DP8 Windows Useless Here!!!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I can't believe it.
Two pages in and no one has mentioned Reaper yet.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

Maybe because posters have been genuinely interested in give some help. The OP, OTOH, just want to take DP down, so, instead of trying to track the problem, doing what was advised, is trying any other DAW it can pit his hands on, as if that would prove anything.

DP is new code - it's the first Windows version ever. Therefore, we can expect some problems, specially regarding more intolerance to more problematic plug-ins, much more if these are older.

So, take those damn things out, relaunch DP, and tell us how it works. Then add them just in small gropus. Or simply sell it, and go over.

BTW - You didn't even mention what kind of hardware you are using: Windows OS version, CPU, RAM, soundcard, or even if you are using 32-bit or 64-bit version of DP.
Last edited by fmr on Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

Orbit-50 wrote:Why would I want to troll MOTU? That doesn't make sense now does it? I'm pissed off because I paid a lot of money for a software that doesn't work. No matter how much effort I put in to this software over the last 2 months I get the same result. Shitty performance. Not one ounce of progress. Same result no matter what I do. As I've stated every other DAW I fired up works perfectly. This tells me that the problem lies within DP8 not within the hidden problem in my configuration that is somehow my fault. It's not. I know how this works. I'm calling a spade a spade. One day they might fix it. It might be that they just released it not too long ago. Who the hell knows. What I do know is that it doesn't work on my "normal" system when in fact it should work. I don't hate MOTU. I hate myself for being a dope and buying it with the expectation that it would work at least half way decent on my system that I have no problems whatsoever with any other DAW's. So sorry if you feel that way machinesworking, I really appreciate the help but I can't fix this software so I give up on trying. I just hope one day they fix whatever it is causing this mess. Thanks again.

.-.
Your system is not normal. I'm on OSX with relatively tiny hardware variations, and even then as I've freaking stated over and over again, there are variations that can affect only a single DAW without affecting other DAWs. You've posted a few times, and in my opinion probably not done a single thing suggested, I know that sounds harsh, but you seem to be so convinced that it's DP and not your particular setup that you seemingly (as far as what you've posted anyway), have not even done the most basic things you can do to solve a problem with a DAW and your system--

1. Remove all VSTs and see if that fixes it, if it does then you know it's a particular VST.

2. Borrow an audio card you're absolutely certain works with the DAW in question. This is easy with DP as it's made by MOTU. Most decent music stores would do this in the hopes of selling you a card eventually.

3. If neither of those works, then on to MIDI and all other hardware drivers for your system, mice etc.

4. After that then it's down to things that makes PCs hard to code for, graphics cards, IRQ conflicts and the like.

At that point you really have exhausted all resources and can blame MOTU for putting out a product too early etc. Until at least doing the first three things on this list, anything you say about the problem lying with DP8 is simply not based on anything like facts.

I can expect reactions such as 'poppycock' (or similar variations),
but the best way to get to the bottom of this is to talk to support.

The MOTU guys, in my experience, although not the quickest to reply, are very helpful and they will do all to get to the bottom of your problem.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

Very odd, indeed. I ran the DP8 demo for 3 weeks on my Lenovo laptop and didn't have a single serious issue (some minor teething pains), Sonar X3 runs pretty well (only 1 crash in the past 2 weeks), Live makes my laptop roll over and play dead, Acid Music Studio is rock solid.. just lame in its MIDI inout capabilities. :shrug:

Every system is different in some way, and being a software developer myself I know how one teeny tiny iffy component can bring the giant down.. urgh.
Bandcamp: https://suitcaseoflizards.bandcamp.com/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4kuy ... Dx4ziLn3ng
Now a Relay Radio DJ! http:/www.relay-radio.com

spaceman wrote:I can't believe it.
but you're always the one to do it! :P

I can sort of understand Orbit's frustration but I do have to agree with machinesworking and some others here; remove the blinders and go through the steps to resolve the problems, or, as some others stated, just forget about the loss and move on.

Life is too short!

I understand Orbit's concerns about not wanting to beta test after having paid a large sum. I felt the same way about Live and beta testing for them with a non working program. I just don't have the time to fix what I paid for. I'd rather go with what I paid for just works.

But then I realize it works on others systems. So it must be something in my system and it is my responsibility to find out what that is. At least to the best of my ability and expertise.

IF, I want it to work and do what I paid for I do have some responsibility to make the attempt.

In the case of DP8, it has already been pointed out that others are having success. In the case of Live, others are having success. In the case of Sonar, others are having success (I'm one of those - sorry hibidy, but you're one up cause Live works for you and not for me :cry:)

So I figure I owe it to myself to figure out what is Lives problem with MY system.

The suggestion in this dissertation Orbit is - go through the motions, IF you really want to use DP8. Keep in mind others are successful so you can be too.

BTW - oddly enough an update was announced today. It would be worth it to me to dl and load and see if any issues are resolved.

HTH

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

spaceman wrote:I can't believe it.
:dog:
The Dissonance wrote:but you're always the one to do it! :P
:hihi:

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

So machinesworking, you are on mac?

BTW, did you see that there is an update for DP8? I have no idea if it addresses anything.

hibidy wrote:BTW, did you see that there is an update for DP8? I have no idea if it addresses anything.

:hihi: See my post two above yours hibidy. :)

Come on....credit where credit due. :hihi:

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

Sorry I missed it, I'll do better next time :hihi:

hibidy wrote:So machinesworking, you are on mac?
Yeah, have been since forever. I've helped people set up and troubleshoot their PC DAWs, and had an old PC set up for fun for a while, but I used Performer in the 80's, DP in the late 90's and Logic right when it went Mac only in 2002 or so.
So only now that I'm back on DP, and using Live would it even have been feasible for me to use a PC. :lol:

I don't have anything against PCs I've always for some reason had a reason to use a Mac though, and at this point the machines I have are so solid I don't think I'm wanting to migrate anywhere.

DP8 is such a great tool now that I'm hoping Orbit-50 takes the time to solve his issues instead of just posting how MOTU released an unfinished product etc. There are plenty of people using the PC version who are pleased as can be. Guess I'm just fed up at the seeming brick wall I run into in Live where after all this fun initial fleshing out of a song is done, it feels like mud getting the finishing touches together, doing serious track automation, and generally getting to song to completion?

Best advice would be to wait until DP is officially supported by Waves for VSTs.

They are officially supported as AU on Mac, so.

I had similar issues running 8.04 6 month ago, and waited through the trial period and no updates.
The 8.04 came in month of may, and that is to large a timespan to october for updates for a daw just released on new platform. Something every week would be more like it, for that situation.

MOTU did not seem interested enough to move you to real support either, you were stuck with sales support.

So DP is abandonware for me.
Do they expect anybody even close to do real work relying on their tool for anything - but playing around.

But if officially supported by Waves, I'll look intp DP 9 possibly. Then they sorted most things out I figure.

lfm wrote:Best advice would be to wait until DP is officially supported by Waves for VSTs.

So DP is abandonware for me.
Do they expect anybody even close to do real work relying on their tool for anything - but playing around.
The amount of drama.... Yes you are right, only people who use Waves plug ins do "real work", everyone else is playing around.

Hear ye! hear ye! I officially declare String Studio and all other non-64 bit AAS plug ins toys, because I choose to work in 64 bit!

I mean I get it, you want your plug ins to work, but the level of hype is always so high here when things don't go right. I literally cannot think of a DAW that gets mentioned on KVR that doesn't get at least 5 posts in a thread condemning that DAW? I'm certain MOTU and Waves both want compatibility, although it's likely Waves wants a fee to work with MOTU on it, which likely could be the reason why it's happening slower than you want. It's again the same thing as the OP here, the blame is squared at one side in an issue without any real proof of fault, when there are two or more parties involved.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”