Is Ableton Live 9.1.1 the most unstable version ever?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Live

Although it gets stuck on scanning VST............. and in windows task manager it says not responding just leave it and go get a drink and by magic it will load. :)

Loads fast after a successful load.

Well, we're not off to a good start here for sure. 20 minutes and counting waiting for Live to just open to start the process of scanning forever to probably just crash like it has been all along :shrug:

Shows in Resource Monitor running 11 threads and eating 261 mb memory but hasn't shown up at all on screen. :x

W7 x64 i5 3770

Rant over - carry on.

Happy Musiking!
dsan

UPDATE: 28 minutes. Unbelievable. Good news is so far; 10 minutes in; hasn't crashed :hihi:

Murphy's Law #2 : If it hasn't happened yet, you haven't given it enough time :hihi:
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Oh, I'd love for it to work for you!
Last edited by hibidy on Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dsan@mail.com wrote:Well, we're not off to a good start here for sure. 20 minutes and counting waiting for Live to just open to start the process of scanning forever to probably just crash like it has been all along :shrug:

Shows in Resource Monitor running 11 threads and eating 261 mb memory but hasn't shown up at all on screen. :x

W7 x64 i5 3770

Rant over - carry on.

Happy Musiking!
dsan

UPDATE: 28 minutes. Unbelievable. Good news is so far; 10 minutes in; hasn't crashed :hihi:

Murphy's Law #2 : If it hasn't happened yet, you haven't given it enough time :hihi:
It's so weird... I downloaded 9.1.2 final and installed... took maybe 40 seconds to launch... just now it launched in about 10 seconds

9.1.2 is a lot more swift than v9.1.1 was for me, This update made me more happy...That doesn't happen very often

Really? Hmmmmmmm. Now I dunno what to do :lol:

Test it by the lot. Change your vst folder to an empty folder. Say you have 50 plugins. Put in 25 of those in the empty folder. If live doesnt crash in a day, move these plugins to the 'safe' folder. Now try again with the next 25. If it crashes in that 25, split it into two till you find the problem plugin(s).

I bought a new Inta Audio computer, with Win 7 SP1 64 bit, about the time Live 9.1 came out. It made sense to put that on the new machine. However, I've been getting random crashes ever since. The whole machine freezes completely, mouse dead and the keyboard totally unresponsive. The only way forward is to power down the PC.

At first I thought it was the new machine, but I have never yet seen a freeze using Reason, Studio One or any other program I've got on there. There seems to be no pattern to it... Live will freeze the system even if I'm out of the room. It could be on five minutes or it could be on for a couple of hours.

I installed Live 9.1.2 on it yesterday and the computer logged me off and shut down when I removed the memory stick. That's the first time it's actually crashed because of something I did.

Anyway, I've been sending in crash reports where I can, so we'll see what they can come up with. Currently I have been thinking about buying a new soundcard (Inta Audio think I should do this, I'm less keen since Studio One appears to work fine), buying a Mac, or biting the bullet and using Studio One as my compostional DAW.

Tony

pdxindy wrote:It's so weird... I downloaded 9.1.2 final and installed... took maybe 40 seconds to launch... just now it launched in about 10 seconds
It is so weird, no doubt. Live is the ONLY program that takes any time to start.

Bitwig, Sonar X2, Studio One - all up and running in one minute or less - typically much less!

Bitwig was actually starting in less than 15 secs until this latest update. Even still it starts in under a minute. I can live with that.

On the plus side, taking 28 minutes to start I can get a nap in :hihi:

Once I can get some time to explore I'm going to do what keyman_sam suggests first. Although, I not sure my VST folder is the issue.

Also going to eliminate some HDD's to see if maybe Live is trying to index those before starting.

I don't have a clue what else could be causing this with Live. One would think I would be having similar problems with the other DAW's but I just don't. Only Live :shrug:

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

Synthbuilder wrote:.......Anyway, I've been sending in crash reports where I can, so we'll see what they can come up with. ......
Tony
I will honestly say I am guilty of not sending crash reports. It's too difficult the way they have it set up to make reports and my DAW computer is not on the internet.

I realize I can send the report to another computer and then dial up my mail server and then attach the report and etc., etc., etc.

Do you see where this is going? Too much trouble to make reports.

And I admit, I should stop being lazy about it and let them know since I really like using Live.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

I haven't sent in a crash report in a long time. They are usually 5mb or more (wtf?) and too large to attach to an email (my email has a 2mb limit for attachments). Gonna install 9.1.2 shortly ... hopefully will boot faster than 9.1.1

hibidy wrote:Oh, I'd for for it to work for you!
Me too! :D (Hard to believe I understood that :lol: )

Although, I did buy BWS to replace it cause of the issues. There's a lot I like about BWS - but it is missing a lot too :ud: It will get there though, I am sure of it.

Thanks hibidy :tu:

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

dsan@mail.com wrote:
hibidy wrote:Oh, I'd for for it to work for you!
Me too! :D (Hard to believe I understood that :lol: )

Although, I did buy BWS to replace it cause of the issues. There's a lot I like about BWS - but it is missing a lot too :ud: It will get there though, I am sure of it.

Thanks hibidy :tu:

Happy Musiking!
dsan
Bitwig is a work in progress... It is probably worth the effort to get Live working better because it will be quite a while before Bitwig is solid and reliable.

Agreed! Definitely worth the effort just because of the program it is and I so enjoy working in Live. :D

Although, for me, BWS is solid and reliable too (to date).

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

:oops: edited.

I do that too much. I don't think I did that last night though. My sleep meds do strange things while waiting for them to kick in, usually best that I don't post after taking them.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”