im so sick and tired of daw crashes. ie the most stable daw?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Winstontaneous wrote:
Curious, are the Reaper peeps talking about Windows or OSX?

Windows- but for me it is only unstable when using Kontakt,for straight audio it is completely stable. Other plugins seem fine,but I do not use a lot of different fx and instruments. Reaper has gradually become less stable for me over the last few years. Still usable, but Tracktion5 looks pretty good and probably by Tracktion6 I will shift.

AstralExistence wrote:hi guys. i own cubase7 artist, sonar x3 basic, reaper, mulab, and fl studio producer. what i want is a multi-track sequencer, and i want it not to crash! im so sick of crashes
Does MuLab crash? If yes send me a bug report pls. FYI: I get very few MuLab crash reports, to be honnest i can't even remember the last one.

mutools wrote:
AstralExistence wrote:hi guys. i own cubase7 artist, sonar x3 basic, reaper, mulab, and fl studio producer. what i want is a multi-track sequencer, and i want it not to crash! im so sick of crashes
Does MuLab crash? If yes send me a bug report pls. FYI: I get very few MuLab crash reports, to be honnest i can't even remember the last one.
not once.

So maybe the topic question is answered then? ;)

For me anyway it's Digital Performer 8 64 bit on OSX using mostly Audio Units with Jbridge wrapped 32 bit VSTs for some AAS plug ins.
Digital Performer in general is really stable. I couldn't comment on the PC version.

AstralExistence wrote:
mutools wrote:
not once.
I thought it was the stability of DAWs is your problem. Now if you don't have a problem with the crashes, then what's the problem?

Tracktion 5.01 has been 100% reliable and never crashed. Admittedly, based only on 10 days since its release.

woggle wrote:
Winstontaneous wrote:

Windows- but for me it is only unstable when using Kontakt,for straight audio it is completely stable. Other plugins seem fine,but I do not use a lot of different fx and instruments. Reaper has gradually become less stable for me over the last few years. Still usable, but Tracktion5 looks pretty good and probably by Tracktion6 I will shift.
I've happily used reaper in linux setups for years, with a wide array
of great windows vsts. Using linux kernel supported pci sound/video cards
is a key, along with proper configuration of the options in qjackctl,
the gui for linux jackd, and editing the text file /etc/security/limits.conf
to achieve the highest priorities for audio.

I assume using quality hardware with accurate configurations
is the key to success in windows and mac setups as well.
One must be willing to to purchase and test, until success is achieved,
and sell/trade/gift the parts that you find cause problems,
frustrations, or don't meet your needs.
Cheers

glokraw wrote:
woggle wrote:
Winstontaneous wrote:

Cheers
Your point might be valid if the system had changed, however the only change has been to the version of Reaper and those version changes have impacted on the stability when using Kontakt.

Even so, if true, the idea that one has to spend vast amounts of time and money to arrive at a stable DAW reflects poorly on the quality of software. I have used no end of complex software that is stable without having to design and build a specific physical system to cater for it.

AstralExistence wrote: From page 1:
AstralExistence wrote:well, cubase doesn't 'crash' on me and neither does reaper, neither does fl studio, or mulab. cubase suffers from the asio overload bug, reaper is big interface mess, fl studio is loop based, and mulab has no tool icons. sonar x3 crashes though and live 9 once or twice. i kinda lumped my dislike for certain daws with crashing but thats not the case. the only real crash culprit is x3 basic which i paid 50 usd for.
Do we have to conclude from this that X3 was the only one you actually paid for?
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

What is the most stable DAW ?

A carbon fibre guitar...

Virtually indestructible :)
No auto tune...

Personally Cubase - in my experience what makes any software unstable, is in general but not absolute, 3rd party plugins and other system settings outside the boundaries of the host DAW.

I have very few crashes using an combo of Ableton Live and AVID Pro Tools. I expect the most stable would be Reason from all the stuff I have read about its more recent versions and when I used to use it (v2 and v3) I do not remember it crashing once, Only problem is it is closed to its own format :shrug:

woggle wrote:
glokraw wrote:
woggle wrote:
Winstontaneous wrote:

Cheers
Your point might be valid if the system had changed, however the only change has been to the version of Reaper and those version changes have impacted on the stability when using Kontakt.

Even so, if true, the idea that one has to spend vast amounts of time and money to arrive at a stable DAW reflects poorly on the quality of software. I have used no end of complex software that is stable without having to design and build a specific physical system to cater for it.
The older versions of reaper are there to use, I don't usually upgrade
right away, unless the changelog offers something of importance.
The world is anxious full of spear-catchers, first to find the oddities.
I think since V2, there have been only two releases that 'broke' things for my system,
and then it took just a couple minutes to reinstall an earlier version.
Cheers

spaceman wrote:
AstralExistence wrote: From page 1:
AstralExistence wrote:well, cubase doesn't 'crash' on me and neither does reaper, neither does fl studio, or mulab. cubase suffers from the asio overload bug, reaper is big interface mess, fl studio is loop based, and mulab has no tool icons. sonar x3 crashes though and live 9 once or twice. i kinda lumped my dislike for certain daws with crashing but thats not the case. the only real crash culprit is x3 basic which i paid 50 usd for.
Do we have to conclude from this that X3 was the only one you actually paid for?
do not ever insinuate that i use cracked software. i do not. your're actually dumber then i thought if you think that as cubase7 isn't even cracked.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”