonable conversation. I know, it doesn't seem that way. :hihi:

In fairness to the net gods, it's not even the Internet that causes the train wrecks. It's just that it allows so many large groups of people who would always have very different strong opinions about anything, to come together and endlessly debate them in almost real time. :hihi:

If you grabbed 10 people from every major city in America, put them in a room with a list of 10 simple questions related to almost anything in general, and said "discuss", you'd probably get about the same percentage of train wrecks, :lol:

Especially if they couldn't actually see each other while they were discussing it. :)

But yeah, it's been unusually calm around here recently. Steinberg will announce something new and change all that. :hihi:

requena74 wrote:im sorry this is my first time in here and i dont know if im in the right topic my question is about tracktion 4 i did everything to set up my pc but i cant record directly from my x32 behringer what can i do
Hi requena74 and welcome to the forum. :tu:

You may want to consider searching the "Hosts and Applications" forum (this one) for a topic about Tracktion and post inside one of those threads.

Posting inside a thread of a differnet topic probably will not net you a response.

If you cannot find a topic that relates to your question you may want to consider starting a new thread then.

HTH :wink:

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Ogopogo wrote:[Edit. hold on I'm having a tough time responding because I think you are contradicting your self. ^First you're talking about announcing it before it ready, then you are talking about holding it back just back they want an extravaganza:
tapper mike wrote:Wait for something that is ready now just because they want an extravaganza for the event or get it now.

The bitwig thing was a for instance if situation.

The it's bad to announce a specified date thing covers why it's bad to announce a specified date for the release of a product
If:
Situation One
The product is done and everyone still has to wait for the release because someone wants to throw a big press release.

Situation Two
Another product scoups that same great idea and releases it earlier because they aren't waiting for the hoopla.

Situation Three
The release date is missed because of unforseen consequences and has to be pushed back because of a show stopper.

Situation Four
The product moves ahead into distribution to fit the release date even though there is a show stopper that should have been fixed before the product was released.

All four of the situations above illustrate why it's a bad idea to set a release date on a product in development. And anyone of them is more extremely likely to occur then having the product fully ready to go on the said projected release date.
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”