im so sick and tired of daw crashes. ie the most stable daw?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hi guys. i own cubase7 artist, sonar x3 basic, reaper, mulab, and fl studio producer. what i want is a multi-track sequencer, and i want it not to crash! im so sick of crashes i cant even begin to tell you. i switched from cubase artist7 to sonarx3, and now i have two multi-track sequencers that i paid my hard earned money for along with the very user unfriendly reaper. reaper is such a broken half completed mess. the developer just keeps adding more code with out working on what really matters, the interface.

so what i want to know is, what do people find is the most rock solid daw. at this point, i don't give a crap about hot pretty it is, i used to a lot. now i just don't care. what i want is something thats stable, and has a great reputation as being stable. and also affordable. can you please help me.

but i need to say, in case people missed it, cubase artist 7 doesn't crash on me, neither does flstudio, neither does reaper, nor does mutools. i cant even remember the last time any of those four crashed. in terms of actual crashes, that would be sonarx3 which crashed many times, and the ableton demo crashed but that was only because i accidentally downloaded the x32 demo and tried to scan x64 plugins. but, cubase on my pc has asio overload issues, reaper, i don't like the interface, fl studio is not multi-track but loop based, and mutools has no er tool icons. sorry for the confusion. its was more a daw suggestion thread rather then a 'every daw i use crashes' thread.
Last edited by AstralExistence on Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Win XP and Cubase 4.5 or Live 8
Can't even recall the last crash.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Sonar is a crashfest but studio one has been rock solid for me on pc.
Finally!

cyphersuit wrote:Sonar is a crashfest but studio one has been rock solid for me on pc.

i shall consider studio one. what else guys?
Last edited by AstralExistence on Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AstralExistence wrote:hi guys. i own cubase7 artist, sonar x3 basic, reaper, mulab, and fl studio producer. what i want is a multi-track sequencer, and i want it not to crash! im so sick of crashes i cant even begin to tell you. i switched from cubase artist7 to sonarx3, and now i have two multi-track sequencers that i paid my hard earned money for along with the very user unfriendly reaper. reaper is such a broken half completed mess. the developer just keeps adding more code with out working on what really matters, the interface.

so what i want to know is, what do people find is the most rock solid daw. at this point, i don't give a crap about hot pretty it is, i used to a lot. now i just don't care. what i want is something thats stable, and has a great reputation as being stable. and also affordable. can you please help me.
Although I 100% agree with you about the interface in Reaper?
It is the most stable DAW.
Most likely you've got hardware issues of some description, and you're blaming them on the software -
I would try:
getting a professional to replace your ram (too easy for non-profs to ESD the ram and cause long-term undetectable instability)
upgrading your power supply to a decent brand and at least 500w
or just get another computer

Maybe it's your system which is crash prone. :shrug: I tried Cubase 6 Elements, Reaper, Sonar X3, Propellerhead Reason, Ableton Live Lite. None of those crashed on me more than once or twice. (gotta admit though that Sonar X3 crashed at least twice on me in the short time i tried it out, maybe 3 or 4 hours, and the plugin manager thing crashed too) Most sequencers are rock stable. If they aren't for you, maybe you have to check what's wrong with your system.

Btw, you should really trial something that expensive before buying it, to see if it's stable for you or not.

metamorphosis wrote: Most likely you've got hardware issues of some description, and you're blaming them on the software -
no i don't man. the software developers have bug issues. i guess everybody has hardware issues then.

100% stability is impossible with applications that have to run such a huge variety of foreign code.

Load the wrong plugin, the plugin does something unexpected, host gets confused and cannot cope, bam, plugin takes down host.

Who is to blame? Who is to say. Point is theres nothing one can do.

IMO its a wonder it all works as well as it does.

chk071 wrote:Maybe it's your system which is crash prone. :shrug: I tried Cubase 6 Elements, Reaper, Sonar X3, Propellerhead Reason, Ableton Live Lite. None of those crashed on me more than once or twice. (gotta admit though that Sonar X3 crashed at least twice on me in the short time i tried it out, maybe 3 or 4 hours, and the plugin manager thing crashed too) Most sequencers are rock stable. If they aren't for you, maybe you have to check what's wrong with your system.

Btw, you should really trial something that expensive before buying it, to see if it's stable for you or not.
well, cubase doesn't 'crash' on me and neither does reaper, neither does fl studio, or mulab. cubase suffers from the asio overload bug, reaper is big interface mess, fl studio is loop based, and mulab has no tool icons. sonar x3 crashes though and live 9 once or twice. i kinda lumped my dislike for certain daws with crashing but thats not the case. the only real crash culprit is x3 basic which i paid 50 usd for.
Last edited by AstralExistence on Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reaper is definitely the most stable. Reason too, but Reason doesn't have VST :D

cubase would be my host of choice if it didn't keep getting that bullshit red light asio overload.

Reaper and Podium are both super stable if you don't rely on buggy plugins. Never had a crash with Reason either
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

you know, rather then make complaints, what i want is a daw with decent stability, pre-configured tool icons, and multi-track based.

do_androids_dream wrote:Reaper and Podium are both super stable if you don't rely on buggy plugins. Never had a crash with Reason either
i thought about podium, but i heard that the developer pretty much stopped working on it. which as far as i know, is true.

The problems that I have with REAPER are in most cases related to my sound driver and some unstable plugins. Otherwise it's an extremely stable DAW! :D

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”