Tracktion 5 now available

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

satYatunes wrote: - Is it possible to audition loops while project is playing, just like Acid, Reaper, Sonar? It stops the project as soon as I click on a loop.
- How do you quantize the notes of a recorded midi clip? Yes, I admit my keyboard playing is not that great but I do play, record then play around with it in the midi editor. Quantize either all the notes or few notes manually depending on the situation. In Tracktion, I did see a lot of option to quantize but that didn't work as I was expecting. For example, I selected "Quantize note start to nearest 1/16, but didn't see all the notes locked. Plus, when I tried to drag the midi note it didn't snap to the grid.
No answers?
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

It seems they answer only in the Tracktion forum T5 thread...
I switched to there.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

I've never used Traktion, so pardon this naive question. What does Traktion 5 have over, say, Studio One, MuLab, or Metro? I ask as since I abandoned Acid Pro 7 have been looking for a DAW where I can hang my hat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tDj_Van ... uNbgY-4qFK

I'm not the Messiah. I'm not the Messiah!

lingyai wrote:I've never used Traktion, so pardon this naive question. What does Traktion 5 have over, say, Studio One, MuLab, or Metro? I ask as since I abandoned Acid Pro 7 have been looking for a DAW where I can hang my hat.
The spelling is totally different.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

So glad I've got this community to fall back on

Ok, but seriously.... maybe I can narrow the question somewhat by mentioning that I already have all the VSTis (mainly via Kontakt) and FX I need

Don't want to be wossit about this, but there is a KVR Tracktion forum (http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=22) and another forum on the Tracktion website. Could we perhaps avoid this being a third? Please put your questions and reservations on the first one. Thanks.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

At five pages already, looks a bit late to avoid

lingyai wrote:I've never used Traktion, so pardon this naive question. What does Traktion 5 have over, say, Studio One, MuLab, or Metro? I ask as since I abandoned Acid Pro 7 have been looking for a DAW where I can hang my hat.
For me, it's primarily the workflow. Most other DAWs I've used have a visual disconnect that I find annoying. In Tracktion the input is to the left of a track; the track has the audio/MIDI; the instruments and effects are to the right. In other DAWS, instruments are generally in racks somewhere else and whichever one you've chosen for a track is shown to the left of the notes that play through it. Mixers tend to flow top to bottom. And the windows! Stuff all over the place or - worse - nowhere to be found.
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

I used to use Tracktion back in v2 and v3 days. I liked it but for me it crashed constantly (OS X) and that never was fixed so I finally moved on.

The v5 features look excellent, but there are enough reports of odd behaviors that I am doubtful it is really solid.

I abandoned Acid Pro long time back. Moved to Sonar/Reaper. The best thing about Acid Pro was auditioning of loops while the project is playing. If the loops has keys and tempo info then it will match it with the project tempo and key. That was really helpful to quickly lay out ideas. I tried T5 demo today. Loop auditioning while the project is playing doesn't work as it should. The project play stops as soon as I click on a loop. This is pretty basic so I don't know if I am doing something wrong or this is broken. My question is not yet answered in any of the threads. Hopefully someone will pitch in. The other difference is the mixer. There is none in T5. I don't mind cause I do most of my mixing in track view only. In T5, everything is on the track from left to right so visually it's helpful and logical. There are no written manuals available. I watched a couple of videos when I was stuck, it helped but still a detailed manual will be great. It will take some time to get used to the workflow but you will feel at home in no time. Price is quite nice and it also includes a license of Melodyne Essential. I would strongly recommend to try the demo. Another DAW that's pretty close to Acid is Mixcraft.
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

satYatunes wrote:
I abandoned Acid Pro long time back. Moved to Sonar/Reaper. The best thing about Acid Pro was auditioning of loops while the project is playing. If the loops has keys and tempo info then it will match it with the project tempo and key. That was really helpful to quickly lay out ideas. I tried T5 demo today. Loop auditioning while the project is playing doesn't work as it should. The project play stops as soon as I click on a loop. This is pretty basic so I don't know if I am doing something wrong or this is broken. My question is not yet answered in any of the threads. Hopefully someone will pitch in. The other difference is the mixer. There is none in T5. I don't mind cause I do most of my mixing in track view only. In T5, everything is on the track from left to right so visually it's helpful and logical. There are no written manuals available. I watched a couple of videos when I was stuck, it helped but still a detailed manual will be great. It will take some time to get used to the workflow but you will feel at home in no time. Price is quite nice and it also includes a license of Melodyne Essential. I would strongly recommend to try the demo. Another DAW that's pretty close to Acid is Mixcraft.
Tracktion does not keep playing. That is how it is... Basically any action stops play.

satYatunes wrote: I abandoned Acid Pro long time back. Moved to Sonar/Reaper. The best thing about Acid Pro was auditioning of loops while the project is playing. If the loops has keys and tempo info then it will match it with the project tempo and key. That was really helpful to quickly lay out ideas. I tried T5 demo today. Loop auditioning while the project is playing doesn't work as it should. The project play stops as soon as I click on a loop. This is pretty basic so I don't know if I am doing something wrong or this is broken. My question is not yet answered in any of the threads. Hopefully someone will pitch in.
The "Play" button in the loop section has a tooltip that says "Play the selected file in the browser for quick auditioning with your edit."

Also Settings --> Loop Database --> Loop Previewing has choices for matching Tempo and/or Pitch.

These suggest that loops are meant to play along with the edit. If that's the case I think shouldn't be too hard to implement.

pdxindy wrote:I used to use Tracktion back in v2 and v3 days. I liked it but for me it crashed constantly (OS X) and that never was fixed so I moved on.
Do try the demo, I find this version more stable on OSX then it ever was!

Still stops the main transport when trying to audition loops. What an incredibly backward-thinking, narrow-minded design decision. Totally worthless for any kind of loop-based music production.

Thank God for Sonar. Even Acid Music Studio is better for my purposes than T5. Not "upgrading". :(
Bandcamp: https://suitcaseoflizards.bandcamp.com/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4kuy ... Dx4ziLn3ng
Now a Relay Radio DJ! http:/www.relay-radio.com

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”