im so sick and tired of daw crashes. ie the most stable daw?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thank you RockinLily and EnGee. So I don't have to post anything to address Mike's post. :D There are no bugs in AMD CPUs... he interpreted the discussion wrongly. Not to mention that the links he posted haven't told me absolutely anything... :shrug:
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Only on KVR would a topic go from Software to CPU's. I'm in suspense as to the next turn away from topic.

Kinda entertaining.

CTStump wrote:Only on KVR would a topic go from Software to CPU's. I'm in suspense as to the next turn away from topic.

Kinda entertaining.
Whaddya mean? KVR, DAW, and CPU all have 3 capital letters so it's totally relevant. :lol:

CTStump wrote:Only on KVR would a topic go from Software to CPU's. I'm in suspense as to the next turn away from topic.

Kinda entertaining.
I'm not terribly amused. Nothing against anyone, but between the title and the content, it's just another kvr thread.

Kinda entertaining.
yeah, that would be kinda like going from talking about cars to talking about gas mileage...absurd :ud:

However the title of the thread does not say a word about software, talking about cpu's should be a part of the most stable Digital Audio Workstation no? :P :hihi:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

My, my, technicalities..... :ud:

Carry on.

See, I don't have to worry about any of this nonsense because I have an i7 :shrug:

:D

hibidy wrote:See, I don't have to worry about any of this nonsense because I have an i7 :shrug:
iSee
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

You left off the smiley :D

Winstontaneous wrote:

Kinda entertaining.
Whaddya mean? KVR, DAW, and CPU all have 3 capital letters so it's totally relevant. :lol:
You forgot that AMD has three capital letters as well :hihi:

I'm sorry if I participate in turning the direction of the thread little bit :oops: but I honestly never thought about CPU incorrect instructions and how this can lead to crashes in software including the host software we are using.

I know there are some SSE instructions 'thing' that Intel has but AMD no (i'm not so updated in this topic), but I do remember more than 10 years ago, some software companies (like Pro/Engineer) supported only systems with Intel cpu and actually they had a list of supported cpus and graphic cards. At that time I suggested to test AMD cpus and Linux to cut expenses for the company I worked for. The first was taken in consideration while the second was absolutely ignored :hihi:

We did that AMD system and installed all the CAD/CAM soft to test them. Some worked fine, but Pro/Engineer was crashing and in short they were right that their software only worked with P4 (that time, and don't ask me why! I don't remember now!).

Although I believe there is no difference in cpu brand regarding the stability of the DAWs, but I don't dismiss any observation or fact that states otherwise.

well if anyone actually clicked my link they would see that I took no stance...it's just a google search results...I do recall back in the day (like 10 years ago at least) gol and I think JMC at FL talking about AMD's overheating...I seem to recall a lot of different opinions. I saw here some people say they had never heard such a thing so I googled on which ran hotter AMD or Intel and as the links show there is a lot of dissuasion about it.

As for me, my i7 2600 is two years old now and going strong and never disappoints me and runs samp quite well (Kraznet last time I checked had an i7 very similar to mine and he is the samplitude go to guy for sure)...but the same can be said about core 2duo e6700 that was my machine before the i7 and is now my back-up machine (it's xp though so only 32 bit)...both built by PC-AudioLabs :)

FTR last time I checked P-cal builds with both intel and amd...I can say that the only time I used a laptop for audio production it was a P4 and I do know that that thing liked to overheat and that sucked bigtime...I lost a lot of work. So I do care about whether it runs hot, I would never overclock...nor would I ever use laptop as my main machine again :shrug:

Kinda entertaining.
I previously wrote:Very few people will use proper problem analysis techniques to find root causes and will either apply dogma or will swap things out at random in the hope of fixing the undefined problem.
Thank you for proving my point :wink:
The actual topic was DAW crashes.
You are applying dogma by assuming that all DAW crashes are always software related, rather than having enough of an open mind to establish the facts on a case by case basis.

Software 'crashes' can happen for a multitude of reasons:
Badly written application code
Poor exception handling
Conflicts with third party software (DLLs, drivers etc)
Hardware conflicts
Hardware failure
Interrupt conflicts
etc. etc.

How many people (who use Windows) actually bother to look in the Windows Event log (application and system logs) when they experience any issues with their host / DAW software :?:
Last edited by Guest231427 on Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hibidy wrote:You left off the smiley :D
There are too many smileys in the world.
I wish everyone could be a bit more sad and depressed.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

This is an useful free program if you want to find out what caused the blue screen:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”