im so sick and tired of daw crashes. ie the most stable daw?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You didn't give specs on the AMD
I'm running Win XP and ProTools 7.3LE on an ASUS motherboard, AMD cpu, and 4 gb RAM.
assuming it's a single core And the fact that it's an AMD you still might not get any joy. AMD's like to run hot and make mistakes because of a floating point error. Then it tries to go back and fix the mistakes it makes. This becomes a very precarious situation in recording applications in and of itself. If you upgrade at all you'll be taxing the hell out of your processor. More ram won't cure that.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

tapper mike wrote: AMD's like to run hot and make mistakes because of a floating point error. Then it tries to go back and fix the mistakes it makes. This becomes a very precarious situation in recording applications in and of itself.
This is new to me! Do you have a source/article for this to read about?

I still have my old AMD (Athlon 3500+) desktop I assembled in 2007. I only had some crashes with Reaper V3 few years ago, but other than that I used it without a problem. The Processor barely heated to 40C (normal usage without overclocking).

It still running ok with XP and 1GB memory. It is slow now of course but I don't run heavy apps on it, except the internet browser. I still can run Reaper, Live lite and Cubase Elements 6 but I don't use it for anything specifically. It is just there for 'family' and 'printing/scanning' needs.

cyphersuit wrote:Sonar is a crashfest but studio one has been rock solid for me on pc.
Rock solid and I've crashed them all with the exception of S1v2.
D Scarlatti, Dell XPS8700 i7/8gb mem/1tb hd/Steiny UR22/Presonus ER5s/Nektar LX61 kbd ctrlr/Win 10 Pro/S1 4.6/ my music here: https://www.magix.info/us/profile/my-profile/media/

Skorpius wrote:
Hink wrote:I cant remember my last crash with Samplitude, like has been said nothing is perfect and there are so many considerations with all the variations. However I can say that it seems to me that most crashes are hardware related and of course there are sometimes issues with 3rd party pluggins but tbh I now only run a handful of 3rd party pluggins because Samplitude Pro-X Suite has imo some of the best pluggins there are.
Sorry if my post was a little misleading. I didn't mean to say that Samplitude ProX crashes regularly, but Cubase (I had 5 and 6.5) most certainly did. However, Samplitude is more sensitive to plug-in or system issues than Studio One. Which is why it stops working (it doesn't actually cause a crash) more often than Studio One.

Apart from that, Samplitude is an excellent DAW with unrivaled audio editing features and an impressive set of Midi functions (way beyond those of Cubase).

So, my current DAW system contains both Studio One and Samplitude ProX. They both complement each other perfectly.

There's one thing, however, where Studio One is king - due to its ease-of-use and the childishly simple workflow: It has brought back the want to be creative and the fun in simply making music. Which is what it's all about. :phones:
not to worry, tbh it was only coincidence because I just did a quick reply the page before so I didn't even see your post until after mine posted...but I appreciate the response none the less :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Samplitude ProX in Win8.
(new i7 8-core). Soniccore Scope Pro DSP card.
40+ tracks.
Stress test project includes Multiple instances of Kontakt. Two instances of Omnisphere. Superior2 - all multi-tracking.
Numerous Magix Veriverbs and Ammunition mastering plug-in.
Multiple Soniccore Scope DSP synths / Modular IV (running in parallel)
Running steadily and rock-solid since August!

This is my first newly built system in over 5 years.
My last (custom-built) system lasted another 5+ years.

I recommend ONLY custom-built / optimized systems. Nothing 'off-the-shelf'

My studio time is literally worth money, so this approach has worked best for me over the years.

G
Don't ask me, I just play here.

whunt_29708 wrote:Hi,
I saw your post and figured this may be a good place to start. I've been frustrated too with the crashes lately. I'm running Win XP and ProTools 7.3LE on an ASUS motherboard, AMD cpu, and 4 gb RAM. I'm trying to run a couple of plugins (Addictive Drums & Keys) and Reason 4) and can't even get through laying down the tracks for one song before I start getting crashes and it stops recording. I get the dreaded 9093 DAE errors so I turn everything off and shut down for the night. I appreciate any suggestions anyone may have. Thank you.

Wes
While saving up, in linux, you can do a Hydrogen drum machine, a few keyboard synth sounds with Zynaddsubfx/Hexter, Pianotech for real piano, and multi-fx from Rakarrack, with 2 gig ram. Lots of ready-to-run live dvd to boot from, no need to install.
avlinux
artistX
Tango Studio
kxstudio
Studio 1337 (commercial usbstick with RT-kernel, wineasio for vsts)
Cheers

Skorpius wrote:You have a simple requirement, and there's a DAW that will fullfil this requirement: Studio One

It hasn't even crashed once on my Win7/x64 system. If anything causes S1 to stop working, it's my interface driver, or a wrong setting within Windows. But then you can still close S1 normally.

So, after having used Cubase and Samplitude ProX, my recommendation is absolutely clear: Switch to Studio One.
Sorry for the hi-jack, but since applying the Studio One 2.6.2 patch, I have noticed that on two occasions, due to a flaky VST (Novation Bass Station), Studio One stopped working altogether and the actual process thread 'zombied' i.e. could not be killed from Task Manager in Windows (8 x64) even after I had closed down S1.

Only a reboot actually stopped the headless process :dog:
I never had that happen until the 2.6.2 patch. If it happens in other scenarios, I will be raising a support ticket with Presonus.
tapper mike wrote:AMD's like to run hot and make mistakes because of a floating point error. Then it tries to go back and fix the mistakes it makes. This becomes a very precarious situation in recording applications in and of itself.
Erm, facts please :?

Anyway, back to the topic :ud:

RockinLily wrote:
tapper mike wrote:AMD's like to run hot and make mistakes because of a floating point error. Then it tries to go back and fix the mistakes it makes. This becomes a very precarious situation in recording applications in and of itself.

Sorry you don't get to play that game. Either you wish for me to supply evidence supporting my assertion or you don't.

Scroll down to dividedbyzero's post which is about the most layperson a representation of the facts
http://www.techspot.com/community/topic ... el.190463/

See what CPU world says in a side by side comparision of my current processor in my desktop as compared to an i5
http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/331/AM ... 3570K.html

You might also find interest in this story about amd's processors interesting
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2011/10/ ... ing-debut/
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

I've heard more bad stories about 2.6.2 than any other update for S1. Not touching it with a 10 ft pole.

spaceman wrote:
AstralExistence wrote:
spaceman wrote:
AstralExistence wrote: From page 1:
AstralExistence wrote:well, cubase doesn't 'crash' on me and neither does reaper, neither does fl studio, or mulab. cubase suffers from the asio overload bug, reaper is big interface mess, fl studio is loop based, and mulab has no tool icons. sonar x3 crashes though and live 9 once or twice. i kinda lumped my dislike for certain daws with crashing but thats not the case. the only real crash culprit is x3 basic which i paid 50 usd for.
Do we have to conclude from this that X3 was the only one you actually paid for?
do not ever insinuate that i use cracked software. i do not. your're actually dumber then i thought if you think that as cubase7 isn't even cracked.
I'm sorry, I don't share your knowledge on cracked software.
I didn't know.

but you know how to instigate where its not needed.

siriusbliss wrote:Samplitude ProX in Win8.
(new i7 8-core). Soniccore Scope Pro DSP card.
40+ tracks.
Stress test project includes Multiple instances of Kontakt. Two instances of Omnisphere. Superior2 - all multi-tracking.
Numerous Magix Veriverbs and Ammunition mastering plug-in.
Multiple Soniccore Scope DSP synths / Modular IV (running in parallel)
Running steadily and rock-solid since August!

This is my first newly built system in over 5 years.
My last (custom-built) system lasted another 5+ years.

I recommend ONLY custom-built / optimized systems. Nothing 'off-the-shelf'

My studio time is literally worth money, so this approach has worked best for me over the years.

G
What are you using for I/O with the Scope? And what drive/software version are you using? I'm curious because I have a Scope installed that is just gaining dust inside the computer. I have a dual boot system with Windows XP and Windows 7 64. The drivers were crashing like hell, So I stoped using it. My Scope was from Creamware, if that makes a difference.
Fernando (FMR)

AstralExistence wrote:
spaceman wrote:
AstralExistence wrote:
spaceman wrote:
AstralExistence wrote: From page 1:
AstralExistence wrote:well, cubase doesn't 'crash' on me and neither does reaper, neither does fl studio, or mulab. cubase suffers from the asio overload bug, reaper is big interface mess, fl studio is loop based, and mulab has no tool icons. sonar x3 crashes though and live 9 once or twice. i kinda lumped my dislike for certain daws with crashing but thats not the case. the only real crash culprit is x3 basic which i paid 50 usd for.
Do we have to conclude from this that X3 was the only one you actually paid for?
do not ever insinuate that i use cracked software. i do not. your're actually dumber then i thought if you think that as cubase7 isn't even cracked.
I'm sorry, I don't share your knowledge on cracked software.
I didn't know.
but you know how to instigate where its not needed.
I apologise.
It was an unnecessary sarcastic remark.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

spaceman wrote: I apologise.
It was an unnecessary sarcastic remark.
cheers. no worries.

tapper mike wrote:
RockinLily wrote:

Sorry you don't get to play that game. Either you wish for me to supply evidence supporting my assertion or you don't.

Scroll down to dividedbyzero's post which is about the most layperson a representation of the facts
http://www.techspot.com/community/topic ... el.190463/

See what CPU world says in a side by side comparision of my current processor in my desktop as compared to an i5
http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/331/AM ... 3570K.html

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2011/10/ ... ing-debut/
I really couldn't find anything related to the 'faulty' AMD behaviour in the links you posted.
Most of the talking is about its performance and how AMD is behind Intel (which is true) especially in high end processors and how intel is superior in single threaded ...etc. Which I already know.

Are you implementing that AMD processors are causing 'errors' in Audio Recording applications and then trying to correct these errors so that they are slower than intel? or what exactly?

Sony and Microsoft have chosen AMD for their consoles. So, do you believe they have ignored those issues and made a mistake?

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
tapper mike wrote: Sorry you don't get to play that game. Either you wish for me to supply evidence supporting my assertion or you don't.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topic ... el.190463/ (http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/amd-or-intel.190463/)

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/331/AM ... 3570K.html (http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/331/AMD_Phenom_II_X4_920_vs_Intel_Core_i5_i5-3570K.html)

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2011/10/ ... ing-debut/ (http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2011/10/can-amd-survive-bulldozers-disappointing-debut/)
No 'game' intended tapper mike, yes I did ask you to qualify your generalisation.

My "Back to the topic" was intended in the context of my hijack regrading Studio One. Apologies if it came across in the context of your comment 8)

Thanks for the links, however dividebyzero's comment refers specifically to the AMD Piledriver and Bulldozer chips rather than all AMD chips per se, as does the last link you posted.
Intel have made some pretty poor CPUs themselves too; especially at the cheaper end. The Intel Celeron was appalling.

Yes it is true that in general some Intel chips can out-perform similar spec AMD CPUs for some things, but on the flip side, some AMD chips will out-perform similar spec Intel chips for others.

Two things I have learned from working in a technical role in IT for 15 years:

1. It depends - generalisations do not fit every scenario

2. Very few people will use proper problem analysis techniques to find root causes and will either apply dogma (such as your statement regarding Intel vs AMD CPUs) or will swap things out at random in the hope of fixing the undefined problem.
This type of 'expert advice' abounds in various internet forums -
anonymous poster on another forum wrote:Did you do a fresh install on your system before blaming software? reformat your hard drive and put just the software and drivers on it that are giving you problems... then see if you still have the problem.

NO i am not kidding mate... a fresh install of only OS and the software is the only true way to isolate....
:o rather like demolishing one's house and having it rebuilt just because a fuse in the kitchen blew :!:

I could not see anywhere in the links you provided any evidence that "AMDs like to run hot". Am I missing something :?:

My experience with an AMD Athlon CPU is that it runs around a constant 40 degrees Centigrade.
Again, it depends on what approach one has taken with regard to CPU cooling. On of the best optimisations I made to my audio computer was replacing the stock CPU fan with a very efficient and very quiet Artic fan.

Fact: any CPU will run hot if it has been over-clocked, whether Intel or AMD.
A lot of the Intel vs AMD arguments emanate from gamers who are notorious for over-clocking their CPUs.

You really would not wish to over-clock the CPU in a DAW computer, in my opinion.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”