DP8 Windows Useless Here!!!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am so freakin' livid right now!!! I've had problems with software before but DP8 for Windows has to be the worst experience I've ever had. I have every DAW under the sun and they work perfectly but this thing is broken in every way imaginable. From CPU usage, loading times, rejecting VST's, strange behavior of VST's, weird splash warnings for no reason, crashing and other nonsense crap!!! I've cooled down, left it alone for a couple of days and came back to it and tried to work this out repeatedly over the last 2 months thinking that maybe it's something they'll fix with an update or I need to optimize my setup, which by the way works perfectly with everything else I have, I just have to realize that this is the worst software ever made for Windows, and should not have been released!!! It is not usable!!! Is anybody else having luck with this garbage? I tried to love MOTU and DP8 but I hate both right now!!!! I wish I could get my goddamned money back and be done with this company!!!

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Hey Orbit-50,
Sorry to hear your having head aches with DP8. I feel your pain, and I hope you get it sorted. Don't jump off the deep end on us.

I notice you have Live 9 in your sig. I'm having the same sort of issues with it that you are having with DP8. I'm surprised to read "it works perfectly" on your system. It sure isn't here! Only thing I'm not getting, from your list, is "weird splash screens for no reason". I just get "CRASH!!!" :hihi:

There are so many different possibilites of why something doesn't work. So, I plan to do some investigations, testing, etc. to try to pin down the crashes. I think it is likely Kontakt not getting along with Live but not sure yet.

Not Kontakt itself but some Sonokinetic librairies. It seems since I bought these I have had the problems with Live.

Perhaps you can consider the same. Creat a new project and work toward getting a repeatable crash. It's a start and maybe will give you some ideas what not to do.

Good luck! Hope it gets sorted for you soon. :tu:

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

I hate to be the one to ask the obvious question but... why didn't you demo it first?

Sorry to heart this. I love DP, use it every day on the Mac.

That said the basics apply no matter what DAW or OS it is. A particular configuration of hardware and VSTs will cripple a DAW until an update. It doesn't help your situation, but DP8 on OSX is completely solid, so it's possible. There are people running the Windows version with solid working set ups so it's possible to attain.

It's probably a particular VST. Love plug ins, but the main culprit in any instability I've experienced with a DAW has been plug ins. If removing all the plug ins and running DP for a day or so still does not stabilize it, then it's on to peripherals, especially ones with MIDI or audio drivers. After that, then all that remains is hardware....

It's probably a particular VST, but even on OS X I've had issues with MIDI hardware (M-Audio MidiSport) that didn't affect Logic or Digital Performer's MIDI Beat Clock, but screwed Ableton Live up big time. Messed not just the Beat Clock up, but most MIDI timing issues as well.

dsan@mail.com wrote:I notice you have Live 9 in your sig. I'm having the same sort of issues with it that you are having with DP8.
OMG!!! That's pretty damn wild. It runs flawlessly for me, no matter what I throw at it. Thank you for your feedback because it's showing me that certain DAW's run differently on different setups even if they all use the same OS. I just don't get why one would run crappy while the rest run perfect.
dsan@mail.com wrote:Only thing I'm not getting, from your list, is "weird splash screens for no reason". I just get "CRASH!!!" :hihi:
:lol: I worded it wrong. I meant warning screen.

Thank you for your words. They actually will help me in trying to work this out.

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

LawrenceF wrote:I hate to be the one to ask the obvious question but... why didn't you demo it first?
I trusted that it would work out like every other DAW worked out for me. The answer is that I was an idiot!

.-.

machinesworking wrote:Sorry to heart this. I love DP, use it every day on the Mac.

That said the basics apply no matter what DAW or OS it is. A particular configuration of hardware and VSTs will cripple a DAW until an update. It doesn't help your situation, but DP8 on OSX is completely solid, so it's possible. There are people running the Windows version with solid working set ups so it's possible to attain.

It's probably a particular VST. Love plug ins, but the main culprit in any instability I've experienced with a DAW has been plug ins. If removing all the plug ins and running DP for a day or so still does not stabilize it, then it's on to peripherals, especially ones with MIDI or audio drivers. After that, then all that remains is hardware....

It's probably a particular VST, but even on OS X I've had issues with MIDI hardware (M-Audio MidiSport) that didn't affect Logic or Digital Performer's MIDI Beat Clock, but screwed Ableton Live up big time. Messed not just the Beat Clock up, but most MIDI timing issues as well.

I said that to myself! DP8 works flawlessly on Mac, Motu is a great company, so what could possibly go wrong! Then I bought it. :dog: I'm just bothered by the fact that I don't have problems like this with any other DAW's I really want to know if anyone is using this with any success on Windows 8. Thanks for the words man! You guys are the voice of reason when I need it.

.-.

Try to define an empty VstPlugIns folder just for it, and run it woth jusy it's own plug-ins, as others have advised. Then just try to add the plug-.ins in small groups (like five each time) and see if the plug-in validator is OK with them.
I have it here running without prblems. BTW - Are you using 32-bit or 64-bit?
Fernando (FMR)

There's a couple guys over at Motunation that swear by the Windows version.
Seriously, the first thing to do is to remove all your VSTs and run DP, if it works fine put half of them back, if it works fine, then you know that the incompatible VST is in the ones you haven't put back yet. This is the way to find the incompatible VST, it's slow, but it works. You will want to reboot each time you do this.
If you see no difference in stability with removing all your VSTs then you know it's either a MIDI or Audio driver, or a hardware configuration issue.

Thank you very much. I'm doing this now. I really love DP8 and want to use it.

.-.

Keep us posted, Orbit-50. There's very little user reaction about DP8 on Windows here, so it would be nice to hear what you find out.

Hey Orbit, i hope it all works out for you.

My question about the demo wasn't a criticism or anything and i don"t personally think you're an idiot at all. I'm often just really curious why people spend money much earlier than they have to, that's all. The "impulse buying" thing can obviously sometimes bite you.

Anyway, good luck with DP8 my friend, i'm sure you'll get it all sorted out with the help of the kind people here.

machinesworking wrote:There's a couple guys over at Motunation that swear by the Windows version.
Seriously, the first thing to do is to remove all your VSTs and run DP, if it works fine put half of them back, if it works fine, then you know that the incompatible VST is in the ones you haven't put back yet. This is the way to find the incompatible VST, it's slow, but it works. You will want to reboot each time you do this.
If you see no difference in stability with removing all your VSTs then you know it's either a MIDI or Audio driver, or a hardware configuration issue.
Thanks for this input machinesworking!

I have always avoided MOTU because of all the bad Windows users reported experiencing. I always thought they had a great products but the results seemed less than stellar on Windows.

Maybe now things have changed and I can reconsider. I feel the GAS already :hihi:

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Oh I forgot to mention, it wasn't the M-Audio driver per say, but the Logitech mouse driver, that was incompatible with the M-Audio MIDI driver. It was one of those bugs that took me forever to find and made me realize not to fully trust Logitech drivers, and I should just get a MOTU MIDI interface.

This is how crazy a bug can be. It seems that Logic and DP poll the interface just once for Beat Clock, and Live apparently continues to poll so it gets MIDI errors only when there's a bad Logitech driver?? Before I sold the MidiSport Logitech updated the river and it worked, but the MOTU MTP/AV I replaced it with worked with the bad driver as well.

Needless to say after all this, what with the MOTU MTP/AV and Logitech getting a stable driver, USB MIDI finally was perfect on my system. It's a good story on how this can be difficult though, because generally OSX is super solid this way with no conflicts between drivers, and who would suspect a mouse driver would screw up Beat Clock in Ableton Live only??

LawrenceF wrote:Hey Orbit, i hope it all works out for you.

My question about the demo wasn't a criticism or anything and i don"t personally think you're an idiot at all. I'm often just really curious why people spend money much earlier than they have to, that's all. The "impulse buying" thing can obviously sometimes bite you.

Anyway, good luck with DP8 my friend, i'm sure you'll get it all sorted out with the help of the kind people here.

No offense taken at all. The first thing that went through my mind was that someone would ask that and that they would be right! :hihi: I'm so frustrated because millions of years ago I used Performer on a Mac. I loved it and knew it like the back of my hand. Ever since I changed to PC I've been looking for a sequencer that I felt as comfortable with, as I was with Performer. I never found it it. I was living in a world that meant nothing to me wandering from DAW to DAW looking for a replacement for Performer.

I was trying so hard to convince myself that Cubase was the end all, end all, of all the land, so I dabbled in becoming a Cubase snob. Yes I did and I'm ashamed of myself for it. I remember going out late at night and hunting down Reaper and FL Studio users and beating them with a Nike athletic sock filled with quarters because they were scum that used cheap inferior software compared to the DAW that I used. Well when the initial high wore off, and the reality of the clumsy workflow hit me, I gave up on Cubase and my intolerance towards other DAW users.

I tried Ableton Live and it was close to feeling like I was back home, but who was I kidding. It's just plain weird. And the arrangement view... need I say more? I will say Live feels the most comfortable though.

I tried Reason and I still think it's cool, but I didn't feel like hitting the "1" key just to bring the playback cursor back every single time with no preference setting for it to happen automatically so Reason was a no go for me just because of that one single stupid ass decision to design a sequencer that way.

So Motu decides to finally make DP8 for Windows and I saw delusions of grandeur and I said to myself "I'm finally back home!" See, performer is not the easiest or the most logically designed DAW but it does lot's of little things that matter to me so I was totally happy for the first time in like forever. And for some reason the MOTU workflow clicked with me. So during my holiday G.A.S. blitz I picked it up. It was a great day! But after trying to get it off the ground, nothing works properly at all. So buying it becomes a bittersweet experience for me. Sort of like a taunt. Thanks to you guys I'll take my time to troubleshoot and try to work this out so... :pray:

.-.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”