Reaper 5.. any gossip at all?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Reaper is pretty great already but it can be better.
There's a huge silence from the Cockos guys.

Is it simply because v5 is a long way off?
Or are they're doing an Apple?
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

There's always silence from Cockos guys regarding major version updates.

Yep, they don't say anything until v5.00alpha1 pops up in the prerelease section of the forum. If you're there when that happens it can be interesting and you'll be able to give feedback that they will listen, even if they don't incorporate all of it.

v4.60rc2 - February 14 2014

You calling this huge silence?

toothnclaw wrote:v4.60rc2 - February 14 2014

You calling this huge silence?
I'm not sure how good your maths is,
so I'll line things up a bit to make it clear

4.60 != 5

ARA integration would be a nice feature in v5. ya... ya.. I have read the threads in Reaper forum but things can change.. right?
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

:borg:
Last edited by ontol on Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yeah, I don't think Reaper warrants an obsession with whole number increments seeing how there seems to be some update every month or so.

A more logical question would be "when is this large unimplemented feature going to be added to Reaper?".

I think like all other daws, though, the biggest changes tend to come with the whole number updates. For example 4:
Changes:
Dockers and toolbars: Multiple dockers, freely dockable in main window or floatable (up to 16 separate dockers/toolbars)
Dockers and toolbars: Drag tabs from a docker to rearrange tabs, create a new docker in another location, or float windows
Dockers and toolbars: Create, customize, and freely dock or float toolbars for different uses
Envelope editing: Support for copying envelope points with the mouse
Envelope editing: Groups of selected points act like contiguous items when moving or copying
Envelope editing: Shift+control+drag on envelope segment (customizable) edits the envelope level within the time selection
Media Explorer: Select a portion of a media file to insert into a project
Media Explorer: Optionally loop and/or stretch the selected portion to fit the destination area and tempo
Media Explorer: Scroll and zoom the media peaks preview
Media Explorer: Control+alt drag the time selection to render a new cropped file to REAPER, the desktop, or a folder
Media Explorer: Control+alt drag the time selection to sampler plugins or other applications that support drag/drop
Media Item Properties: Item/Take Properties dialog stays open while you work elsewhere, follows changes in selected items
Media Item Properties: Pitch adjust and playrate fields accept values (such as "1.004") or simple operations (such as "x2")
MIDI editing: Set user-definable scales and chords in the MIDI editor for drawing and editing notes
MIDI editing: Using mouse modifiers, copy/duplicate/paste actions can create pooled (ghosted) in-project MIDI source data
MIDI editing: Editing any pooled MIDI media item affects all media items that share the same pooled data
MIDI editing: Un-pool shared MIDI by gluing the media item or via MIDI source properties dialog
MIDI editing: New MIDI Contents menu for switching MIDI editor between different MIDI media items in the project
MIDI editing: MIDI filter improvements when displaying multiple media items in the same editor
MIDI editing: Many new mouse modifier behaviors to paint notes and chords, edit arpeggios, etc
Mouse modifier customization: Customize mouse behavior when using keyboard modifiers in 40 different contexts
Mouse modifier customization: In many contexts, mouse click and mouse drag can be customized separately
Mouse modifier customization: Assign different behaviors to the mouse when over the top or bottom half of a media item
Mouse modifier customization: Assign any action (including custom actions) to mouse click or double-click in most contexts
Mouse modifier customization: Existing/legacy mouse preferences are preserved, but user changes to mousemap settings will override
Mouse modifier customization: Actions to reassign default mouse action for any context
Multichannel support: Allow choosing greater than 2 channels of sequential inputs, monitoring inputs
Multichannel support: Multichannel track meters
Multichannel support: Freely route any number of track channels to other tracks, hardware outputs
Pitch shift envelopes: Each take has its own pitch shift envelope, including customized range and snap settings
Project Bay: Manage, preview, search, replace project source media, media items, and FX
Project Bay: Manage media item groups and take comps for the project
Project Bay: Save/load project bay contents to create working sets of source media/FX for different purposes
Project Bay: Store sets of edited media items (including fades, stretch, pitch shift, etc) to use in any project
Project Bay: Media and FX+preset combinations can be stored, inserted, and switched in the project
ReaSurround: Multi-channel surround panner with support for any number of input channels and speakers
ReaSurround: Freely position input sources and speakers in 3D space
ReaSurround: Configurable per-channel diffusion (treat input source audio as a shaped area rather than a point)
ReaSurround: Drag track IO button to ReaSurround to add new input sources
Render and batch-convert: Support for rendering project tracks and time regions to separate folders and files
Render and batch-convert: Customizable wildcards provide great flexibility in naming batches of rendered/converted files
Render and batch-convert: Save render presets for workflow efficiency
Take lanes and comping: Take lanes remain aligned by recording pass, creating empty lanes as needed (optional)
Take lanes and comping: Each recording pass gets its own take lane, even when recording overlaps existing items
Take lanes and comping: Recording no longer splits existing media items into different numbers of take lanes
Take lanes and comping: Save/load named comps (sets of takes from multiple media items)
Take lanes and comping: A/B or cycle through saved comps to audition/compare
Theme layout support: Fully themeable UI, allowing repositioning/removal/addition of UI elements
Theme layout support: Per-track TCP/MCP layout support
Theme layout support: Screensets support saving/restoring layouts
Theme layout support: Old themes use default layouts available in Plugins/default_layouts.txt
Theme layout support: New themes can define their own layouts
Theme layout support: Layouts can be switched via menu, screensets/layouts dialog, or customizable actions
Time selection: Default copy/cut/glue actions respect time selection if there is one (including leading/trailing space)
Time selection: Using mouse modifiers, copy/move behaviors can respect time selection if there is one
Time selection: Editing behavior can be customized separately for media items, envelope points, MIDI editing
Track input FX chains: FX in the input FX chain only run when record armed, and only affect the signal coming in
Track input FX chains: use MIDI or audio input, and can be set to output MIDI or audio independent of the input format
Track pan improvements: Track stereo width controls and envelopes
Track pan improvements: Configurable track pan modes: balance, stereo pan (L/R + width), dual pan, and classic (3.x) balance
Transient detection and dynamic split: separate threshold and sensitivity settings, and other options
Video: performance improvements, support for sequencing still images
Volume faders: new default hardware-emulation fader taper

So are you hearing any information on:
ProTools 12
Cubase10 or
Logic XV?

No different...

I imagine people regularly hear MUCH more about Reaper development, than any of those, due to the not-so-secret beta testing forum on the Reaper site. Which is refreshing.

What are the big egregious things it's still missing anyway, plugin delay compensation or something? Improved automation?

knowix wrote:I imagine people regularly hear MUCH more about Reaper development, than any of those, due to the not-so-secret beta testing forum on the Reaper site. Which is refreshing.

What are the big egregious things it's still missing anyway, plugin delay compensation or something? Improved automation?
Automation would come to mind, yes.
Maybe some more work on the plugin set.

i think reaper's got the best easiest to use automation
and never had any PDC problems

All I need is MIDI feedback for 'learned' parameters!!!
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=4388

Reaper's automation is already pretty good, it even supports bezier curves. And with Reaper's parameter modulation you can even modulate the modulators...

Although I must say I've rarely used parameter modulation because it only offers a few standard LFO waveforms. If waveforms could be drawn free or imported, it would substitute all LFO tools...

So an improved parameter modulation with more features is one of my wishes for Reaper 5...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”