Is Ableton Live 9.1.1 the most unstable version ever?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Live

I used to have a lot of crashes with Ableton.....turned out my wi-fi driver was causing latency spikes making it crash so it was actually nothing to do with Ableton. Anyway, I unistalled the driver and its been rock solid ever since :tu:

I had 9.1.1 installed on my system (Windows 7 64-bit) for only several hours and while it didn't crash in that time (must note that Live hasn't crashed on me once since 9.0.6), I reverted to 9.1 cause there was quite a noticeable dip in performance. Pops and clicks everywhere in projects that worked just fine in 9.1. And that's what worries me about Live and Ableton as a company.
I've been trying out Studio One for the past couple of weeks and I have to say that while it has its problems and a number of unnecessary annoyances, it clearly is much more efficient than Live. And rather importantly, it works so much better with older bridged VSTs. I stopped using two of my favourite freewares (Ambience and JB Ferox) altogether cause their parameters could not be adjusted in real time without distorting the sound. I thought it was a problem with bridging, but it turned out it was Live's fault. In 64-bit S1 they work just as they used to in 32-bit Live 8.
I might be wrong, as someone who invested quite a bit of time and money into Live I hope I'm wrong, but I fear the reason why Ableton AG seems so focused on/hiding behind Push and Max4Live right now is because it hasn't got the programming talent that could fix and improve on these and many other issues Live has. And if they'll wait for v10 to do anything about performance issues and general usability, especially given the substantial upgrading price for Suite, I will most likely jump the ship. Unless, of course, Presonus really screws things up with v3.

Odd, mine crashes a lot too. Win 7 x64. Almost every session ends with a crash. Ableton stays open in my task menu running in the background as well, and have to wait about 5 min for it to close on the task menu before attempting to re-open. Sending crash reports don't help, and so far I can't tie it to any specific instance. Sometimes it crashes while I'm zooming in/out of a track. Sometimes when I mute a track. Sometimes when I insert an effect (even host effects). (shrug)
I just live with it. Not much I can do about it. 9.1.1 is worse for me than the previous version.

I'm running 9.1.1 32-bit on OSX and I can agree that this is the most unstable version of live i've ever used. Very frequent crashes, about once per 30 min. Seems related to plugin/vst use, but i'm using the same version of plugins as I was in live 9.0.6, witch was truly rock solid.

Have reverted back to 9.0.6 for now.

Well, though I already have said so, it's as stable as can be here. Midi, audio, drag/drop during playing, recording, push, it all works here.

It has varied over the years depending on version. It's always been solid using only the native plugins, but once VSTs are introduced it'll start crashing randomly from time to time. Kontakt in particular tends to put an extra strain on Live's stability.
Last edited by Tronam on Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Live is very solid for me and rarely crashes... and I use almost all 3rd party plugins

Me too.

Live is as solid as Logic X on my machine i.e. pretty much rock-like.

That's me, lucky in love, lucky in DAWs.

I have seen the light in Live 9.1.1

Win 8.1 x64

Never ever had a problem with Live. Been using it since version 4. I hate to hear that people are having problems with it. I feel totally guilty because of my good fortune. I will go and hide now...

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Just got through with a 2 hour session (a handful of projects)

Runs like it always has.

Now, I can go ON AND ON about all the things I'd like to see changed :hihi:

hibidy wrote: Now, I can go ON AND ON about all the things I'd like to see changed :hihi:
:lol:

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Same here, I reverted back to 9.0.6 mainly because 9.1x offers me nothing though.
labfield wrote:I'm running 9.1.1 32-bit on OSX and I can agree that this is the most unstable version of live i've ever used. Very frequent crashes, about once per 30 min. Seems related to plugin/vst use, but i'm using the same version of plugins as I was in live 9.0.6, witch was truly rock solid.

Have reverted back to 9.0.6 for now.

Win 7 x64 rock solid- I think the open beta testing with 5-6 beta versions before even a .1 release us really helping, 9.2 is imminent (9.1.br5 is RC) and some of the more obscure bugs have been squashed...I suspect after 9.2 there will be a free 9.5 release with new features (BitWig inspired?)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”