Is Ableton Live 9.1.1 the most unstable version ever?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Live

crashed once when I had Live 9.04 intro.
Two times since I installed Live 9.1.1 standard (that's about 20 days ago!).

It never crashed while using it. All the crashes are either when I first installed it and scanned the VST plugins, or when I exit Live quickly and then shut down Windows (next day Live tells me that if I want to restore due to a crash ... etc). So, in the end I'm not annoyed really.

Very stable on my 8 core Macs and pcs

I find that the 32bit IKMulitmedia plugins only work properly when I run my DAW in admin mode. Regular mode causes crashes for me in not just Live, but Reaper, too.

win7x64/live 9.1.1x64.

I can't say it never crashes, but it's pretty rare. I use a ton of IK plugs.

So, there is no specific plugins incompatibilities with Live that can be generalized.

btw, how can I read the crash report in order to know the reason?
I tried to read them with a text editor but I couldn't. I also tried to open them with Live itself, but it seems they are just for sending. Maybe I miss something.

no clue. I had one yesterday trying to d/d "supercharger GT" onto a track. But the other 100 times I've tried to use it it's been fine :shrug:

Sent the report anyways, maybe they know something I don't. (I would sure hope so :lol: )

If I find something, I will post it here.

Oh, so you have purchased the supercharger GT hibidy? I almost did when I received their upgrade email, but before clicking 'that' button, I went and count the compressors I have in Live (5) and in Sonar (8)! I saved the money for upgrading Live Standard to Suite instead. Waiting for the next discount to come.

Actually, I think I will use mostly the plugin that comes with Live. I'm investing in learning it well because it really has excellent quality plugins (both effects and synths, well I don't have the synths, but the tutorials by Olav Basoski show how really good they are). I will get rid of most of my synths then and might just keep two or three at most. This way I believe it would be more stable ;-)

The glue (in live) and others are excellent. What I couldn't get past with GT was that if I take an electronic drum track and put an instance on, and add a little saturation, a little (character) and a tad of compression, things just seem to jump at me more. Not a volume thing, a "glue" thing. I tried it in S1 and live and had virtually no problems and decided I wanted to "pretend" that I had the money and got it. NI demos usually last longer but I just knew I wasn't going to change my mind and succumbed.

ymmv.

Other than complete, I'm a lot less saturated than one might believe. I have some lovely stuff. I'm grateful for what I have!

I'm sure that the GT is a quality product. I have used the non-GT and I liked the result, so I'm guessing GT is just better of course.

The Glue in Live is an excellent as well as the default one. I need to learn where to use this and where to use that! I'm trying to depend mostly on the plugins inside Live now, but of course I realise that there is a big list of high quality unique plugins.

Did anyone experience crashes while working with Live's plugins?

Anyway, I'm backing up all the versions that come out just in case I have strange problems with the newer version.

EnGee,

Good call on saving for Live Suite. The included synths and Sampler are excellent and very powerful, especially when layered. I hope you get a chance to watch Myagi from Vespers/Warp Academy design a sound in Live; it's truly eye-opening, inspiring, and humbling - all at the same time.

-Wes
Seasoned IT vet, Mac user, and lover of music. Always learning.

Thanks Wes, I will check the Academy although I have learnt too much now. I need the time to practice and make some music (this is our goal, right? or maybe not :hihi:).

I think my system (laptop with win 8.1 64bit) is ok with Live 9.1.1 64bit as I was doing both midi/audio things today (moving things, editing, cutting ...etc) I didn't have any problem. I used 'high performance' in Power Options when I used cpu hungry plugins. 8)

I see, that most of you are on 64 bits (and probably more than 4 GB RAM). Could this be an issue? "They" say it shouldn't...
I do run Live in admin mode BTW. But that doesn't help.

Another strange thing is that sometimes Live is missing some (randomly) of the VST's. After more times rescanning it will detect the plug's again ... until another day.

I'll agree that some of the effects and instruments in Live Suite are excellent, but there is simply to much great stuff out there.

not on live 9 yet, but i can say that l 8 was buggy in the beginning. they fixed many issues over time to the extent that l 8.4.2 should be the best live 8 version ever.

i still had the one or the other crash until i got live in its x64 version so i would be able to run most plugins in 64bit, utilizing my 8 gb ram. the transition to 64bit made things smooth, i now have a very stable setup here on my pc.

now i can not even once get it to crash, i even use the occasional 32bit plugins jbridged to 64bit.

now i think about upgrading to live 9.
Cylinder Xeon Hexacore 3,5GHz, 64GB RAM, SSDs. DualBoot Mojave/LinuxMint. Steinberg UR22mkII USB audio. M-Audio Axiom 61.
Ableton Live 10, Cubase Pro 12, Logic Pro X
https://www.youtube.com/@landosonic/videos

I understood that Max4Live doesn't work 100% yet in x64 Live 9. Is this correct?

I don't know about that. What little I've done with it has been stable. I don't make my own stuff though.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”