Is Ableton Live 9.1.1 the most unstable version ever?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Live

pdxindy wrote:Live is very solid for me and rarely crashes... and I use almost all 3rd party plugins
Same here. Mostly crashes were observed while using beta versions of certain plugins which was a bug in those plugins which havebeen corrected. Using mostly of 3rd party plugins too.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Last night i've tried to load a project (which contained a M4L device: J74 Progressive) within Live. It failed 4 times and just aborted. I stopped trying (restarting Live) and transferred the tracks manually to a new project, and this time Live did what it's supposed to. Well that was just another night spend, and no music made :(
I am really glad to read, though, that most of you don't have these problems...

Does anyone experiencing problems with Live and RP Blue II, btw? Something like this message: "Blue II VST is not compatible with Live"?!
Last edited by AKoelewijn on Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

BojanKerkez wrote:I had 9.1.1 installed on my system (Windows 7 64-bit) for only several hours and while it didn't crash in that time (must note that Live hasn't crashed on me once since 9.0.6), I reverted to 9.1 cause there was quite a noticeable dip in performance. Pops and clicks everywhere in projects that worked just fine in 9.1. And that's what worries me about Live and Ableton as a company.
I've been trying out Studio One for the past couple of weeks and I have to say that while it has its problems and a number of unnecessary annoyances, it clearly is much more efficient than Live. And rather importantly, it works so much better with older bridged VSTs. I stopped using two of my favourite freewares (Ambience and JB Ferox) altogether cause their parameters could not be adjusted in real time without distorting the sound. I thought it was a problem with bridging, but it turned out it was Live's fault. In 64-bit S1 they work just as they used to in 32-bit Live 8.
I might be wrong, as someone who invested quite a bit of time and money into Live I hope I'm wrong, but I fear the reason why Ableton AG seems so focused on/hiding behind Push and Max4Live right now is because it hasn't got the programming talent that could fix and improve on these and many other issues Live has. And if they'll wait for v10 to do anything about performance issues and general usability, especially given the substantial upgrading price for Suite, I will most likely jump the ship. Unless, of course, Presonus really screws things up with v3.
do you use an asio driver with a sample buffer size that is not 128, 256 or 512, i.e. a number the power of two? since live 9.1 live forces the sample buffer size to such a value. for asio drivers which have other values than those mentioned above, e.g. i use an edirol ua-1000 which does not have a buffer size the power of two, this leads to a drastically decreased performance and audio crackles, where before everything was fine. having noticed this i tried asio4all with my edirol usb interface because asio4all gives you these values. what can i say: the crackes are gone and the cpu consumption is decreased again. without asio4all i got crackles as soon as the cpu meter in live hit 40%, now with asio4all and the correct buffer sizes i can reach 80% and more cpu before i experience the first crackles. i don't know why they decided to force all asio drivers to values the power of two but i think that this is problem for a lot of users which use asio drivers which do not support these values natively (based on the comments on the forum where a lot of people have problems with the latest live versions). maybe you could try this route to get rid of the pops and clicks.
cheers

I know one thing. I really hope ableton will now start working on arrange/split view mixing.

ie a mixer with just mixing features that can be used in arrange view with vertical zoom for folded tracks.

topaz wrote:I know one thing. I really hope ableton will now start working on arrange/split view mixing.

ie a mixer with just mixing features that can be used in arrange view with vertical zoom for folded tracks.
In Live 9 you could use two windows for those, also with a single display.

I have made this screenshot yesterday but not published (this is Live 9.1.1 64-bit):

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

i don't have crash with ableton 9.1.1 apart with Rob Papen effect :-(

AKoelewijn wrote:Last night i've tried to load a project (which contained a M4L device: J74 Progressive) within Live. It failed 4 times and just aborted. I stopped trying (restarting Live) and transferred the tracks manually to a new project, and this time Live did what it's supposed to. Well that was just another night spend, and no music made :(
I am really glad to read, though, that most of you don't have these problems...

Does anyone experiencing problems with Live and RP Blue II, btw? Something like this message: "Blue II VST is not compatible with Live"?!
Yes I'm having a problem with Blue II exactly as you've described, I wrote to Ableton, who told me it's probably because of a mix mat between 32 and 64 bit plugins (It's not) I tried a re-scan of the plugins folder with ALT depressed to clear the blacklist but then Live crashed, with Blue II the culprit.

Looking to RP for a fix, and through Ableton updates.

I will send them a bug pack tonight, but I have to admit, this has happened before to other 3rd party plugins (NI, Lin Plug etc) all since the Verison 9.1 update.

Uninstall blue and remove any associated folders and files tucked away in user folders and then reinstall it.
There could be corrupt onfig file.

Delete Live's Preferences.cfg file

Live can be fickle about plugins on Windows Ive found.
Sometimes it will put out and sometimes it just flirts with you and makes you suffer blue ball syndrome ;)
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Thanks for taking the time but I could absolutely no way mix like that.
Ingonator wrote:
topaz wrote:I know one thing. I really hope ableton will now start working on arrange/split view mixing.

I have made this screenshot yesterday but not published (this is Live 9.1.1 64-bit):

Ingo

topaz wrote:Thanks for taking the time but I could absolutely no way mix like that.
Ingonator wrote:

Ingo
But you can close the Browser on the left, close the device/clip view at the bottom and increase the size of the meters so all you would see is the mixer and the clips above it.

Hitting Tab on the keyboard switches between the Arranger view and the mixer clip view if youre in single window mode
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Live 9.1.2 just went live check your account.

Realise notes https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/liv ... ase-notes/

Thanks, I'll likely wait as though that is a thorough list, nothing really seems to apply to me.

It don't work for me it stops responding while scanning vst on start up. Doh the beta works fine though

That wouldn't be the first time they borked a full release. One of those (9.04 or 5 or some such) had a few really bad bugs that were NOT in the beta.

Did it do it automatically or did you DL it? The reason I ask is because it's possible that dl'ing 9.1.2 might work better than the auto update.

I downloaded it from my Ableton account.

It scans some vsts showing the names of them as it scans then in the launcher it just gets stuck Scanning VST......
In windows task manager it says Live is not responding.

I did update Windows 8.1 to a newer version today before this live update but the last Live 9 beta still works.

I've spent more time using Live beta than the official released version in the last two years. Never had a problem with beta and it always has more features.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”