Reaper 5.. any gossip at all?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

the interface still needs a bit of work eg the Add Path for VST's is a tiny window that prevents seeing all paths if there are more than one or two, can't add markers from within the midi editor window, scaling of item volume envelope is poor. That's just off the top of my head but there are many inconsistencies that need to be resolved

A more consistently working ReaRoute would be nice...

woggle wrote:can't add markers from within the midi editor window
You can. Let's say you have Shift+M bound to create a marker at edit cursor in the arrange view. In MIDI editor Action list, bind Shift+M to "Misc: Pass through key to main window", and now suddenly you can create markers from within ME as well.

Reaper - "there's a workaround for that"

EvilDragon wrote:
woggle wrote:can't add markers from within the midi editor window
You can. Let's say you have Shift+M bound to create a marker at edit cursor in the arrange view. In MIDI editor Action list, bind Shift+M to "Misc: Pass through key to main window", and now suddenly you can create markers from within ME as well.
thanks- I am not surprised "there's a workaround" although I'm surprised there needs to be. Any idea why this is needed, why it wouldn't be consistent or at least the default?

Better ask Cockos that. In any case, the pass-through action is extremely useful and can/should be used for other main view actions, like inserting tempo/timesig changes, etc.

Actually, I think the reason for this is because the MIDI editor itself is an extension, so it's probably easier (programming-wise) to pass-through the key command to the main view, rather to re-code it from scratch so it works within the MIDI editor.

EvilDragon wrote:Actually, I think the reason for this is because the MIDI editor itself is an extension, so it's probably easier (programming-wise) to pass-through the key command to the main view, rather to re-code it from scratch so it works within the MIDI editor.
It's this kind of thing that's really hurting reaper. Midi editor is tacked on (but admittedly with many features now), theming is tacked on, media explorer is tacked on. They need to start making things mesh. I used to think Reaper was on track to be more and more usable, but I don't any more.

Ogopogo wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:Actually, I think the reason for this is because the MIDI editor itself is an extension, so it's probably easier (programming-wise) to pass-through the key command to the main view, rather to re-code it from scratch so it works within the MIDI editor.
It's this kind of thing that's really hurting reaper. Midi editor is tacked on (but admittedly with many features now), theming is tacked on, media explorer is tacked on. They need to start making things mesh. I used to think Reaper was on track to be more and more usable, but I don't any more.
Yes, this is my view as well - it is really the development history and maybe even the methodology that gives rise to the issues with user experience.

Reaper started as a small and very neat multitrack editor that has grown well beyond the scope of the initial design. Amazing value for money, but growth by bolting on functionality has its limits

I don't get the need for "pass through" either. You'd think actions like that would mostly apply to whatever has the current focus, if a single action's result can apply to multiple different windows. Like a "Select All" action might select all clips if arrange has the focus and select all notes if the key editor has the focus.

Not sure why you'd have to specifically tell it to work on the active window.

But otoh, all of that stuff (the coding and lower level approach) is far over my head.

My money is on V4.73 for having all the new cool stuff! :wink:

LawrenceF wrote:I don't get the need for "pass through" either. You'd think actions like that would mostly apply to whatever has the current focus, if a single action's result can apply to multiple different windows.
The other side of the coin is that the current system vastly increases the amount of available keyboard shortcuts as one can assign different actions to the same shortcuts in main window and MIDI editor (if one wishes so) .

No_Use wrote:
LawrenceF wrote:I don't get the need for "pass through" either. You'd think actions like that would mostly apply to whatever has the current focus, if a single action's result can apply to multiple different windows.
The other side of the coin is that the current system vastly increases the amount of available keyboard shortcuts as one can assign different actions to the same shortcuts in main window and MIDI editor (if one wishes so) .
increasing complexity and memory load are pretty much universally seen as problems in
interface design

woggle wrote:
No_Use wrote:
increasing complexity and memory load are pretty much universally seen as problems in interface design
Sorry, I don't get your point to be honest.
I'll try to give an example:

Say I'm a Reaper user that never needs to add a marker with a shortcut from the MIDI editor.
I can use the shortcut that's assigned to it in the main window for something else in the MIDI editor.
If it would be "hardwired" like LawrenceF suggests, this key combination would be "wasted" for me in the MIDI editor.
On the other hand, users who want that shortcut also in MIDI editor just assign a "pass through to main window" to it.
That's actually best of flexibility (not complexity) to me.

No_Use wrote:
woggle wrote:
No_Use wrote:
increasing complexity and memory load are pretty much universally seen as problems in
interface design
Sorry, I don't get your point to be honest.
I'll try to give an example:

Say I'm a Reaper user that never needs to add a marker with a shortcut from the MIDI editor.
I can use the shortcut that's assigned to it in the main window for something else in the MIDI editor.
If it would be "hardwired" like LawrenceF suggests, this key combination would be "wasted" for me in the MIDI editor.
On the other hand, users who want that shortcut also in MIDI editor just assign a "pass throughtomain window" to it.
That's actually best of flexibility (not complexity) to me.
requiring people to learn multiple keystrokes for the same underlying functionality has increased the memory requirements unnecessarily-that is poor interface design

Your point about keystroke flexibility is not really supported. For your point to have impact the person needs to have run out of keystroke assignments -which again would be an indication of terrible interface design.

In addition, taking your point about flexibility to it's logical extension, a linux box is all you need, just write your own DAW

No_Use wrote:The other side of the coin is that the current system vastly increases the amount of available keyboard shortcuts as one can assign different actions to the same shortcuts in main window and MIDI editor (if one wishes so) .
It pains me a little to see my comment quoted multiple times over and over in this little debate you two guys have going. :hihi: Anyway...

I think what he's saying is that most people probably use it because they - have to - not to extend the available keyboard shortcuts. Of course, I don't know that for certain but most people who I see ask about it ask because the action isn't working and they don't know they have to use "pass through" to make it work. Not because they ran out of shortcuts.

But there's obviously nothing wrong with a "glass half full" view of all that either. We often do try to find the good in anything. That could certainly be viewed as a positive side of it.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”