Looking for a DAW with 'non-linear' workflow

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I haven't used many DAW's until now. (Computer)Muzys in the past and now only a bit of Mulab and i 'skimmed' a tiny bit of Reaper.

My question is two-fold:

I want to work with looped melodic sequences in various tracks of different lenghts that must be looped independently and triggered 'on the fly'. Thus a DAW/sequencer with only a linear timeline is not really suited for this workflow.

Ideal would be e.g.:

Track 1 - seq. 3 bars (set to loop)
Track 2 - seq. 5 bars (set to loop)
Track 3 - record improv of undetermined lenght

Linear DAW's can do this, but one has either to cut-and-past all sequences or 'draw' them out but this doesn't cater for the improv. of undetermined lenght!

Therefore my question is: which DAW (pref. free- or budgetware) has a 'non-linear' workflow?

And secondly; which DAW (linear or otherwise) has the possibility to record in loop mode a sequence of undetermined length as a whole? (e.g. loop-time is 30 sec., recorded sequence is 3 minutes. Just a rough example).

In older days I knew that Muzys had that functionality, but alas Mulab doesn't seem to do this. . :(

I hope someone can help me and i await your suggestions. . . :)

S.

About part 1 of your question: MuLab can do that! Each sequence can have its own sequence loop, so you can even create experimental polyrhythmic grooves & melodies!

About part 2 of your question: In Muzys we indeed had the Play Room where you could trigger the various compositions (aka arrangements) just like patterns on a drumbox and all was recordable into a new fully editable composition.

That functionality will be reincarnated into MuLab be it in a totally new and better way. Already working on the plans of it.

NM
Last edited by EnGee on Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mutools wrote:
That functionality will be reincarnated into MuLab be it in a totally new and better way. Already working on the plans of it.
This is cool :tu: I will keep my eye on MuLab :-)

Slarti wrote:I haven't used many DAW's until now. (Computer)Muzys in the past and now only a bit of Mulab and i 'skimmed' a tiny bit of Reaper.

My question is two-fold
Origami :)
Sorry couldnt help it.....
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

Hi Jo, thanks for your reply! . :)
mutools wrote: About part 1 of your question: MuLab can do that! Each sequence can have its own sequence loop, so you can even create experimental polyrhythmic grooves & melodies!
Yes it is possible but you have to draw out the looped parts over the timeline, which does not cater for recordings of undetermined lenghts.

mutools wrote: About part 2 of your question: In Muzys we indeed had the Play Room where you could trigger the various compositions (aka arrangements) just like patterns on a drumbox and all was recordable into a new fully editable composition.
No, I meant the functionality in Muzys that you could record in loop mode and the recording could be extended for the full recording time (e.g. loop 30 secs, recorded sequence 2 mins).

You had the choice of keeping the looped recording, or make new parts on new tracks of it or keep the recording in one extended (e.g. 2 min.) part!

That function is not in Mulab anymore afaik.

bibz1st wrote:
Slarti wrote:I haven't used many DAW's until now. (Computer)Muzys in the past and now only a bit of Mulab and i 'skimmed' a tiny bit of Reaper.

My question is two-fold
Origami :)
Sorry couldnt help it.....

:lol: :lol: :hihi: :hihi:

That is Live (and Bitwig I guess)

I'm sure you can do that in Live as you can 'unroll' a loop recording.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

spaceman wrote:#1
That is Live (and Bitwig I guess)
You're probably right. Sadly I do not consider Live budgetware. (Maybe Live Essentials?) I'm just a hobbyist on social benefits . :(

Maybe Bitwig indeed now that it has finally (almost) materialized (and I heard there will be a 'free' version)
spaceman wrote:#2
I'm sure you can do that in Live as you can 'unroll' a loop recording.
That's what I meant! . :)

Sounds like you want Live ... maybe Intro or LE version if you're on a budget. They come up regularly in the marketplace at $20 - $50 ...

thecontrolcentre wrote:Sounds like you want Live ... maybe Intro or LE version if you're on a budget. They come up regularly in the marketplace at $20 - $50 ...
How does that work? Purchasing via the marketplace?

Its a while ago, but i think Orion pretty much worked like that.

Rather than a traditional timeline arrangment you have a 'sequences arranger' (or pattern sequencer) where you chain together blocks of sequences/patterns. With loop enabled you should able to record live audio of any length while the sequences just keep looping.

Trial Version: Here

Slarti wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:Sounds like you want Live ... maybe Intro or LE version if you're on a budget. They come up regularly in the marketplace at $20 - $50 ...
Just look out for a copy for sale on the market place forum here, and if you find one, arrange a sale with the seller and pay via Paypal. As with any online sale, check credentials first if possible (there's a feedback thread for instance), don't buy from people with zero or very few posts who never seem to have interacted on KvR with any meaning, etc.

Live can be download only, so just a license transfer will be needed.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

Slarti wrote:
It's a private deal between you and the seller. Usually payment by PayPal.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 3&t=395823

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 3&t=403022
Last edited by thecontrolcentre on Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ENV1 wrote:Its a while ago, but i think Orion pretty much worked like that.

Rather than a traditional timeline arrangment you have a 'sequences arranger' (or pattern sequencer) where you chain together blocks of sequences/patterns. With loop enabled you should able to record live audio of any length while the sequences just keep looping.

Trial Version: Here
Pretty pricey also! :(

What you're describing is what i'm after!

(Once in a sale i picked up Cakewalk Project5 which also seems to work that way. Only i'm told it doesn't work with Windows 7 (32) . :( )

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”